Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
succintly put, the electricity generated would not equal that needed to run the pump to displace the amount of water needed to turn the turbine... if it were there would never be an energy crisis because even a one billionth percent excess generated power would eventually become infinite power... this doesn't happen (in our section of the universe anyway).

I am NOT trying to be rude with this explanation, really...

questions are how we learn

that being said... how old are you? (ok, that was NOT meant to be creepy)

:dunno: :gaah: :dunno: :gaah: :dunno: :gaah: :dunno:

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
not to rain on your parade, but you drain AMPERAGE from a battery, not voltage, that is why battery chargers have amperage settings... & free-spinning motors with NO LOAD after reaching "contract speed" don't use a whole Hell of a lot of juice, < 100 mA (0.1 amps) average... of course the load in that setup was the alt rating+motor rating+hysteresis losses+friction losses+freewheeling resistance/power consumption which was probably not much more than the alt output rating, but then again you weren't doing any other useful work so...

the avg car battery has anywhere from 60-100 amphours of juice, so:

60/.2(0.1+0.1 for essentially 2 motors)=300 ... 300/24(hrs)=12.5(days) so your week of continuous run is more than believable... but like I said no other USEFUL work was accomplished, you just drained the battery slower

The Lead Acid battery is made up of plates, lead, and lead oxide (various other elements are used to change density, hardness, porosity, etc.) with a 1/3 sulfuric acid and 2/3 water solution. This solution is called electrolyte, which causes a chemical reaction that produce electrons. When you test a battery with a hydrometer, you are measuring the amount of sulfuric acid in the electrolyte. If your reading is low, that means the chemistry that makes electrons is lacking. So where did the sulfur go? It is resting on the battery plates and when you recharge the battery, the sulfur returns to the electrolyte.

sorry... I'm tired & my head hurts... that came out a LOT more snarky than I meant. :ignore:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.