Stored Coffee an Creamer

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, Apr 10, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I put some freeze dried coffee an non dairy creamer in mylar bags an vac sealed em taday. Ok, so it ain't as good, but in bad times it gonna be better then nothin!

We also got alotta them little foil packets a flavorins fer water to, hey anythin will be a comfort durin a disaster.

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have to say that while I would not want to brew up a cup a instant coffee at home, I have been camping and hiking and that cup of instant coffee with the powdered sugar and powdered creamer sure hit the spot after a long day on the trail and in the morning after finding the "wonder rock" all night long... Wonder rock--the rock that ends up under your tent and sleeping bag in the middle of your back when you know that you checked the ground before you pitched the tent!;) And you wonder where the heck it came from..:gaah:
    The powdered bullion is a good thing to have on hand too(or cubed) it might not be something that I would use now, but when we camped and such, a couple cubes added to your rice or instant potatoes really enlivens the meal. It also made a nice hot cup of broth when I got sick during a hiking trip too. Sure it is only flavored and mostly salt but when you are "getting rid" of fluids that salt and water sure helps.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I just don't get the coffee thing. :dunno: but I do get the Wonder rock. lol been there and done that.

Give me my water ... just plan and simple ... :2thumb:

Congrats on adding more to your stores. :D Like you said better than nothin.

4. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

Add in some packets of hot chocolate mix and you have mocha! Yum. :)

5. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Put some fillable tea bags or better still the steel mesh tea diffuser balls and make tea out of what's growing. Chamomile anyone? (I know, I know, not suitable for NBC cover situation, but let's not get TOO out of hand, lol.)

6. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Yep, coffee is probably one of the main things I am storing. Good coffee.

My husband can't take a dump without his morning coffee... Could you imagine living with that!!! :surrender:

7. MrSfstk8d

While I was living and working in SE Asia, I learned to appreciate the simple pleasure of a steaming hot cup of water after a meal. You'd be surprised how much that will get things "going" just like that hot cuppa joe in the morning, lol.

8. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

We are big coffeemate folks around here... SO... take this for what its worth.... I called carnation and nestle's to find out what the shelf life for coffeemate is, explaining that we do alot of long term food storage. After being tranbdferred to 40 or so people there- I was able to get an answer to question "it's dated.. 2 yr shelf life. " I said 'yes but what if its kept cool, dry, packed in an O2 free environment....' "Two years" he said. Take it for what its worth

9. MrSfstk8d

"You have your mission, team. This creamer will self destruct in 3... 2... "

LOL

10. Akaalbany

Akaalbany Akaalbany

Coffeeeeeeee

The Sh-- Would really hit the fan If I didnt have coffee. Would be a really ugly sight.:eek:

11. OldCootHillbilly

Ya know why they won't give yall a answer? Cause they put that date on there an that be what there liable fer, if they said 5 years an yall used it in 5 years an got sick ya could claim there liable cause they said it would last that long.

Just like many canned goods still be fine long after there date on the can, this should last longer in a cool, dark, airfree enviroment. Course yer mileage could vary!:D Really, does anybody know what this stuff is made outa anywho?:scratch

12. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

I am storing coffee, tea bags, and cocoa. I have the money and the space. What the heck

13. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

I am LDS and don't drink coffee. But I have it in my storage because I'll be using it as a trade item some day.

14. RossA

RossA Active Member

Exactly. I would want coffee for myself, but also as trade goods. When the unprepared coffee addicts find themselves without coffee, they will trade almost anything to get their fix.

15. storm

storm New Member

The Asian markets around the PNW have what they call "3 in 1" coffee. They are coffee, non-dairy and sugar. They come sealed in little foil or plastic packets. Some brands are better than others. Just add hot water. I do not know the true shelf life but exp. date is 2 years from now. I plan on storing some of the packets along with instant coco mix in food saver bags inside sealed 3 gallon buckets.

16. Hopetobeready

Hopetobeready Member

Stored Coffee and Creamer

Where would you buy these?

17. OldCootHillbilly

If yall askin bout the coffee an creamer I stored, I just bought the freeze dried coffee an a non dairy creamer at the grocery store an packaged em up myself. Be the way we do most a our storage foods.

The asian stuff I ain't never seen before. Might have ta do a little diggin on that one cause we ain't got a asian store nowhere close ta us.

18. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I have about 40 lbs of coffee put away at this point and try to add 4 or so pounds every cpl weeks.
    Yes Storm, those little packets are worth their weighht in gold for barter. I bought 500 of those pkts at amazon for about $30. If ya ask me- they are well worth the price for bartering 8-10 at a time. They have one packet of sugar- one of coffee creamer and one of instant maxwell house coffee and a stirrer. All that is in a little sealed clear plastic bag about 2" by 4". I'm going to reseal them as is, in bags with my daisy seal a meal- .. maybe a 10 pack in each bag, then seal em all up in abother bag and in a bucket. Please forgive any typos. Had one cataract removed 2 days ago and things are still quite blurry.
    Additionally- I can't type worth a darn LOl

19. storm

storm New Member

I have not seen those that are seperate like that. What a good buy! I will be hunting for those now. The packets I got at the Asian market were already mixed together in a sealed 1 serving packet. I got a bag of 30 packets for around $4. You got a much cheaper deal.
    Oh, do not worry, I do not pay any attention to typos as I do it all the time myself.

20. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

I am wondering why you didn't leave these in their original containers? When something comes presealed in a jar, I leave it there. I have both instant coffee and non dairy creamer in their original jars in my preps. I really don't see any purpose in re-packaging them.