Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The VAULT:

The VAULT is constructed of 5'X8" high pressure P.V.C pipe, one end is capped,the other is a clean out plug.once the glue dries, paint everything but the threaded portion in spray on truck bed liner and let dry 48 hours, now it's SUPER SEALED!

What to put in it?

A bag of desiccant and a cloth sack of rice.
A Moisan Nagant and 200 hundred rounds.
3 t shirts, two pair of pants, underwear, a heavy jacket a medical kit, socks, and a child size backpack.

other possibles are:
two quart military water bladders,a knife and a machete, water pure tabs, and fill the rest of the space with dehydrated foods from the back packing store.you can build several of these things for under 1000$ and stash them around the perimeter of your retreat "just in case".

remember to grease the threads with heavy duty grease,if you use Teflon tape or glue it on,that plug is NOT COMING OUT EVER!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Great idea...I read the neatest thing today.
Another site had a poster telling of a double fence around the property.
On the outside, you see the outside fence and once inside, you see the inside fence.
There is about 3 feet inside the fences.
Every 3 or 4 feet, a hole is dug, and a bucket of food is buried..

Is that not cool???:sssh:

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea!

I'm thinking on putting a stash of dehydrated food and a 22 rifle out back somewhere myself.

·
New here
137 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all, just be sure to grease and seal the rifle in a water tight plastic bag (to keep the grease from leaking into the rest of the interior) and a couple of bricks of ammo (vacuum sealed is best). You'll want to bury them below the frost line so the inside won't condensate.

·
803 Posts
I have 3. One's been in the ground for 7 + yrs. I chose not to put weapons in mine. That might change...

They do have rice, oatmeal, freeze dried coffee, salt, pepper and honey. Along with a change of clothes and a few long term 1st aid items. 500 rds of 22 and 25 rds of 12 ga.

Mine are sealed at both ends with glued caps. I attached a small 18in long peice of 1/2 in pvc with 3 hacksaw blades to the main tubes. Can get them open easily. Saw off ends of main tubes. Dug hole with post-hole diggers and buried vertically.

Used a clean-out on a tube all sealed up with everything you could think of and water still got in, so went to fully sealed. Checked one after 1 year and dry as a bone.

Oh if you can aquire a small bottle of nitrogen, that is what I used to purge tubes before sealing, to displace O2. Used sacks of disitent for moisture.

I would love to come up with a 12 ga shotgun and 22 rifle to try to cache, just haven't had spare $$ to try it yet...

Jimmy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had the same problem with the seal so we went with sealed ends. Test one that was put in almost 3 years and it was good to go. We have several, several in at different locations. We placed two large rocks in the area to use to break open and to help mark the spot for night time removal. We used Glenfields 22. Work good, low profile, attached tube mag, cheap about 160.00 at Walmart. Ammo is cheap and easy to pack. Dont forget to stash some rolled up plastic near by for shelter material and water catcher. It will never rot, multi uses and cheap. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Has anyone tried burying a sealed water barrel??
Or any barrel for that matter??

Put a bucket or two of food and supplies in the barrel??

·
803 Posts

You know, that might be an idea, Jay Jay...:melikey:

It would require a very large hole and might be heavy, but I think do-able. Not sure how those plastic barrels hold up? Anyone know? I wouldn't trust a metal barrel. Wonder if the lid screws off? Might be a leak issue...too many questions....:scratch:scratch Gonna start checking when I get home.

Thanks Jay Jay!!!:congrat:

Jimmy

·
803 Posts

BTW just past ya on the way home down I-65. Spent the nite in Franklin, TN. Weather was a bugger coming thru IN yesterday...sorry OP :cool:

Jimmy

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
You know, that might be an idea, Jay Jay...:melikey:

It would require a very large hole and might be heavy, but I think do-able. Not sure how those plastic barrels hold up? Anyone know? I wouldn't trust a metal barrel. Wonder if the lid screws off? Might be a leak issue...too many questions....:scratch:scratch Gonna start checking when I get home.

Thanks Jay Jay!!!:congrat:

Jimmy
Thanks--wasn't doing any burying here anyhow---dh has access to a log yard, but they have a mobile home there just moved in ----so that area isn't worthy of hiding any longer---I'll keep looking---see, dh is a logger, the possibilities are endless..but what if an EMP takes out all vehicles?? How to get to the stash becomes another problem...

And Jimmy, ya know I lived in Springfield, 20 minutes from Nashville for 57 years...and now we're in Ky, 30 minutes from Franklin, ky...:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts