Storage Question

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Linda61, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Ok now I have some flour stored, what about the yeast? I have baked bread before, however the yeast doesn't seem to be any good after just a few months, how do I store the yeast so it stays active. Does a food sealer work?

2. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

I only buy 1# foil packages.

I keep the original foil pack in my freezer. Still active year after date.

Keep open pack in glass bottle in refig.

3. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Thanks, can you advise where you buy this type of yeast, only seen them in the little paper packages

4. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

5. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Here's a link to the yeast thread. It has information on storing yeast. You can make your own and continue to grow it for the rest of your life! How cool is that? I thought it was cool. My own little science experiment! :p

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f36/yeast-5211/

6. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Again thanks for the info, got one more thing off my list of what do I do's

Only been prepping seriously for a few weeks,have always get a few months of food on hand but feel now I need way more in the last few weeks have got a lot, even more if my orders ever show up, but gosh still have a long way to go. Thanks for the help and will probably be calling on your insite another time

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I get my bulk yeast from Emergency Essentials. I think it is on sale this month but I don't have their catalog with me.