Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The squash, green beans, beets, collards, onions, garlic and lettuce are out of the ground. Will start this week preparing the ground for our fall garden. Planting fall tomatoes with clippings from our now tomato plants, turnips, curly leaf mustard, winter squash, purple hull peas, collards and winter onions.

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
I'm jealous. I can't start my fall garden until September and that is only if it starts raining again.

Do you grow carrots? They overwinter beautifully!

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
The squash, green beans, beets, collards, onions, garlic and lettuce are out of the ground. Will start this week preparing the ground for our fall garden. Planting fall tomatoes with clippings from our now tomato plants, turnips, curly leaf mustard, winter squash, purple hull peas, collards and winter onions.
Clarice, what does that mean, you have clippings from your now tomato plants? They must be heirloom right? I didn't even know that people took clippings from their plants.........:confused:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Clarice, what does that mean, you have clippings from your now tomato plants? They must be heirloom right? I didn't even know that people took clippings from their plants.........:confused:
Break off the "suckers" from your tomato plants. Most plants have plenty of them. Be careful to not tear a strip up the shoot. Break it reasonably clean. Drop them in a vase of water and they will start shooting out roots in a few days. Then put them in the ground.
Another way is to let one of the stalks of the main plant lay on the ground. It will begin to send out new roots were it touches the ground. Once it has roots, snip it off the main stem, gently dig it up and move it to it's new location.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Break off the "suckers" from your tomato plants. Most plants have plenty of them. Be careful to not tear a strip up the shoot. Break it reasonably clean. Drop them in a vase of water and they will start shooting out roots in a few days. Then put them in the ground.
Another way is to let one of the stalks of the main plant lay on the ground. It will begin to send out new roots were it touches the ground. Once it has roots, snip it off the main stem, gently dig it up and move it to it's new location.
Ooohhhh, learn something new every day!
So how does this effect the harvest time? Seems to me that most tomatoes have a fairly long amount of time from the time you plant a transplant to the time you harvest. If you plant a clipping, is the harvest time shorter? Or is it the same, making this method good for regions with long growing seasons but not so good for mid- to short- seasons?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we will be planting carrots. Thanks Uncle Joe for the input about the tomatoes. DH has been doing our fall tomatoes this way for quite sometime now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish we could start ours, in the same boat with all other Texans now. Trying to keep what we have alive. Planning on beets, turnips, brussels sprouts, cabbage and a couple of others. Turnips winter well, and I like them.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
If you plant a clipping, is the harvest time shorter? Or is it the same, making this method good for regions with long growing seasons but not so good for mid- to short- seasons?
It's shorter than starting from seed because you're starting with an established plant that probably already has flowers on it and it's already acclimated to it's environment.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
It's shorter than starting from seed because you're starting with an established plant that probably already has flowers on it and it's already acclimated to it's environment.
Will the top shoots work?My tomatoes are already brown on the bottom but the tops still look good even a couple are still blooming.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Hard to believe it is time for the fall garden ... but it is. Green beans, carrots and more greens. I hope to get them in this evenng.

But that means 11 ta 12 weeks till our first frost. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts