Square foot garden planner

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by OldCootHillbilly, Mar 11, 2013.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Hey yall, I found this little planner what might help yall lookin ta try square foot gardinin. I use the square foot system (still learnin it) an works real well. I got raised beds an that sure do help out with bad knees!

Here it be:
    [​IMG]

2. 8thDayStranger

8thDayStranger Well-Known Member

Cool. May try some of that this year.

3. siletz

siletz Member

Thanks OCH! I use a tweeked version of square foot garden that works well for me, but it's annoying to have to run back into the house to look up a certain spacing as I'm planting. I'll print this out and keep it in my garden tote. Happy planting! :flower:

4. alwaysready

alwaysready Well-Known Member

How high are your beds? I'm planning on putting some in over the next few weeks I want them to be 2 feet high.

5. Cud579

Cud579 Well-Known Member

My raised beds are about 10 inches high. I have had good luck with them. I recently found a cool website for planning out the garden whether it ve raised bed or traditional. Www.growveg.com. I did not pay for anything so I just print off my charts.

6. OldCootHillbilly

Mine be bout 15 inchs high. With one a them wheeled garden seats it saves on the ol back an knees. You can make em as tall as yall wanna. I've seen some that was built up offin the ground fer a feller that couldn't bend over at all.

7. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

My DH is saving scrap wood to make me my raised beds this spring after the move.

8. haley4217

haley4217 Guess I've been a member long enough to not be a N

Just a suggestion for raised gardens...... What are your goals? Long term raised gardens with a lot of time to get them built, or in a hurry to get some plants going? Building a raised garden with bags of soil are quick square foot gardens that can get your plants in the ground and growing in a weekend day instead of over several weekends and usually at a reduced start up cost.

One bag high, poke holes on one side of the bag to provide drainage. Place the bag on bare ground where you want your square foot garden. Then, using a box knife or razor blade knife cut a square hole in the top of the bag leaving about an inch or two of the top plastic in place connected to the four sides. Trowel, seeds and water. Next step harvest. Generally a single bag is deep enough for squash, tomatoes, pepper, even a coupe of corn stalks.

Need more depth for something like beets, carrots or other root crops? Start with a single layer bag as above with the hole cut in top. Take bag two and cut a similar square hole in it. Quickly and carefully turn it over on top of bag one matching up the holes as best you can. You'll loose a little dirt, don't worry you use it in a minute. Now cut another square hole in the top of bag two. Gather up that spilled dirt and put it back in bag two. Trowel, seeds, water. Iced tea and lawn chair and watch your garden grow.

Very good system for "three sisters" gardening with corn, bean and squash.

Build your permanent rises beds while your topsoil bag garden is growing. This fall or winter pickup the sacks, shovel up spilled soil and all this goes into your permanent raised gardens with leaves, compost and more soil.

One other tip... Get the local donut shop to save their coffee grounds for you. Spread on the surface of your square foot garden. Very rich in nitrogen, attracts earthworms like steel to a magnet and generally unpalatable to some bugs.

9. alwaysready

alwaysready Well-Known Member

Thanks my project will take a couple of Saturdays to get started. I like that I can add over time so everything does not have to be done at once. I'm going with 2 feet to save the old back and knees.

10. Transplant

Transplant Newbie

I love my square foot garden lay out. I am actually thinking about using cinder blocks this year. The old boards I was using didn't make the move.

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I would love to see some pictures of all of your SquareFoot gardens or your raised-bed gardens. My garden is quite "traditional" .. remove the lawn, stir up the soil, add-in the seeds and water as required.

12. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

I think I understand, but not sure.:confused: Are these sqare foot areas divided by some kind of borders? Or just measured off in feet?:dunno: :wave:

13. Transplant

Transplant Newbie

A square foot garden always has a grid. I used 2x12x6 for my box then used string for the grid. I measured 12 inches and stapled the string to the top of the board measured 12 more etc.

It is not my garden it is just one I found online but it will give you an idea of what it will look like [​IMG]

14. OldCootHillbilly

Gonna have ta wait till the snow melts my friend! Got over 20 inchs a snow on top of em right now!:surrender:

15. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Thanks, thats a good looking garden you got there.:wave:

I have several raised beds, I'll do this to a couple of them.

16. Cud579

Cud579 Well-Known Member

My raised garden beds are 3 foot wide. We are planning to revamp som so 4 foot wide. The rule is that you don't want your beds over 4 foot wide cuz you need to be able to garden without stepping in/on your beds. Your soil will stay looser, the weeds are so much easier to manage and I have noticed that I don't have quite so many weeds early on. Once everything is very established thenI don't have Ny problems with weeds.

If you have any cattle farmers around, you can probably get come nice rich soil if especially if they are digging out their feed pen area that gets lots of deposits. We started doing that with raised bed #2. It was way better soil. Everything did great but our corn, but I attribute that to the hest and the drought.

Hubby was against raised beds as he was brought up with the big garden but I have made a believer outta him. Our yields are so much better.

17. Cud579

Cud579 Well-Known Member

That growveg.com site will tell you how many of each type of plant to plant in a square foot. We add screws every foot down the tops of our boards so I can visualize better where my squares are then I had twine to make my grids. Once it is all planted the twine gets wrapped back up to save for later.

18. Neec0

Neec0 It is time...

New to gardening and composting. Not sure if I should start my own thread or not.

Here is the setup I designed in growveg.com: Wondering if this is okay for Zone 5 and for a first time gardener (I've grown tomatoes before, just not started/tended a garden)... I will start a seperate thread with my question about composting.

[​IMG]

In order from top to bottom starting with the left box, and each number signifies how many plants per square foot:

Tomato
    Basil
    Cukes
    Cilantro

Peppers (bell)
    Red Onion
    Green Onion
    White Onion
    Chives
    Peppers (hot)

Sweet Corn
    carrots
    potato
    raddish

Do you see any issues with this? I will be purchasing the seeds to sow the early plants soon as my last frost date is in May.

19. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I would move your peppers to the last bed on the right away from your tomatoes.

20. Neec0

Neec0 It is time...

What if we put the the corn/root bed in between and moved the pepper/onion bed to the outside?

Nothing is set in yet. That is just the way that I drew it out.

Thanks for your input!!!

I have SOOO much to study in a very short time... Anyone have a great link to the best seeds to use? I know I want heirloom where possible...

Again, I am a complete newbie.