Storing or preparing?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SageAdvicefarmgirl, Aug 21, 2011.

1. SageAdvicefarmgirl

SageAdvicefarmgirl Well-Known Member

Talking to folks who don't have a clue, I explain this:

Pioneers to a new area would always build a "store" of necessary items and as often as they were able, would "put by" more food, firewood, and ANY other essentials as they possibly could. In summer they would STOCK UP on everything from their garden, the field, and the woods. Canning, preserving, root cellaring, smoking meats, chopping wood, gathering nuts, hay, ALL was done as if their life depended on it (because it DID!) They might trade surplus for items they could not produce themselves...tools, cloth, etc. In the middle of winter when the cupboard ran out, they ran to their "store" to replenish.

We've seen the lists of "preps" to have. I know many of you are going one (or 10!) step(s) more. May I suggest a goal of STORING one years supply of food, water and essentials (whatever that means to you) on hand for when TSHTF. When that is complete, or as you are compiling it, focus on areas of your life where you could become more self-sufficient. PREPARING to take care of yourself and your family...For beginners, Lowe's Home Center ( or Amazon, too)has a book The Backyard Homestead that gives ideas to "grow all the food you need on a quarter acre", the typical size home lot in most towns. If you have a larger "homestead", have a warehouse and tools, the basis of providing skilled labor for making or repairing equipment, you are even more self sufficient.:beercheer:

We in America have lost our "Pioneer Spirit". We are enslaved consumers of foreign products, we spend thousands of dollars on mostly unused "STUFF" :gaah: then have to rent storage units to keep it. (Interesting note: Storage Units are not thriving businesses in other countries!) :scratch If more of our population were considering how to get even SOME of the basics of self-sufficiency, we'd save our country from the threat of Economic Collapse and TEOTWAWKI.

If we add in the idea of Reduce, ReUse, & Recycle, lower our consumption, learn to become producers again, who knows, maybe America could be the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave".:2thumb:

IMAGINE THAT!

2. mamacita

mamacita Active Member

A lot of people near me are beginning to "store" at least a little food. I think it's more in an effort to save money than to be prepared, but every little bit helps. I've heard random people around town talking about couponing particularly with regard to using coupons while Publix has BOGO items. People are becoming more aware that the stores put things on sale in cycles, and are stocking up until the next sale.

3. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

We live in a land where common sense has been derided for a long time. Canning you own food was seen as hokey or odd. The pendulum is swinging and soon we will see a time where home food production is vital to persoanl and economic survival.

In this sense I choose to embrace the coming challenges as a cleansing process. I couldn't help note that you invoked the image of the pioneer. Having a "frontier" was a force for cultural good. It challenged people and built leaders. Since we have lost that our society has suffered.

4. crazychickenlady

crazychickenlady Well-Known Member

I have thought about these things for a long time...pretty much since I was a kid. It is really nice to know that I'm not the only one...:wave:

I try to approach the subject with all the people I care about, without getting too preachy. Some were already on board, some are getting it now, and others think of me as the crazy, but (hopefully) loveable friend. :kiss:

The future is our new frontier. You never know what it will bring, so try to be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Happy prepping!

5. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I agree we need at least 1 yr. supply of food and water and medical stored. I do have a problem with paying for a storage facility. The cheapest around here is $50/mo. That's $600/yr. and that is not climate controlled. I think how many additional preps I could purchase with that $600. My preps are everywhere, under the beds, storage totes in the floor of the closets, in the corners with a nice table cloth over them to make it look like a table. I know not everyone has the room especially those in apartments, if I were to rent a storage room, I would invest in a climate controlled one.

6. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

We're storing a year's supply of everything but we don't have land for a garden or a root cellar. I wouldn't want to rent a storage unit. When things get bad that stuff would get stolen anyway. I think when hyperinflation hits the police won't be patrolling. There'll be desperate people raiding storage units for anything they can sell to buy food. We have stuff in our garage but that's going to get moved inside too.

7. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I think the point about the storage unit is that we buy too much crap that we have to pay to store it. Not that we should rent storage units to store our preps. If we (Americans) didnt spend all our money on crap we could spend more on being prepared. Good stuff.

8. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

Both! Storing AND Preparing. I'm w/ Clarice and Bill, trying to find places in the house to store stuff, but I'm running out of space. We are blessed in that we do have space to garden, but where do you put it? I know I'm not supposed to put all the eggs in one basket, but how can one afford another basket? God forbid, if something happened to the house, there went the stores. :(

9. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Not that I have one but Ive always wanted a detached subterranean space for storage and emergency living... somewhere on the back forty (which I dont have either).

10. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

Ditto! ;)

11. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

For those of you who believe that you will be "safe" with a six months supply, think again...........at least......I say again.....at least a two years suppy you should have handy, and thats only for food........for anything else you better have it for years and years.

Good buy at Wally's for sox, shorts and T-shirts........I just got another load of them :2thumb:

12. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm at the one year point without rationing for 8 (there are 3 here, with 3 more down the road, but I expect 'company' :rolleyes: ) with surplus in some other things...

I'm not sure how everyone else will react to the 'menu'...

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I went from prepping for7 down to 1. It's interesting what people will learn to eat when they are hungry.:)

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Hi, Ponce...this subject is being discussed a lot lately. I bought $7 and $10 dollar jeans again at kmart today and $3.50 shirts. That makes 17 jeans and 13 shirts for next year or later...with lots of briefs, socks, shoelaces, sports bras, undies. I took the news that cotton will double seriously--looks as if you did too.
    Dollar Tree had the cutest socks for children...3/$1. And I got children's Hanes T-shirts for $1.

15. SageAdvicefarmgirl

I believe you are right, bill, storage units won't be safe storage. Better to talk to ( or make) a friend in the country to prep with.

On that note, I am trying to get to know my neighbors better. How you are able to interract with them now may make a difference in a SHTF scenario!

16. SageAdvicefarmgirl

Rural America

My point is to encourage people to plan a way-if possible-to provide your own food,clothing, and necessities.

I know this may sound drastic, but I have visited many a small town in the midwest (OK, KS, TX, NM) where the town has dwindled to a very small population due to lack of jobs, mostly agricultural hubs. Homes in some of these towns are for sale at a fraction of the price elsewhere. I heard of a 3 BR 1 BA home in Gate, OK that sold for around $6,000. They are ususally older homes on HUGE lots (sometimes an acre or more). If I were stuck in a big city, I think I'd be looking into buying a "2nd home" in rural america. Many owners will finance the homes themselves, carry the note at a going interest rate, just for the monthly payments to boost their personal income. The great thing about these areas are that 1-they are AGRICULTURAL, can you say "fertile?" and 2-they are far away from the problems inherent to large cities in a SHTF scenario, 3-these old farm folk are usually friendly and helpful if the newcomer is honest and open with them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  17. SageAdvicefarmgirl

Thanks for clarifying my point! One of the first things we did --way back when--was to look around at all the S#!t (stuff) we had, and decided to sell, recycle, give away, or otherwise transfer our holdings so that we no longer had useless things. By useless, I mean expensive fancy furniture, toys, etc. What we kept were tools and , well, mostly tools! If something we own doesn't get used, it gets new owners!

18. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I'm not too bright when it comes to economics, but wouldn't the increase in frugality and home food production worsen the economic status of the Country? How do we climb out of the hole that has been dug?:scratch Who or what can really be blamed? I don't even think blame can be focused on only one person or thing really. Someone educate this kid! (Me) :D Sorry for hijacking OP!

19. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

Good show amigos, "Better to have it and not needed than to needed and not have it".......I wonder who came up with this but I do like it.

Instead of buying clothing at a regular store I would suggest for you to go to a thrieft store where the conditions of the clothing will be almost like new and for 1/10 of the price.

Buy lantern matles at Wally's and buy and adapter to transfer propane from the big 20 gallons to the tiny bottles.....buy wicks and keep them handy sinse you can make a lamp with just about anything and burn also just about anything.

I only have 46 lantern mantles is stock......I'd better get some more :D

20. ashley8072

ashley8072 The only one responsible for yourself, is you!

Doing both. I've always been an avid camper and backpacker, but in light of recent events and time setting in, I've been doing actual serious prepping for about 6 months. We live on a 430acre farm with livestock and more. Hunting and fishing not further than a stone throw away. However, I recently realized that there are several things on the list of Surviving, that I have had to learn. I learned how to do Canning last week. I found out how to make homemade ice cream. Many other things that was more of a treat, than a job to do, when I was little. Lucky for us, I know how to weld using a Mig, tig and Torch. Hubby builds homes from ground up. And last we checked, we have got some serious garden skills. ;) For the past 2 months, 3 days a week I stop at any of the 5 Dollar stores on the way home and buy 10 of 2 things of whatever we haven't got. Today, it was deodorant and kippers. This weekend will be even more as apparently it is $5 off of spending $25. :)