Stop Smoking Anyone ?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Al-Thi'b, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

I'm 26, will soon be 27 and I've been smoking since roughly 18 years of age. I am really, REALLY wanting to quit by or before 30 especially with my health in the shape it is. My question or questions I should say IS:
    Anyone here successfully quite smoking and if so what product did you use?
    OTC(over the counter) or prescription?
    Side-effects and how long did they last if any?
    Most importantly how long did it take you and how long had you been smoking prior?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information guys.:)

2. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I quit smoking cold turkey and was smoke free for 22 years. Then came the divorce, and like an idiot I started smoking again. Have since remarried, to a smoker. I am seriously thinking about quitting again... cold turkey, just like the last time. :eek:

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

the only people I know personally to have successfully 'kicked the habit' were ones that did it 'cold turkey', but also had family & friends that supported their decision.

4. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

I smoked from about 12 till I was in my 30s. I did stop for a few years but started smoking cigars and then back to cigarettes.
    I finally quit for good about 15 years ago.
    Best thing I ever did.
    I used the patches for about 2 weeks and then just made up my mind that I was going to stop.
    Trashed the rest of the 30 day prescription and quit cold turkey.
    If you really want to stop then you can.
    If you don't really want to then you won't. I think it's a simple as that.
    I wish you luck.
    When you do kick the habit you will never regret the effort it takes.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I quit alcohal and other drugs one day at a time over 25 years ago. 12 step programs exhist for smoking addiction also.

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Good luck with this effort. It's a fantastic achievement to beat an addiction and it's so dang positive!

7. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share how I quit smoking after 18 years. I got pregnant. I found out 3 months along but that made me put down the smokes for good. What has helped not start again was the fact my daughter had a 2 vessel umbilical cord. Majority of fetuses have a 3 vessel cord. This can cause issues during the pregnancy and the child can be put at risk. They were not able to pin point what caused the 'death' of one of the vessels so I'd rather not put any more pregnancies at risk.

And yes, I started smoking at 12-13 years old. Sad I know.

8. Prepper69

Prepper69 Well-Known Member

Working on 12 years of not drinking or drugs....March 2nd will be 5 months of not smoking...I have been using the e cig with ALOT of success....the hardest thing I have ever tried to quit :( But it is working .... Thank God!!!

9. oldvet

oldvet Well-Known Member

It's been almost 6 months since I quit "cold turkey", it ain't the easiest thing I ever did, but you can get through it if you honestly are ready to quit.

I smoked for close to 50 years and would probably still be smoking if I hadn't been told that I had the beginnings of enphysema. As stupid as I have been for smoking all of those years, I am not stupid enough to keep feeding something like enphysema to the point that I would be on oxygen until it finally killed me.

Please do yourself a huge favor and throw them away, remove all smoking material including ashtrays from your home and allow yourself to live a longer healthier life.

10. 8thDayStranger

8thDayStranger Well-Known Member

Wish I'd never picked the stupid things up. I've tried a hundred times but still I'm puffing away. I need to get serious about quitting cause these things are going to kill me.

11. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Hangin' n learnin'

Let me start by telling you a little bit about me, and how I got to where I am with tobacco...

I started smoking very young (14), quit the first time after about 13 or 14 years, for 3-1/2 years with a self-help program (Cigarest). Job stress got the better of me and I started again for several years, then quit with patches only long enough to break-even on cost of patches vs tobacco (about 6 months). A few years later, I tried weening myself by smoking only after a certain time had passed since the last smoke, and increasing this time every two weeks...again stress got the better of me and I fell back into the same routine and habits.

I can tell you after attempting to quit several times and returning to the same old habits time and time again that you need to have a strong resolution and you need to exercise discipline to be successful...I didn't have either at the time. And, don't beat yourself up if you slip backwards for a time...it happens. The worst part for me was the actual habit...sure the detox isn't fun either, but it doesn't last that long...a week or so for most people...the old habits goes on nagging you for months, even years.

Anyway, that said, I have resigned to continuing the use of nicotine, only with electronic cigarettes. I have used them off and on for about a year, maybe 1-1/2 years, then went to electronic only for the past 17 months now. BTW, it feels good to be able to breathe, taste and smell things again, and that alone is enough to make the swap worth it over the long-term. Yes, I'm still chemically dependent, but in a manner which won't kill me nearly as quickly (or someone else around me). Nicotine itself, has only one side effect which is cause for concern for me, and that is it slows the human body's ability to heal itself, so considering all the garbage I used to breathe in when smoking, I can deal with that for now. One day I'll probably get tired of still being tied-down to the whole situation and decide enough is enough. For now, it's my only real crutch, and the side effects are minimal.

I did stop my beer habit, which was out of hand for the better part of my life...that was easy, at least for me...just made up my mind to end the stupidity, for good. If only I could get that mind-set applied to cigarettes...(sigh).

So, I wouldn't try to lean on another chemical (such as RX drugs with vicious side-effects) to rid myself of one of the addictive substance known to man (nicotine). Make up your mind to abstain from it as I did with alcohol. I'm going on 4 years sober and don't miss it...I never even went to any support group meetings such as AA, or even looked for any outside help in doing it. Of course, the family was all for it, but once I made up my mind to stop, that was the end of it for me...all my old alcohol-related habits were quickly dissolved. It's all about what you want to do with your life, the quality of life, the health benefits of quitting or whatever your reasons are, and how badly you want it.

Why haven't I completely quit nicotine? I just don't want it bad enough, I guess. Also, nicotine is a stimulant, and for some, quitting can be very difficult, and may even cause depression or anxiety, and can make these pre-existing conditions worse...watch for the signs if you decide to quit.

To anyone who says quitting smoking is easy, I would have to question their sincerity...if it's easy to quit, how is it so easy to get addicted? I have a sister who just retired last year, said she quit smoking in college, or fresh out of school, anyway, she still has urges to smoke sometimes, nearly 35 years after quitting.

Quitting when you're still young is best all around. You haven't developed age-old habits yet, your thought processes are more easily altered and you can train yourself to make healthier choices much more easily than for someone who has been doing something for thirty or so years. Also,when you are younger, you stand to reap the most benefits from your decision to stop smoking simply because your body has been exposed to the nasties for that much less time..any amount is bad, but the longer you smoke the more damage you do. Stopping early in life gives you the best results and a much higher chance for success. There's no such thing as a right way or a wrong way to quit...some methods don't work for some people, while other methods will.

Best of luck to anyone thinking about quitting. Plan your method for quitting and stick to your guns, how ever you decide to go about cessation of smoking.

12. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I started smoking at 18 and quit when I was 32. I basically spent a week "cutting back" then just said screw it and threw my Marlboro's away. So you can count me as a cold turkey quitter. There is a physical component to the smoking addiction, no doubt, but it's the mental side that you have to overcome. For me it was a matter of priorities and control. I needed to quit for me, for my kids, for my wife and so I did not end up in an early grave. But I also needed to quit because I did not like the idea of something having that much control over me. Something that made decisions for me and made me feel like I was at it's mercy. So when I said enough, I took something back that I had apparently given away to nicotine. I have not touched a cigarette since and never will again.

13. Boomy

Boomy Archive of Useless Knowledge

After quiting 15 billion times cold turkey (patch and gum), I finally had success.
    Smoked ultralites for 8-9 months until I could feel a slight buzz off of an ultra?
    Rule was nothing but ultralites
    Then I jumped the bridge cold turkey with a pack laying in my center console (so that I could have the choice of whether or not to). Then I started counting the hours since I quit. "if I have one now I would have suffered for three hours just to start over...... if I have one now I would have suffered for 36 hours for nothing ...... if I have one now I would have suffered for 13 days and three hours for nothing..... " For two weeks I could tell you what hour I was on. During down time I used Netflix to distract me and keep me inside and away from the pack. The whole time I knew that I had a choice and that was the difference for me. Pain, option, threat of regret......

April will be three years since my last cig. from a pack a day habit of Winston lights (couldn't taste Marlboros unless I cut off the filter). I smoked for about ten years...

14. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I wish you all the very best of luck doing this. I never picked up the cig habit.

My dad did though, in Vietnam. He had a heart attack about 12 years ago and didn't pick up another one. A few days in the hospital without he figured he could do without altogether. He still has that pack in the drawer that he was working on right before the heart attack.

15. seanallen

seanallen Well-Known Member

Im 43 now. I started when i was 11. Been puffing pretty regular since. Tried dozens of times to quit, with various reasons for failure. They all boiled down to one thing: i am too weakwilled. At my heaviest consumption rate it was 2 packs a day in high stress times. Lately its been 1/2 pack a day in low stress times. Just about ready to start a couple months of ultra lites then drop the nasty bastards for good.

16. AuroraHawk

AuroraHawk Okie from Michigan via Alaska!

I started smoking when I was at Basic Training. I was lucky enough (Not!) to be considered mature enough to be a squad leader. The "Hurry up and wait." routine was nerve wracking and I started carrying cigarettes for squad members after the first time the drill sergeant shouted, "Platoon! Rest! Smoke 'em if you got 'em, see your squad leader if you don't!"

I was 22, had been married for 3 years and divorced for a year before I went to Basic Training. I was 4 years older than most of the other privates and should have known better. :shrug:

In 1998 I saw the hand-writing on the wall and knew that it was just a matter of time before smoking killed me or my employer enacted a non-smoking campus policy. I used the nicotine patches and quit for 4 years. At the end of that time I was totally stressed out by family deaths, and impending deaths, and I started smoking again. During the past 18 months I have quit twice and now I need to quit again. I have a prescription for Chantix and will start using that March 1. It isn't a cold turkey quit but it is something that helps me get through these stressful times and ease the constant, niggling urge to light another cigarette. (Speaking from experience...used it to quit the other 2 times.)

If you don't smoke, please don't start. If you are a smoker, please quit. Don't want until you've been smoking for 30 years to try to kill a life long habit.

Good luck and best wishes to anyone else who is trying to quit.

Dawn

17. invision

invision Supporting Member - Crazy Huh?

I started smoking my freshman year of college in 1990... I quit cold turkey the day I had my first Heart attack 6 years ago... The 1 year to the date, my cardiologist gave me a glowing review after a nuclear stress test. I asked if I could smoke cigars - my wife smokes and I missed sitting on the deck with her after dinner. He said yes, after two weeks of cigars at $15 a pop 2-3 a day, I said to hell with it and started up again... Had second heart issue, quit again cold turkey, had a high stress week 6 months later, started up again... Had bypass last February, didn't even attempt to quit past 3 months because of the initial stress of the freaking bypass.

Do I want to quit, not really - I don't drink, I don't do drugs... And I truly enjoy it.

18. cengasser

cengasser Member

Well at least I'm not alone.
    Smoking since about 12. The Hubs & I both tried to quit last year. I smoke a pack of Marlboro a day. When we started prepping I figured how much more could we "prep" if we quit. So we signed up for the patch program and we both did good. But the mornings were so difficult, cig & coffee. So doc said sleep with the patch and don't wear it at work. I/we were smoke free 2 weeks, then work stress got the better if ME. And I faltered & he came crashing with me. SMH
    Still have some of the patches, was thinking of trying again. The thing is, before last year, I wouldn't even have given it a thought, so it's progress. And if at first you don't succeed.....

19. cengasser

cengasser Member

Do I want to quit, not really - I don't drink, I don't do drugs... And I truly enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

This was me until last year, thought never crossed my mind and that's what I told doc. I like it and don't want to quit. But I've been thinking well maybe....

20. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

Well I will try to keep this short. I was a 50 year chain smoker. Tried to quit a couple of times and the withdrawal was so bad I gave in after only a few hours. Not only that I really liked smoking. So I prayed about it (if you don't believe, that's ok, the story is still a good one) and I believed the Lord told me one day I would put them down and never pick them up again. Many years later that day came. Sept 16, 2012 I was having a very difficult time breathing that just kept getting worse. I woke my husband and he was going to take me to ER. I got so bad so fast he called 911. In the meantime a whispered a promise to the Lord that if He helped me I would never smoke again.I needed a stint put in a blocked artery. It didn't work and I was in congestive heart failure. I also ended up allergic to the dye they use and allergic to shell fish. So now I was in a severe copd episode, heart failure and my kidneys were not function well. I was at death's door.. Family meeting on whether I should have the triple bypass. Better know as a CABG(cabbage). I was almost certain I would have to have the ventilator in for life if I made it. The Lord told me to have the surgery I would be better and just before I went in He whispered "miracle" to me.
    They put the patch on me but it interfered with the steroid for my lungs. I was too bad off after the surgery(and the docs said I was doing good) to want to smoke. They took the ventilator out after only 24 hours (unheard of) I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks and had to go back in a month later for water in my lungs. I'm on oxygen 24/7 and a cpac minimum of 4 hours while I sleep. (That forces me to breath as I was stopping breathing 141 times an hour at the sleep clinic). My doctors are pleased with my progress albeit slow. I eat healthy, don't do drugs or drink. They said I had heredity heart disease, copd, high blood pressure borderline kidney problems, sleep apnea painful skin from where they streched it so hard to get at my heart. All the above cause I liked to smoke. Now I deal with the habit part. In the hospital they tape these leads to your finger as part of the monitering devices you're hooked up to. And through the tape you can see a red light. I woke up one night trying to smoke my finger. I can laugh about it now. There are a lot of unpleasant details, like when they had to drain my lungs, but it's not necessary. I'm here to praise God for His intervention. I've questioned Him on why it's taking so long to heal. He reminded me of something last week my cousin had told me 45 years ago=="God's will, God's way".

So, I hope this testimony helps encourage you to push forward in your endeavor to quit and those of you who have gone back or are thinking of it not to.