Sugar - more than rotten teeth

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by NaeKid, Feb 13, 2014.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/diet-fitness/tried+warn+about+sugar/9503788/story.html

The man who tried to warn us about sugar

2. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Hangin' n learnin'

I guess this explains what I already knew, only in more detail. I didn't watch the video, but everything stated in text above makes perfect sense to me. I've been cutting sweets from my diet for over 2 years, after watching my spouse go through type 2 diabetes for a few years. I began seeing signs of pre-diabetes, and decided to take control of it before it took control of me.

Thanks for the post! It reinforces my resolve to continue changing my lifestyle and eating habits for the better...it's far easier to prevent health issues than it is to treat them...my goal is prevention. So far, in the past 5 years, I've stopped consuming alcohol (5yrs), smoking tobacco (2.5yrs), and drastically reduced my processed sugar intake, as well as caffeine (both 3yrs) . My intake of sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol are also being reduced (2yrs), although not completely omitted, but looking for that healthier balance. Balance is key. Making the time and finding the ambition to get out and exercise more is next for me. I figure in a couple more years, my risk for stroke, heart disease and possibly certain cancers should look much better. I've never been overweight, always at a healthy BMI, so I have a good baseline to work with...should be a snap. The best part of all is that the things I'm reducing or omitting for the most part, I don't miss. It's probably because I'm doing it in stages, instead of everything at once...that would be a lot to swallow. But when done in smaller steps, it's actually pretty easy...planning my lunches for work and looking at each food item as a potential threat to my health, so I'm continuously looking for alternatives, as an example. Then, looking for ways to incorporate making it all look, smell and taste good, while mixing-up some varying textures to make it more interesting...so I'll actually eat it. Start with whole foods instead of processed foods, so that you know exactly what goes into your meal, and have control over it...that's is probably the biggest factor for success in creating your personal healthy diet.

But the sugar, hell yeah, that's probably the single largest component which can destroy your health, and it can do it in so many ways...it's nothing to mess with, IMHO. I humbly partake of birthday cakes and such, in moderation, and never on an empty stomach...that goes for any time I eat sugar these days. Eat the sugar, if at all, in moderation, and after eating a full meal first...it won't hit your system so fast that way.

Good health to all!!! Thanks again, NaeKid!!!

3. NavaBoer

NavaBoer Well-Known Member

What a great read!

4. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

I really need to change my eating habits....:eek:

5. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Too much sugar has raised my triglycerides.

It has been very hard for me to cut back sugar :(

6. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Hangin' n learnin'

Yeah, you gotta become a label reader if you eat processed foods to get some idea what is in what you eat (pay attention to portion/serving sizes, as they are grossly under estimating what the average person will eat)...then look for alternatives, with less sodium, cholesterol, sugars (of all forms)...you get the drift. Granola bars is a great example of where you can cut sugars, if you already eat them...some are laden with corn syrups, corn solids and all kinds of nasties that we can live without (and should)...the chocolate dipped bars, or one's that are drizzled with some type of topping are ones to avoid...get ones with nuts/fruit, instead, for some variety in flavor/texture.

It won't happen overnight for anyone, but if you set some realistic goals to reduce the sugars and whatever else you need/want to cut back on, you can build a viable diet over time that will still meet you basic nutritional needs, and, with a little experimenting and patience, will suite your taste buds, too. Take it one bite at a time...before you know it, you'll have made a complete 180* turn and heading towards a healthier you. I feel better now than I have for probably 20 years, and the majority of my changes only took 2-3 years to accomplish...coming from someone who has little ambition or liking for change, that's saying alot.

Oh, just a thought on sugar, since you mentioned cutting back not being easy (it isn't, and you're not alone): most of my previous sugar intake was from coffee. I substitued coffee for decaf green/black/herbal teas (even tried Earl Grey blend...not bad, nice change-up in flavor)...I dropped the sugar and use pure raw honey, instead. Honey has some trace element minerals, flavor (unlike sugar) and a few other nutrients (unlike sugar), so you can get a little something extra from honey, other than just to get a sweet-fix. I don't miss coffee at all, nor the sugar. And, tea is chocked full of antioxidants, and I actually enjoy drinking it...coffee was just something to drink, for me. Coffee has some beneficial aspects as well, if used in moderation, as with anything we consume...moderation. BTW, I tried honey in coffee...once...it's not for everyone, I suspect...rather odd flavor combination...:D

Keep your chin up...start planning your meals and snacks after you arm yourself with more knowledge about what is in what you eat and drink...it all gets easier then. And definitely stay away from the notion of drinking your sugar...man, that hits your blood like a brick, and the older we get, the tougher those sugar spikes are on our pancreas...type-2 diabetes comes from that condition, among others, like insulin resistance. Metabolic syndrome/disease, however you prefer to say it, is a nasty health disorder to treat, especially when combined with type-2 diabetes and a barrage of other health issues...speaking from personal knowledge.

7. cantinawest

cantinawest Solar Cooker

Sugar did me in

I've been a junk food junkie since I was very little and have struggled with it all of my life. I have a hard time cutting back as well.
    And even though I have been thin, the real damage was going on unseen, indside. And now, I have all kinds of issues at 47 years old.
    I should not be feeling the way I do at this age, but it took quite a while for me to finally narrow it down to the culprit. Sugars, nutritionally empty carbohydrates.
    Now there are a lot of books explaining in detail what sugar can do to our bodies...and I never believed it before.

Now I do.

8. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I was pretty amazed how much and how fast my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped when I cut out almost all refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

9. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

Atkins had it right.

Westman had a lot of success, overcoming type II diabetes with low carb diets.

10. dixiemama

dixiemama Well-Known Member

Its been very difficult for me to limit sugars. I am a self proclaimed junk food junkie and while thankfully healthy with no health problems associated with sugar, my family has a LARGE population of diabetes sufferers.

I don't buy cake mixes anymore, I make them from scratch. We use honey or molasses.

E has an addiction to Mtn. Dew. A full blown, absolute addiction. He has slowly been cutting back and I'm very proud of him because I know its hard.

Sent from my MB886 using Survival Forum mobile app

11. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I'm an admitted sugar addict. I grew up that way. If I could find empty pop bottles I could return them for a nickle each and a nickle could get you a nice big Popsicle, three of them could get you a nice big Pepsi so of course looking for bottles was an everyday all day occurrence for me as a kid.
    In the last four months I have made it a point to not eat any "sugary" foods like cake, cookies,etc. I didn't even miss them at the holidays.
    The only sugar I actually use is some local honey in my afternoon tea. But I do eat a good bit of fruit everyday so I guess I am getting alot of sugar that way but I figure it's "natural" sugar so I don't let it get to me.

I feel better overall but I haven't weighed myself or anything to see if I've lost any weight. I stopped obsessing over weight years ago. lol

12. VoorTrekker

VoorTrekker Inconspicuous Been Around Guy

The theory of maximum consumption of the sugar and beverage industries. Why use one teaspoon when you can use three.
    Cut back on sugar by half to two thirds and it is not as harmful.
    I use honey, sometimes molasas (sic) coconut sugar.
    Avoid the artificial sweeteners as well, they are just as harmful.

I drink tea without sugar and use sparingly on ice tea and "Kool-Aid."

13. Davarm

Davarm Texan

That brings back some memories, we would head to the local store going the round about route and find enough soda bottles to get a bag of BB's, a Dr. Pepper and Butterfinger bar but that was when the return for bottles was only three cents.

WoW, how times have changed.

14. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

This thread has been a good read. In 2009 I lost 100 pounds by eating what I thought was correctly and doing cardio exercise. I lived on bagged salad from the grocery store.

In time, I got a promotion that required me to move from home in Pittsburgh to Norfolk, VA for 6 months for training. I left the family behind but they visited occasionally.

I was eating an unsustainable diet and when I got way from home and stressed from training I crashed and put 80 pounds back on.

Now since this past Christmas I've been exercising and watching my diet again, making SURE to have a variety in what I eat. I've also cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I drink coffee black and use pure local honey for my tea. I'd been having back pains and just felt like hell but I'm down 40 pounds now and feel like a champ. I think knocking out the crap in my diet is a big part of that, and I think sugar was a large part of the crap. We have vending machines at work, so a candy bar or pop or cookies is always available. I've started eating balanced meals with occasional treats and I'm doing fine-don't miss the junk at all, most of the time. My mom's diabetic (relatively mild case) and others in the family have it too. I'm predispositioned to it genetically on both sides of the family and really don't want to give it a chance to take root in my system.

I'm 38 and always hear that 40 is when big changes start in one's body and I want to be fit and healthy when that time comes so I can avoid the "40+" ailments as much as possible.