Subsistance Fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by PopPop, Jan 9, 2011.

1. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed fishing all of my life and appreciate the skills and knowledge gathered over these many years, But: If I had to fish for food I sure would get hungry. The competetive Tourney Style fishing I have been doing is not very efficient. Recently I have been aquiring fish baskets and trying them out but I catch mostly turtles. I also have been moving back towards small boats and smaller lakes and rivers. When I was a boy this was all that was available to me and was high adventure indeed. I have discovered that the adventure is still there and it is much more productive than competative tourney fishing. So to the gist of this post, How many of you include fishing in your WSHTF planning. Anybody got tips for successful fish trapping.

2. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

There are several reservoirs, streams and ponds in my area. All contain lots of fish. My plan is trot lines and pole fishing, lots of hooks in the water. I will not be targeting large fish but lots of smaller ones like bream and crappie. Sure a nice huge cat or bass would make a few meals but it is easier to catch smaller fish that hang near the shoreline in schools. I have stockpiled lots of hooks, lots of them, from 10/0 down to size 10. Also have many sabaki rigs.

Next time you are out put a smaller hook on and cast it by the shore, you’ll find all those little guys eager to bite!

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

don't forget night fishing for catfish... set the sinker/weight about 1 1/2 ft above the bait (worm or crawfish) & just tie the line to a stick jammed in the dirt & goto sleep, breakfast in the morning will taste gooooooooood!

a simple small fish/crawdad trap can be made with rolled chicken wire:

make a tube about 1' diameter 1 1/2' - 2' long with inward pointing conical shaped sections of the same with a 2" hole on the ends, cut a rectangularhole in the middle for a hatch to remove the catch & put in the 'bait' (canned catfood with a couple holes in it is cheap & works well)

[​IMG]

or you can buy one...

[​IMG]

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Hey Blob! That trap would work great for the Rusty Crayfish that is just crawling all over the lakes and streams here in MI! The DNR even recommends eating them puppies! I told my Uncle about it and he made a couple traps like yours and they ate them most of the summer this year.
    I might have to get ta working and make a couple for me!

5. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Get a Gill net.. look on line.. there are many sizes and they are simple to use and a bit again the law..:D but when the mushroom clouds rise the limits and need for a lic go away.. you can put a gill net out and in a short time have something to eat.. placed across a stream and you going in and making some splashing will get the fish heading out fast.. full net!!..

In a shtf event it will be a very good tool!..

Gillnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We live on a river (small... 8 - 10 ft wide and a few deep) with our very own 'fish trap' . Some say from the Natives a hundred years ago ... (I say it could have been the boys from the manor, 50/60 years ago)

but ... which ever ... it is cool

someone (natives or boys ;)) made a V in the river with rocks ... this V drops into a 'box' made of rocks again... the rock are now in the 'open trap' but with the change of a few rock could be put in the 'close trap' ...

Again, very cool and easy to do.:D

7. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

I havent been fishing in a couple yrs..but the law if it hasnt changed is
    2 trotlines @ 49 hooks each and 3 poles..I would always go with my friend ..so we could double that..plus the floats..we could live off the fish we caught easy..it was nice...sitting on the bank pole fishing watching the floats and we would ck the trotlines twice a day..biggest problem we had was other ppl..the big bass boats would run through our floats at 50 mph..and then there were the losers who would actually run our trotlines..I couldnt do anything to stop them as I had a jon boat with a 9.9 Evinrude and they had 30-40 hp jobs..really made me mad as my friend and I would have given the fish to them if they had asked..Lord knows we gave away alot of fish over the summers

8. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

Yes trotlines are big around here as well, the problem is just as you encountered, there is no security. That is why I have been trying the traps, they are much easier to hide. One other thing is trotline is much more practical if set and checked by boat. I am thinking tthat using a boat is going to become more and more difficult and exspensive. Where ilive there are 3 watersheds within 2 miles, close enough to walk or bike to.

9. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

I live 1/4 mile from the ocean and I've got a lobster boat... sometimes I long-line, sometimes I jig.

When I go fishing to fill the freezer, I don't want to take all day to do it, so sometimes I use a cast-net like these when a school of mackerel or menhaden swarm through our bay:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nVgU6_YRw&feature=related]YouTube - castnetting mullet[/ame]

- Basey

10. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

You eat menhaden? :confused::eek:

11. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Bunker patee on a ritz!

12. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I consider fishing in shtf to be anything you catch a bonus. I would not rely on this as a full time food supply. Even one person in a small lake could easily eat the lake out in a year or two. For short term if there's great fishing or a steady supply of smaller panfish like crappie or sunfish this to me would be a great source. You can use just about anything to catch these small fish and eat them whole if you have to.

I'm not sure if I found it on this site or not but there is a great site on how to make a 2L pop bottle minnow trap. It works in the same way as any other minnow trap and there you have free bait or a small meal. Essentially you cut the top of the bottle off and put it reverse in the top of the bottle and staple or sew it on, put it in the stream and the fish come in but can't get out.

13. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

The weather is suppose to be sunny with a high of 65* tomorrow, GOING FISHING.
    DH got a new foot controled trolling motor for his birthday last week, can't wait to try it out.

14. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Update, the weather was beautiful, the trolling motor worked great, the lake was calm and crystal clear and I think that was the problem, the fish could see us before we got to them. Not one bite, but we had fun anyway. It is always good to get away for a few hours and do nothing but enjoy the scenery.

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I am fortunate to live in the Western Lake Erie Basin, We have lots of fish. Alot of people I know have 100 plus #s put away, ice fishing has been good also. Our primary concern is the Chineese Carp, it will destroy our eco system, lots of healthy tastey protein right now trhough.

16. BillM

BillM BillM

My dad was a Combat Engineer during WWII.

He told me that they regularly fished to supplement their rations.

Of course they used hand grenades !

:hmmm:

17. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

I think the Chinese carp are edible.

18. sailaway

I've wondered about dynamite? used to throw M80s in when I was a kid,(the good ones) they would throw a fountain of water about 12' in the air. I hind site if through them in the right place, they might have stunned fish. Now they would only attract homeland security, can't be too carefull when it comes to our neighbors to the north.:eek::surrender::D

19. sailaway

Your right philjam, they are, so are the carp and sheephead that are already in Lake Erie. They just wont taste as good. A # of Lake Erie yellow perch costs more than a good steak at the meat market. If I had to survive around here, I would rather eat perch or walleye. We also have steelhead, some salmon and catfish along with the bass that are fun to catch. I would hate to have to give the selection up for Chineese Carp to survive on. However my cousins Uncle Louis knew how to make really tastey smoked carp. Around here smoking fish has become a lost art from a generation ago. I should probably look into that.:cool:

20. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

I have often wondered about the cost effectivness and taste quality of salting and smoked fish such as Bass, Bream and Catfish. I know my mom says that when she was a little girl, they would seine the creek and smoke the fish. But they also already had a smoke house and a salt house. I think that I would gladly trade my Bass Boat for a good smoke house and salting room and the knowledge to make good use of them