Stuffed Mushrooms

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by allen_idaho, Apr 4, 2010.

1. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

My wife goes bonkers for these every time I make them so I thought I would share them with all of you. Even though they are most likely very bad for you.

What you will need:
    - Edible Mushrooms of any type
    - Butter
    - Cream Cheese
    - Mozarella or other cheese

1. Preparing the mushrooms. I usually will separate the stems from the caps and chop half of the stems into little pieces. The rest I will leave whole.

2. Sautee the Mushrooms. In a sauce pan, melt some butter and sautee the mushroom caps and stems thoroughly. They will shrink quite a bit but that is normal.

3. Transfer the sauteed mushrooms to an oven pan.

4. In the sauce pan, mix the chopped stem pieces with a cube of cream cheese. Let the cream cheese melt into a liquidy form. Stir a lot to keep it from burning.

5. Pour the cream cheese sauce into the mushrooms. Cover with a thin layer of mozarella or other cheese. Whatever you prefer.

6. Place the mushrooms into the oven until the top cheese layer is melted and golden brown.

7. Serve, eat, enjoy.

2. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good recipe.

As a variation, thaw package of frozen spinach, squeeze out as much of the water as possible by hand, run it through a food processor, (or chop finely by hand) and add to the mushroom/cream cheese mixture, (you could also add some finely chopped bacon). Fill the caps with the mixture, top with Mozzarella, (you could also use Panko bread crumbs seasoned with garlic and butter). Put under the broiler until the cheese or bread crumb mixture browns.

[​IMG]

3. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

That sounds really good. I might try adding bacon next time. Trying to get my wife to eat spinach, however, is a herculean task that I'm pretty sure I would lose.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Sound great!

Mushrooms & cream cheese added to shopping list!

5. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

stick a mini shrimp on that cream cheese :)

6. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

another variation is to use portabella mushrooms (the big suckers), and smear them with green (basil) pesto, cover with mozza, and broil...

...it is really unfortunate that hubby can't stand mushrooms...

7. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

I think I put on a couple of pounds just reading this thread.

8. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I'll take a dozen..you do deliver yes? OR..I could stop by for them on my next run to MT...:D

9. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Stuffed Morels anybody? I'll be looking today while brooke trout fishing, if I get some I'll try to convert this recipe, try to keep the hollow tops intact but still clean them properly in this way. Anybody stuffed morels before?

10. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Nope, just pickled them.

11. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Wild rice makes a nice addition also