Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and no doubt this has been discussed. I drive a lot for work and listen to numerous Audible books. One being Ted Kopples, "LightsOut".

In listening I heard for the first time about the StuxNet Virus being employed against Iranian uranium centrifuge plant by the US and Israel.

The issue now seems that it's been copied and several Nation States now have the ability to deploy it.

So then, should we expect retaliation against our power grid servers?

I stir the pot and am interested in thoughts and comments.

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
StuxNet is the name from the anti virus workers that discovered it. The name comes from 2 words found in the program its self. The actual name is "Olympic Games".

Foreign governments have been attacking the US's power grid, government, business web sites for years. There have been mysterious power outages that effected large portions of the country. In one case the entire Northwest portion of the US went dark and it was blamed on a squirrel and media bought it.

In England, the PM made a speech saying that their power could not be effected by a cyber attack and then the next day the entire southern portion went black. Apparently the hackers was laughing for weeks.

In California a power sub station was attacked with military precision and they were never caught. This substation was the power for the entire San Francisco area.

Yes, the possibility of a total blackout is real.

BTW welcome to the forum!

·
Time Traveler
3,917 Posts
"LightsOut" is a good read.

With or without StuxNet power, water, sewer, and so many other things are reliant on the net today. StuxNet was not the first virus and it isn't the last. Nation States and individuals have been probing our weaknesses for decades and will continue.

The Chinese and Russians are probing us daily and we didn't use StuxNet against them. Retaliation or first strike, virus or EMP, you might wish to prepare for a loss of electricity.

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
StuxNet as several different versions and has/had been refined over and over again. The newer versions can infect computer systems that even have "air gaps" which means that the invaded system has no connections to the grid.

The experts have still not discovered how it works.

Even though the US government has not admitted responsibility, there is a line in the code that shut off all attacks 9 days before Obama took office, but within a week StuxNet was reinitiated.

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
Preparing for one thing gets you prepared for all things. I think less about possible scenarios now and just try and approach situations with the "what would I need to be completely self sufficient, what are my resources/capabilities, how do I get what I need and improve on my skill set?"mindset. When I get confused I come here and ask questions of the gurus :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts