Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob said survivalists are often viewed - incorrectly - as doomsayers.

"Some people think we want the end of the world as we know it," he said. "I can tell you from my heart, I hope nothing like that ever happens. I want my sons to grow up and have a great life."

Still, Bob believes that everybody should at least have a 72-hour bag of gear, also known as a "bug-out bag," ready to go.

"Survival today is more about being prepared for short-term situations, like hurricanes, floods and blizzards," Bob said. ".. Learn some basic skills like gardening, first aid and personal defense. Become self-reliant like our grandparents were."

The entire interview is at Think Prepared

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Who is Bob?

What is "Star Telegram"? Is it a local newspaper or something else. More detail would be great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really new to these forums, so I don't know what the general mindset is here (if there is one), but, to me, being "prepared" means so many things, and I wasn't actually thinking anything about "doomsayers" when I found a link to this site and decided to join.

To me, being prepared can mean things like:

*being prepared in the backcountry
*being prepared when money might be tight
*being prepared for rough weather
*being prepared if the power goes out for long periods of time (if you're even on the grid)
*being prepared to have home-grown food through the winter
*being prepared for retirement
*being prepared in case your car breaks down on a dirt road miles from "anywhere" (or a phone or cell coverage maybe)
*being prepared to take care of yourself and provide for at least your basic necessities no matter what

Etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who is Bob?

What is "Star Telegram"? Is it a local newspaper or something else. More detail would be great!
The Star telegram is the Largest newspaper in the Dallas Fort Worth Area. If you follow the link you can read the full article and all of your questions will be answered.nIt was to big to post here.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
The Star telegram is the Largest newspaper in the Dallas Fort Worth Area. If you follow the link you can read the full article and all of your questions will be answered.nIt was to big to post here.
I am sorry. I took a look at the link in the first post (again) and I don't see anything about Star Telegram or Bob. Am I missing something? Can you either make the information on that first link clearer, or, better yet, copy the information to PS?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm really new to these forums, so I don't know what the general mindset is here (if there is one), but, to me, being "prepared" means so many things, and I wasn't actually thinking anything about "doomsayers" when I found a link to this site and decided to join.

To me, being prepared can mean things like:

*being prepared in the backcountry
*being prepared when money might be tight
*being prepared for rough weather
*being prepared if the power goes out for long periods of time (if you're even on the grid)
*being prepared to have home-grown food through the winter
*being prepared for retirement
*being prepared in case your car breaks down on a dirt road miles from "anywhere" (or a phone or cell coverage maybe)
*being prepared to take care of yourself and provide for at least your basic necessities no matter what

Etc.
You are on the right track. What you mentioned is a subset of the prepper/homesteader/survivalist way of life. Just like the rest of society we come in all kinds of shapes, colors, and beliefs. Some of us go beyond short to mid term crisis.

Hope and pray for the best prepare for the worst

1 - 7 of 7 Posts