Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took some a our stored corn taday an ground it inta meal then made a pan a cornbread!

Here be our setup:

An the corn meal we made:

An the finished product:

We dry sweetcorn, so this made a nice sweet cornbread! I posted the recipe over on our blogsite.

·
BucketHunter
112 Posts
Yum!! I'll be right over...

(j/k)

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, to late we done ate the whole thing! A little butter an honey an that pan was clean enough ta hang back up!:D

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So simple ya won't beleive it:

Storage Cornbread

1 C cornmeal
1 C flour
2 tsp bakin powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/4 C oil

Mix dry stuffs tagether an add in milk an oil, mix well, then put in a greased pan an bake at 350° fer bout 30 minutes just till the center is nice an firm. This can also be done in a dutch oven.

All this stuff should be in yer storage foods. I dry sweetcorn cause it be so versatile, rehydrate fer eatin corn, grind fer meal an such. Dry milk reconstatuted works well to.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
Sounds good, I'll try when we finish off the biscuits we made this weekend. We do them just about the same way with small cast iron pans in the toaster oven. We already have the corn meal because we ground up some corn for grits a few weeks ago. Thanks

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You grain mill looks just like mine!
One question tho-is that just dried sweet corn that was picked like when you would eat it sweet(aka the native Americans would call it green corn) or was it sweet corn that you let go to seed and then picked like a good dent or flour corn?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I make buttermilk cornbread--got my powder buttermilk today...now, to solve the bacon grease problem...hmmmmm

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You grain mill looks just like mine!
One question tho-is that just dried sweet corn that was picked like when you would eat it sweet(aka the native Americans would call it green corn) or was it sweet corn that you let go to seed and then picked like a good dent or flour corn?
Actually the vast majority a what I dry is canned, I got a place I get a swingin deal on it. Works out real well.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Actually the vast majority a what I dry is canned, I got a place I get a swingin deal on it. Works out real well.
Can you imagine how yummy fresh picked and dried sweet corn would be!:eek: I am so gonna have to buy extra from the guy down the road this summer! He does such a good job I don't bother any longer. But I wonder how good sweet corn that is left to go to seed and dried and ground would taste? I see a possible test run in my future!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
A guy I knew years ago used to let the sweet corn dent in the patch, then pick it and let it hang from the cloths line to dry. He would then shell it and fry it in butter, making partched corn. That stuff was worse than pop corn, once you started you couldn't quit!

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mighty tastey with a dab a butter an some honey!

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same corn ya use fer cannin, a sweet corn. It be easy ta dry an can be used fer so many things, be one a the main items in our inventory.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
We made some this morning. The flavor was fine, but it was light, dry and crumbled. We used wheat flour, not white. Could that have been the problem? Would an egg help or maybe the dough was too dry to start with? Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
JayJay, you can can your own bacon and then can the grease from it too. Lay the bacon out flat on parchment paper. Lay another layer of paper over the bacon. Fold in half or whatever , till it fits into your jar. Process the jars as you would any pork or meat... (90 mins in a pressure canner at 12 lbs pressure). The resulting bacon is cooked but you can brown it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts