Storage Cornbread!

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, Mar 6, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Took some a our stored corn taday an ground it inta meal then made a pan a cornbread!

Here be our setup:
    [​IMG]

An the corn meal we made:
    [​IMG]

An the finished product:
    [​IMG]

We dry sweetcorn, so this made a nice sweet cornbread! I posted the recipe over on our blogsite.

2. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Yum!! I'll be right over...

(j/k)

3. OldCootHillbilly

Sorry, to late we done ate the whole thing! A little butter an honey an that pan was clean enough ta hang back up!:D

4. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Spill the beans, share the recipe!

5. OldCootHillbilly

So simple ya won't beleive it:

Storage Cornbread

1 C cornmeal
    1 C flour
    2 tsp bakin powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 C milk
    1/4 C oil

Mix dry stuffs tagether an add in milk an oil, mix well, then put in a greased pan an bake at 350° fer bout 30 minutes just till the center is nice an firm. This can also be done in a dutch oven.

All this stuff should be in yer storage foods. I dry sweetcorn cause it be so versatile, rehydrate fer eatin corn, grind fer meal an such. Dry milk reconstatuted works well to.

6. nj_m715

Sounds good, I'll try when we finish off the biscuits we made this weekend. We do them just about the same way with small cast iron pans in the toaster oven. We already have the corn meal because we ground up some corn for grits a few weeks ago. Thanks

7. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

LOVE cornbread! Thanks Coot!

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

You grain mill looks just like mine!
    One question tho-is that just dried sweet corn that was picked like when you would eat it sweet(aka the native Americans would call it green corn) or was it sweet corn that you let go to seed and then picked like a good dent or flour corn?

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I make buttermilk cornbread--got my powder buttermilk today...now, to solve the bacon grease problem...hmmmmm

10. OldCootHillbilly

Actually the vast majority a what I dry is canned, I got a place I get a swingin deal on it. Works out real well.

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Can you imagine how yummy fresh picked and dried sweet corn would be!:eek: I am so gonna have to buy extra from the guy down the road this summer! He does such a good job I don't bother any longer. But I wonder how good sweet corn that is left to go to seed and dried and ground would taste? I see a possible test run in my future!:D

12. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

13. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys Active Member

A guy I knew years ago used to let the sweet corn dent in the patch, then pick it and let it hang from the cloths line to dry. He would then shell it and fry it in butter, making partched corn. That stuff was worse than pop corn, once you started you couldn't quit!

14. afreeradical

afreeradical Member

Man that pan of cornbread looks good! You just flung a craving on me!

15. OldCootHillbilly

Mighty tastey with a dab a butter an some honey!

16. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

There are many types of corn; which one would I grow so that I could grind to make cornbread like yours? I love cornbread!

17. OldCootHillbilly

Same corn ya use fer cannin, a sweet corn. It be easy ta dry an can be used fer so many things, be one a the main items in our inventory.

18. afreeradical

afreeradical Member

Thank you for this recipe! I tried it last night and it was outstanding! First time I ever made cornbread in my cast iron fry pan!

19. nj_m715

We made some this morning. The flavor was fine, but it was light, dry and crumbled. We used wheat flour, not white. Could that have been the problem? Would an egg help or maybe the dough was too dry to start with? Thanks

20. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

JayJay, you can can your own bacon and then can the grease from it too. Lay the bacon out flat on parchment paper. Lay another layer of paper over the bacon. Fold in half or whatever , till it fits into your jar. Process the jars as you would any pork or meat... (90 mins in a pressure canner at 12 lbs pressure). The resulting bacon is cooked but you can brown it