Stink bugs--yet another reason to grow your own

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Frugal_Farmers, May 23, 2011.

1. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

This is a link to many of the recent news feature out there about the damage stink bugs are having on crops along the eastern seaboard.

USDA Combats Stink Bugs | wusa9.com

If you look at all of the events imacting our food supply, it is only wise to grow what you can and preserve it yourself.

Flooding--recent Mississippi as well as other floods around the world.

Drought--Texas for one is feeling the heat, but look at the wheat crop in Russia last year.

Tsumani/radiation--Japan's valuable crops has been devestated.

Freezing--Florida crops took a major hit from freezes.

Honey Bees--yes folks they are being impacted by Colony Colapse Disorder. No bees, no food.

Now we have the stink bug that could destroy many more crops in the years to come.

The mainstream media has not published any detailed reports on the loss of crops here in North America and around the world, but food shortages will become big news in the months/years to come.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I shudder to contemplate how long it will take to recover

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

"Stink bugs--yet another reason to grow your own"

The only problem with that is we are overrun with the things. I'm hoping that letting the chickens run in the garden combined with Neem Oil on all the plants gives me a fighting chance at keeping them from destroying everything. They're really bad around here.

4. Frugal_Farmers

Our chickens are having a feast on the local cicada bugs. They are a free source of entertainment because wen one of them snag this juicy bug the rest chase her around to share the feast.

5. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We gathered buckets of cicadas and fed to the chickens they loved it.

6. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

UncleJoe, DE worked really well for garden bugs last year, but we haven't had the pleasure :eek: of fighting stink bugs yet. I wonder if DE will kill them?

7. UncleJoe

I tried DE on the potato bugs last year and had mediocre results. I may try it for the stink bugs and see what happens.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUuHhWYvDA]YouTube - ‪BEST Stink Bug Trap EVER‬‏[/ame]

DW just heard about these traps and is making a couple of them. She does not have them in service yet but we picked up the lights last weekend and she's currently building them in her spare time. The comments under the video have some good ideas in them too. I'll report back after the lights have been used for a while and let "yinz" all know how they work.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks Jason ...

I think I will give that a try!

10. Frugal_Farmers

Jason, be sure to let us know how your test goes.

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Traps aren't working all that well. We think they'll do a lot better in the Winter when the bugs are concentrated indoors. Since the weather is nice now you see less of them in the house. We're going to keep the traps we made and see what Winter brings next year.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Well they got my last squash plant yesterday then started my cukes. The only way I have found to take care of them ... well, the old time "pick them off by hand". Then put them in a jug with soap and water.

After a rain (or watering) they come to the top of the plant making them rather easy to get ...

13. power

power ExCommunicated

My stink bugs are different colored. They are the same color as lady bugs. I thought they were lady bugs at first as I didn't look very close. The only garden that has them is one that the chickens and ducks can't get to. They keep them, and everything else out of the rest of the gardens.
    Did find a few large caterpillars eating my dill plants.

14. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

They got all over the squash and cukes.At least a 100 of them,the babies are white,adult dark brown or blackish.

I sprayed em with lemon juice and hair spray a couple weeks ago,so far have'nt seen a one since.We also put them along with the pulled up plants inside black garbage bag and closed,left it in sun to smother them.Sprayed the ground where they were.

15. iPrep

iPrep iPrep

I found a few on my plants, I just squished em! Not enough to fret about. I'm more worried about the deer!

16. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Alright now the dang things are trying to move into my house. :eek::gaah::club::club:

The homemade trap was so so ... so today I bought a trap with the light for the house.

It is now WAR!!! These things have to GO!!!!!!!!!! :gaah:

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Virginia Tech Researchers Find The Best Way to Catch Stink Bugs...

BLACKSBURG, VA - Virginia Tech researchers in the entomology department have studied several different options for catching stinkbugs in your home and came up with one very simple option that will cost you about seven dollars.

After two years of studying three different traps the most effective one involved a turkey roasting pan, half gallon of water, and some dish liquid. (A larger version of the flea trap, which does work on fleas.)

Tom Kuhar and the Virginia Tech Entomology Department are finding answers to questions about stink bugs.

Right now, researchers are planning to go back to China where the bug originated to collect its natural enemies. The idea is to bring those enemies to the United States to fight the problem. .

http://www.wsls.com/story/25140599/virginia-tech-researchers-find-the-best-way-to-catch-stink-bugs

I hope they do some research on the natural enemies before they bring them back ... It would be great if it worked but ... :eyebulge:

18. UncleJoe

The local folks that know about these things say that the extended bout of sub-zero temps we had should have done a lot to reduce the population this year. :crossfinger:

19. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

The reason they say the population has been reduced is because they are all at my house. We suck up about 10 a night and toss em in the fire. We heard they are bringin a new kind over that will eat these ones. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

Sent from my iPad using Survival Forum

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm here to tell you the sub-zero temps ... didn't put a dint in them ... (not in my area, at any rate)

:gaah: