Square foot gardening II Herbs

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by mdprepper, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I would like to grow some herbs for cooking and medicinal purposes. I am very new to medicinal herbs. What would you grow in a very limited space of 8'X3' that gets the afternoon sun?

I would like to grow the plants that I can with the most uses. I will grow peppermint in a container since I know it will spread everywhere. I am planning chives, thyme, rosemary, parsley, lemon balm, oregano. I would also like to try to grow Mullein.

What are your suggestions?

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Your list looks like a good start,:2thumb: The ony thing I would add is lavender ...also keep in mind mullein is a biennial and in it's second year wll be a very large plant. (Mine gets 6 ft easy)

Mullein grows wild here and it's all over the place. It may be you could look around and find it just off the road somewhere. :flower:

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We grow oregano, basil, dill, and parsley indoors in containers all year round. I don't know how large some of the other herbs will get except what *Andi mentioned. You may be able to do all your herbs in containers to leave more room outside for plants that need more space. A very small amount of basil and oregano will go a long way.

4. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Is there any other space to grow the herbs? The rosemary turns into a bush and really spreads, at least here in NC. Mullein gets large as pointed out and will have a huge ‘dead spot’ around the base as leaves die. Last year I harvested flowers from… 6 or 7 plants and got a quart jar of tincture and a pint jar of dried flowers. The dried were not crumbled or pressed down, just put in the jar after drying. Perhaps you can plant them off to the side of the yard? Finding them wild would be great as long as you know if they have been sprayed or grown in uncontaminated soil.

My main medicinal herbs are Anise Hyssop, Lemon Balm, St. John’s Wort, Valerian, Skullcap, Chamomile, Catmint, Hyssop, Blue Vervain and Mullein. Several are still waiting on the first harvest, Ginseng, Astragalis, cone flower and... something else, I forget. I would suggest starting with ones you are familiar with, perhaps cooking herbs and then add one or two others each year. You will get the feel for how much of each you use and can adjust the space devoted to them each year.

For my suggestion along with your list, are Anise Hyssop and Catmint. The Hyssop is tasty and makes a great tea, I mix just a pinch of it with Chamomile or use it straight up. It grows maybe 2’ tall and stays bunched. The Catmint grows low and could be planted in the front, under the Hyssop. I would also leave some space unplanted to start. You might find some plants that interest you in your travels to local markets and shops or from neighbors.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Something else you could consider; incorporate them into your landscaping. Plant your herbs with your foundation shrubbery as long as you know it's not a plant that's prone to spreading uncontrollably. I know a fellow that has blueberry bushes planted here and there around his house mixed in with the rest of his non-edible landscape plants.

6. mdprepper

I have decided on...

rosemary
    lavender
    chamomille
    feverfew
    lemon balm
    anise hyssop
    oregano
    chives
    parsley
    thyme
    peppermint
    catmint
    skullcap

Hopefully, I can find the seeds to everything. I will put the peppermint and rosemary in pots. I may try do do a few (oregano, parsley, chives) in small pots in the kitchen window.

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Looks good. .. :D

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I recently saw a documentary on King Tut that said Coriander is good for fevers. Any body ever heard of this?

9. mdprepper

I am actually planting the herbs to replace my landscaping. The blizzards snapped the evergreen bushes that were in this spot. I fiqured if I had to plant something there, it may as well be useful.

10. mdprepper

I bought my seeds on Saturday (see Square foot gardening post). Here is what I have:

rosemary
    chamomile
    lavender
    catmint
    chives
    parsley
    oregano
    thyme

I could not get feverfew, skullcap, lemon balm, peppermint (I may try to transplant the stuff that had spread form my original planting years ago) or the anise hyssop. I will still try to find those, but if I can not find the seeds this year I will order them dried from mountain rose and try to get the seeds again next year.

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have never found skullcap at any of our local shops, it may be you will have to order it. :dunno::dunno:

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

What about catnip, a GREAT way to attract protein in a survival situation!:D

14. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I got all my original herb seed stock from Johnny's seeds but I see they do not list Skullcap this year.

15. mdprepper

Lessons learned part 2:

I grew absolutely NOTHING in my herb garden. :cry:

I had put all of my seeds out and was waiting with such anticipation!! I would go out daily and check my barren little patch of dirt. Until one day I came home and.... there in my herb patch my daughter and son in law had suprised me by planting some lovely flowers. A dozen or more little flowering plants. They were beautiful. (Not nearly as beautiful as my herbs would have been.) What could I say or do? :flower:

Next year I will put out labels, so they will know that something is already there!!!

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

SHAME on you... ;)

17. fobhomestead

fobhomestead Well-Known Member

I have an off topic (kind of) question... Is there a book that you have that explains the different uses of these herbs? Anyone? Any book(s) in particular that has helped in your education of medicinal herbs?

18. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

The last issue # 242 of Mother Earth News has a very good article on "75 Safe and Effective Herbal remedies" page #36

19. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Check the reviews forum. I listed two books that I use all the time.

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member