Star Trek, Star Wars, Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by UncleJoe, Dec 21, 2009.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

OK. Now lets fight it out.

2. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Okay... so Star Trek (that Picard guy) and Star Wars (that hairy ape and the 'force') but I have never heard about Red Dwarf....

V.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Red Dwarf ???

I'm lost ??? :scratch

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Red Dwarf is a British sci fi comedy from (I think) the 90's with a main cast of about 4. Lister, the main character, Rimmer, the hologram of his dead bunkmate, Holly, the ship's computer, Kryten, a robot they picked up, and Cat, a person evolved from the pregnant cat Lister smuggled on board. Red Dwarf is a mining ship. Lister and Rimmer (who hate each other) are the lowest ranking personnel aboard-the vending machine repairmen. Lister smuggles a cat on board who he doesn't know is pregnant. As punishment when he is caught he is put into stasis, thereby forfeitting his pay for the 2 year (I think) mission. The ships reactor messes us and kills everyone aboard except for Lister and the cat, who is in the ship's hold. The ship goes into safety mode and flies into space for 3 million years. I gotta get to work. Will finish this post tonight. :)

5. UncleJoe

Where I grew up in northern Pa, Red Dwarf was relegated to late night PBS. I don't think it ever really caught on in the states, with good reason IMO. :nuts: :rolleyes:

BTW Jason, I think I saw it in the late 70's or early 80's. Could be wrong though.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Well, how about adding Spaceballs by Mel Brooks...[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQ3oadXpLY]YouTube - Fan-Made Mel Brooks' Spaceballs Trailer[/ame] :D:D:D

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

It might be that old, Joe. And that's where I saw it too, SciFi Saturday nights on PBS. I thought it was great. :D

Spaceballs is a classic...I see your Schwartz is is big as mine!!

9. UncleJoe

Jason, You are right. First season was 88. But that was during my "touring" days so I"m not surprised that I had the time frame wrong. :rolleyes:

10. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well I'm going to nerd out. Love anything Star Trek. Star Wars... love it. My favorite is Stargate Sg1 though. Red Dwarf was funny when I was a kid but I haven't revisited it in a while. Spaceballs (and all Mel Brooks Movies) is one of the funniest movies ever.

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Aha, a Stargate Sg1 fan!

I just love that show, I have seen sg1 and atlantis back-to-back and am now currently watching universe, although it is a great disappointment I still hope it will get better

V.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Star Wars :2thumb: Star Trek, well never could get into it.:eek: Stargate, I saw one or two of them before we done away with the dish ... (not bad) ... As for Red Dwarf or Spaceballs - never heard of them. (blush) :D

13. UncleJoe

We love SG1 and Atlantis. I'm sure we've seen them all more than once. We have the first 3 seasons on DVD.
    V, you are so right. Universe is a serious disappointment. :( We're having a hard time even turning it on. I hope something changes when they start the new shows in Jan.

14. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

OK i have to admit Capt. Janeway is babeway for sure. I,am whooped already, nothing original any more seems like every one want's to get(lost in space) Dang am i that old. Crap! :D

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Did anyone other than me ever watch Lost In Space way back when almost everyone had a black and white tv?

16. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

Star Trek. The discussion on this topic is over :D

I had never heard of red dwarf but I think I watched part of it when I was a kid and have been wanting to see it again! TY for the tip!

Also, what is that movie where the guy knocks up the girl while they are statione on the moon? Some bit about children born on the moon won't be able to ever liv on earth because of the increased gravity? Any one know what I'm yammering about?

sorry for the typos NAK.

17. UncleJoe

YOU BET! I was totally in love with Penny (Angela Cartwright).

18. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

They're scheduled to make some changes but I hope they keep close to where they're at. I love Universe. Love it. Robert Carlyle is great. How do you not like Universe?

19. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Not even room for a debate . . . Star Wars.

The SW universe has the Force, lightsabers (which trump phasers), fighter craft (X-wings, A-wings, etcetera), and thousands of years of history. And Han Solo.

Star Trek has tribbles.

Star Trek is just lame. Sorry guys. I know Star Trek was ground-breaking for it's time, but it ran it's course and was just too "vanilla". It's okay, but TNG and all of the ones that followed were trying waaaaay too hard to be dramatic. The last one, Enterprise, was the only TV show that was halfway decent.

20. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

How not? Did you ever see sg1 or atlantis? If not, then I understand why you could like universe.

The problem is that while sg1 and atlantis were about adventure, discovery, heroism, exploration, a common enemy and funny and adorable characters. Universe is more like a general run-of-the-mill soap, with all the attention focused on the character development and their relationships, while absolutely nothing of significance happens. And this just p*sses me off...:mad: And for me this new direction just doesn't work, I do not like the characters, the genius doctor is a power hungry ego maniac, the leader of the expedition has no spine whatsoever, and I couldn't care less about the whining of the senator's daughter! In fact the only character I like is Eli's...

anyway, that's how I view stargate universe...