Storing powdered foods

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by johnathanrcannon, Apr 22, 2011.

1. johnathanrcannon

johnathanrcannon New Member

Hello,
    I am fairly new to food storage and I just powdered some eggs and I was wondering what the best way to store them long term would be. I have mason jars, but am worried that using the pressure cooker to seal them would let water into the eggs and destroy the entire process. Any recommendations?

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

There are a few options, you could put a bit of dry ice in with the eggs and then seal it up, it will drive out the oxygen or buy a few of the oxygen grabber packets and put a couple in the jar with the eggs or get what I have-a foodsaver vac-packer with the mason jar attachment and suck the air out.
    I'm sure that others here will have more options for ya!

And :welcome:

3. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I have some in mylar w/ O2 absorbers, some in the freezer and some "use now" stashed in the fridge. I guess time will tell what works best.

4. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

You can freeze eggs very successfully. note: I dont like relying on a freezer due to the possibility of losing power, long term... that said. I have successfully frozen fresh eggs from my chickens. Ya scramble em.. add a tsp of sale to about 12 eggs and freeze in ice cube trays. These eggs will be sealed in bags and tossed in the freezer for use as breakfast eggs, omelets etc. Also you can freeze eggs another way... scramble them, add a tsp of honey and mix well into a doz eggs. Freeze in ice cube trays and once frozen, seal em up in bags. The latter eggs are used for baking.

5. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I would love to know how to powder eggs. I bought a #10 of eggs and butter tonight at walmart. I didn't know they carried things like this.

6. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

There's a couple vids on youtube.