Starting fires...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by FreeNihilist, Feb 6, 2011.

1. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

Whats your favorite fire starting method that you use to start fires?

Personally I carry a wooden fire piston around my neck and carry a small leather pouch of supplies (extra thread, a few o-rings, tinder, etc) on me all the time.I've always found it to be 100% reliable. When it comes to fire pistons, they'll always have a special place in my heart.

2. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

The very very end of the following funny video from Europe shows you MUST know how to make fires cave-man style WTSHTF :D:D:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXUHQG2ewk&feature=related]YouTube - Was wäre die Welt ohne das Handwerk?[/ame]

(It's a gag advertisement for building trades apprenticeships and training... the list of trades -in German- is at the end.)

Me? I'll stick to butane lighters... got a couple hundred in my bunker, and one in my pocket all the time ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

3. kolob

kolob Member

Where can I purchase a fire piston?

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Is a fire piston the same as the blast matches?
    And butane lighters if not the really good ones will leak out their butane and be empty over the years.
    But you could still use them to catch a spark I guess.;):D

5. FreeNihilist

Fire Pistons

Les Stroud "Survivorman" got his from there and I got mine from there as well. I'm very happy with the high quality of the product. I would recommend an o-ring version for beginners as it is much easier to use than the threaded kind. Wooden ones are also best as far as materials go. Many tribes still use these tools today.

6. FreeNihilist

This is a fire piston. It works by igniting tinder via internal combustion anda wide range of tinder materials can be used. Its very adaptable. Blast matches are easy to use but eventually fail while a fire piston will work for a lifetime with the occasional greasing of fat on the rod and the seal maintained which is very easy to do. Someone who is skilled with such tasks, could make fire pistons quite easily.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTi3B1oeXgw]YouTube - Wilderness Solutions Fire Piston from U.S. Cavalry[/ame]

Fire pistons are made for the long haul and dont have modern parts that can fail like blast matches. Short term, lighters and blast matches work fine. But long term, fire pistons are very desirable.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I carry a magnesium firestarter because it's a method I know well enough to start a fire almost as quickly as matches or a lighter.

I had a chance to try a fire piston last summer, and it's a pretty cool method.

Here's one I hadn't thought of before, in this context, anyway!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Aw8nH9IrM]YouTube - Fire![/ame]

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Basey- if TSHTF that fast we'd all be hosed...

I don't have a fire piston yet but I do plan on getting one soon. I have many bic lighters and a zippo or two, but for low tech I like a magnesium firestarter as well.

9. FreeNihilist

I carry a magnesium bar on my keychain. I like how hot the magnesium burns compared to other fire starting methods. It's definitely an advantage.

In the far north (where I hail from), fire is definitely the most important thing to survival.

Heres a good video on various modern fire tools:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXX8Sdj-UTM]YouTube - Making Fire : Different Methods[/ame]

On the note of the flashlight, any flashlight can be used to start a fire by sacrificing it if you have careful hands. If you break the bulb gently without breaking the filament and put tinder inside the cone area and turn it on you will have a nice fire pretty instantly. This is a neat tip if you have a flashlight and no other way of making fire.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Just tested my magnesium firestarter---YEEE-HaHHH!:congrat:

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Girl, you're havin' too much fun!

Can I come over and play!

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

You betcha!!!

But, fair warning--I don't do superbowls!!

13. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've watched so many survival shows and all of the survivor man that I lost track of what is what.. While it is a big hassle I can still rub two sticks together(bow/platform) and get a coal and start a fire--but man o man! You are not gonna get that fire going quick.. lol But I can do it!!

14. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Do teenagers count??? :D My older three boys went away to winter camp for the weekend....slept outside in tents in Ohio! So I had to actually keep up on the fire in the wood burner myself! GASP!! LOL! That was the first time I have had to do it in the last couple winters!

15. humanoddity

humanoddity New Member

I always carry a magnesium fire starter, cotton balls, and a small tube of petroleum jelly. It's easy to use, small to pack and light to carry. :)

16. ReadyMom

ReadyMom Well-Known Member