Stereotyping and profiling...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 26, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

We aren't supposed to do it, but it's a survival skill. It doesn't necessarily have to do with race, and it's often used incorrectly, but how many times have we not been surprised by the actions of someone we've already categorized?

Sometimes it's silly. This morning I saw a scraggly European-American wearing an Andes type hat, when it wasn't that cold and I thought to myself, steer clear of that person, he's going to be an idiot and I was proven right as he demonstrated his driving. "Looks like an idiot, acts like an idiot."

Other times it's based on race and appearance. Sometimes it's demographic.

But what I believe is:

"Politically Correct is statistically incorrect."

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

when driving I stay clear of minivans... the drivers are all MORONS! :eek:

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, swims, like a duck and flies like a duck ...it must be a chicken?!!! Call things as they are. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

4. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I categorize people who wear their hats back wards as people who don't know if they're coming or going which includes probably 70% of the population.

5. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Brudder, I can take offense at that, driving a minivan as I do. Biggest trouble I have is with pick'em up trucks and SUVs, then small cars. Bubbas in the first, Soccermoms in the second and the braindead college kids in the latter. ALL have tried to kill me at various times. Especially when I ride the bike. :rolleyes:

ANY driver can be a problem.

I learned, when working security, that 'profiling' can be a very valuable tool for identifying potential problems. It can be abused, like any technique. Still, if being approached by a young 'urban youth', a young woman and an older white guy, that 'youth' gets the most attention - simple statistics mark him as the more likely problem. But I don't ignore the other two...... The jails are full of ALL kinds of people.....

6. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Good for you. :congrat:
    Think just a bit - maybe there are times when the hat needs to be turned around.

7. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I caught something on one of the Little League games. One of the kids looked squared away, had his hat on right, the other had his hat askew. The interviewer asked the squared away kid why he didn't wear his hat like the others. He said: "Because my father doesn't raise morons or dorks."

I was proud of that kid and I'm not even related!:congrat:

8. unclebob

unclebob Well-Known Member

I guess I profile or prejudge if you will.
    It has served me well.

The filter or trigger is simple.

TRUST NO ONE
    Be polite and have a plan to quickly and quetly :kiss: them first.:nuts:

9. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

+100 unclebob!

Could not have said it better if I tried!

10. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I definitely do not trust anyone. My ex-roommate screwed me out of thousands of dollars, lied, and stole my personal belongings from me all while inviting four or five people (hippies :mad:) to live in my house without my permission. I moved out two months ago from that hellhole and now life is great and I learned my lesson! She taught me not to trust ANYONE. Ladies and gentleman, even the pretty innocent LOOKING girl is not what she appears to be. She will have YOUR cake and eat it too with a big sh**eating grin!

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I don't like profiling, but there are times it is a good thing. Watch the way they conduct themselves, listen to their response as they talk to others. You can get a pretty good idea right away. If anything makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up, walk away quickly. I use to take people at face value, believing everyone has some good in them, but not anymore. Sad very sad.

12. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

If you watch COPS and you've seen "Deliverance" and you remember 9/11 then you know what to avoid.

13. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I am guessing you're a young male.

Remember, if she's easy to bed for you, she's been easy for others and when folks live together in a sexual relationship without commitment, usually one, the other or both parties are going to wind up getting screwed over. Old fashioned morality existed for a reason.

That comes down to stereotyping again, which exist for a reason.

14. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Actually I'm a female. She was my best friend of ten years...who turned out to be a whole different person than she led me to believe.:mad:

15. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Oh, then that's so much more horrible! For a dude, not fully thinking, then he can expect something bad to happen, and his judgement is expected to be crowded and he can shrug it off, but for a friend known for years! That's so terrible, so unexpected. I'm sorry.

16. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Thank you for the sentiment. It definitely was a big steel toe to the gut. Learned my lesson most definitely: Most people suck and trust no one. lol. I'm learning to put trust in people again to a point but it's not the same anymore...not like before.

17. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Yeah, that sounds like a situation you can't be prepped for, that hits you out of the blue so hard you can't do anything.

Predators possess different levels of cunning and different looks.

18. mosquitomountainman

So much for profiling! :rolleyes:

19. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

Sterotyping and profiling may not be PC but are completely natural. This is how we choose our friends, our mates, where we live and almost all social interactions. The denial of this especially when it comes to security is the height of stupidity.

20. mosquitomountainman

I remember a cop making a remark that "after midnight it's either 'us' or 'them,'" meaning that no one except cops or bad guys had any legitimate reason to be out on the streets after midnight. My shift ended at 2:00 AM. Did that make me a "bad guy" just 'cause I was driving on the streets after midnight?

It's not about PC. I believe we all do some "profiling" or "stereotyping" whenever we see a person, property, or vehicle. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong. The problem is that we are making assumptions, often based on our on experiences, or, worse yet, on media misrepresentations. Think about why we now call ourselves "preppers" instead of "survivalists?" Isn't that because of assumptions others make based on media depictions about those who prepare? How about people who own an "assault rifle?" And let's not forget about Muslims! After all, every Muslim is a terrorist or terrorist wanna' be, right?

To ignore obvious warning signals is fool hardy. But making snap judgements based on assumptions is also foolish.