Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If people spent more time living, really aggressively go'for it living, there would be less of this survival sillyness.

Are you missing out on the experience of aliveness, because of your survival phobia..........????

You are going to Die, that is for sure.....100% for sure. In the meantime embrace aliveness. Don't worry....be happy.

The truth is despite all of your preparations, you will most likely die in a vehicle crash, or in a hospital bed, with drain tubes sticking out everywhere, from some disease.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Although you put a decidedly negative spin on things, this is essentially what I was getting at with my thread here.

I wouldnt let my preps get in the way of life (i have little preps and little life by some standards) but I think there probably are some folks that do. From the responses I got to my thread it sounded like most folks on here have a positive attitude about it and dont let their preps get in the way of life either. I was pleasantly surprised! :congrat:

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
As good as any thread to throw it in so I'll post it here. One of my personal favorites.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I agree to some extent,but once you've been without food or water for awhile you always wish you'd prepared.

Also life is for living,and not in constant fear,we all die sooner or later but nobodys in a hurry or wants to die unnessasarily.

I was just tellign my hubby,we need to start living some and enjoy whats left of life.I'm sure man here do just that have fun and prepare.This luxuary belongs to those who have the money to do both and familes who help them.Most families live in denial.

A happy medium is whats needed.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I always try to live life to the fullest knowing that death can come in so many ways and unexpectedly but it is a foolish person who refuses to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I do not stand around and wring my hands and worry about whether or not I am prepped enuf, cuz there is no such thing as being fully prepared.(my opinion)
Worry is like a rocking chair-gives you something to do but doesn't take ya anywhere.;)

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I've never known anybody that said, "damn, I wish I wouldn't have wasted all that time & money on food, fuel, and other necessities... I just have too much"

heard plenty of kvetching the other way tho, from a LOT of 'grasshoppers'

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Some of us do get burned out with all this and so we rant.And we do need some fun time or we get nuts after awhile.:nuts:
I grew up doing all this and thought it was normal for a large part of my life so I'm not really 'adjusting' to anything so far, but I guess I can see that changing lifestyles can be stressfull.

Better to lament what you did as opposed to what you didn't do, in all areas of your life? :dunno:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
At times I will take a trip without leaving the farm.

I jack up the old music and some of the new and dance if knee ok and just move with it if knees having bad month .Either way I can always be where ever it leads me.Strauss,Bing,No Doubt,Alman Bro.s,George Jones,Michael Jackson,All Green and many more.Its all good and according to mood.

When we leave we like the water,the ocean or beach.I try to wait for full moon to take the trip to the beach,irs so beautiul with the moon shining,turning the serf a beaming silver.Nothing like being rocked to sleep in a boat on The St.Johns River either while you watch the falling stars.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If people spent more time living, really aggressively go'for it living, there would be less of this survival sillyness.

Are you missing out on the experience of aliveness, because of your survival phobia..........????

You are going to Die, that is for sure.....100% for sure. In the meantime embrace aliveness. Don't worry....be happy.

The truth is despite all of your preparations, you will most likely die in a vehicle crash, or in a hospital bed, with drain tubes sticking out everywhere, from some disease.
I don't have a phobia. I'm preparing for an event that absolutely will happen within the next five years. We WILL see so much hyperinflation that the dollar will be worth NOTHING. The dollar will lose it's status as the world's reserve currency and OPEC will stop accepting dollars in payment for oil. The federal government will go bankrupt and so will all state and local governments. There will be no services that are normally provided like police, fire protection, electricity, or water. Gasoline will get so expensive that food won't be shipped across the country anymore. Millions will die. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

I've been preparing but I still sleep well at night. My life is calm and happy. I don't have to taunt people who are smarter than me like you do.

·
Grunt
101 Posts

Live with passion or stop stealing oxygen from those that Are LIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have a phobia. I'm preparing for an event that absolutely will happen within the next five years. We WILL see so much hyperinflation that the dollar will be worth NOTHING. The dollar will lose it's status as the world's reserve currency and OPEC will stop accepting dollars in payment for oil. The federal government will go bankrupt and so will all state and local governments. There will be no services that are normally provided like police, fire protection, electricity, or water. Gasoline will get so expensive that food won't be shipped across the country anymore. Millions will die. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

I've been preparing but I still sleep well at night. My life is calm and happy. I don't have to taunt people who are smarter than me like you do.
Touche, living the best for now, prepared for the worst that will come......never looking back

·
Registered
135 Posts

Some say being prepared for ANYTHING IS the best way to enjoy life, because you realize IF something bad happens, you will most likely avoid being one of the sniveling zombies "like in Katrina" waiting for help from a Government that most likely will not come for weeks, IF EVER.

If you have plenty of preparation and survival plans and think ahead, THAT IS PIECE OF MIND and happy living.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts

I am happy ... :D

But it is a way of life ... I can't change it because I have tried and it don't work. :wave: (*Andi in the city!!!!!!:eek:)

I love my critters and can't do without them ... they are part of my world. Just like the garden, it is part of me and I can't do without it.

Yes, I will spend hours canning or tending a critter but that IS MY life ...

Mother earth calls, and I can not turn my back to that call ...

And yea, I know how a vehicle crash can take a life ... but that does not change how I want to live. (or how they were living at the time.)

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You do know this is the exact same story that I/we were reacting to in 1964 some 45+ years ago. Yes, I have been prepping all that long. And what I have learned is that the end always seems so very near, but somehow another set of illusions keeps being fabricated, and the con continues. I expect we will see the fabrication of the "Universal Galaxy Bank" which will be funded, and buy up all the bonds of the entire planet, quasi "The World Bank".

Odd that you experience being "Taunted", even odder that you would blame me for your fabricated experiences, especially as you state, your superior intelligence. If it makes you happy to be superior, I am happy for you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
by being prepared, i can relax and enjoy things knowing that I will still eat tomorrow. yes some people do go a little over board and don't enjoy life. but i do believe most of us would go fishing or hunting to have fun. much of what we do for fun is used for prepping. but is also a hobby. besides when i stop to smell the flowers, they are in my garden, becoming beans tomatoes, onions, herbs, ...............:flower:

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
With all due respect, I disagree with the premis that prepping means a person is phobic.

We have car insurance; does that make us phobic about being in a car accident? We have home insurance; does that make us phobic about something happening to our house?

We have candles/matches and flashlights at various locations in the house; does that make us phobic about losing electricity? We seek alternate water supplies; does that make us phobic about having a drought? (Actually, we live in the country and do lose electricity, and we did have a drought last year - we would choose to ignore those facts, but it seems a bit odd to be considered paranoid if we do something to prepare.)

We do other prepping activities like freezing/canning/drying. Helps us buy low and buy a lot, and also to grow our own food and save it over the year. Does that make us phobic, or just economical/practical?

The more self-sufficient our family becomes, the more alive we become. We connect to our creator rather than our government. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Heck... I've been living more since I "woke up" then I was before hand. New skills, new toys...er um equipment :), etc. Before it was a routine with no planning and very few new experiences. A lot of day to day.

Another thing, I took some classes and feel that if that car crash doesn't happen to kill me but instead severely injures a loved one with me I just might now be able to save their life. Something I could not have done before.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts