Spinnig & Weaving

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Sep 19, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

So I'm new to spinning ... but getting the hang of it. ;) I started spinning with a spindle and moved up to a wheel as my herd grew. (five years now)

I want to learn how to weave, I did try to card weave :eek: and the lady in the book was right, peace, no kids and no phone calls is needed.:ignore: I did finish a few card weaving projects ... but I'm think maybe a table loom might be better :scratch will see ...

So anyone out there that spins or weaves ????

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Not as much as I used to. I've moved away from Tequilia and Gin and now stick to beer. My spins and weaves are now just staggers. :p Sometimes in the winter (when the wives are away) we'll do it on our tractors or ATV's. It looks like this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKy-wuksEfg]YouTube - Crazy Tractor drift on ice EXTREME !!![/ame]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I saw the thread title and that's the first thing I thought of.

Back on subject, it's not something that I've ever gotten into. I've decided buying a lifetime supply of clothes is the approach I'm going to take.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

LOL!!!! Thanks for the smile! :2thumb:

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

mennonites down the road have a big loom, I've never seen it in operation, but it's probably pretty cool to watch. I wonder how many looms are for sale (or even free) due to lack of use in the former textile belt? anybody see any on Craigslist?

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

A craft that I have never tried and do not have any unfinished projects to admit to!! :D

My Husband will be so proud!!!

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Craigslist (or my wishlist ;)) Does have more than a few large or floor looms. My problem with that is space ... I have a small house ... I think I will try a table loom first and see how I like it. If that works out maybe a out door loom ... :p

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

lol ... Come on ... you know you want to give it a try. ;)

8. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:sssh: Yes, I secretly do want to give it a try. But, alas, Dear Husband may divorce me if I try to bring another craft/hobby in to the house. He is convinced I had our daughter get married so I could have her bedroom to "hide" my craft stash from him. He is only partly right:D.

Right now I am trying to convince him that I need the treadle sewing machine from my Dads house. It is an up hill battle when I already have 3 sewing machines and a serger. :rolleyes:

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

LOL - I know what you mean.:D

I have my Grandma H's treadle sewing machine (she gave it to me just before she pasted.) I did give it a try when I first got it but not so much of late. I need to get it out, clean it up and "well" use it.

I hope your hubby comes around and you get the one from your Dads house.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We went to a farm auction in '09. There was a full size working loom in the barn. It was a "no-bid" item so it's still there. There was supposed to be another auction at the same farm this year but it hasn't happened yet. You could probably get it for $0.50.

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

The cattails around our marsh and lake have gone to fluff. I picked a couple of the heads and pulled apart the fluff. It seems very similar to the cotton I picked up in the fields of Mississippi earlier this year.

Makes me wonder...can a person spin the cattail fluff into yarn? We have a huge, fresh crop every year! Of course, most would have to be picked from the canoe, but still...

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not sure ...

I did try my hand with my cotton, yesterday ... All I will say is ... Oh crap, that didn't go as planned ...:gaah:

I need to step back and take a new look at that... more research is needed ... :(

crap ...

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

You're trying to spin cotton? That's cool! The craft store in the town near us has started carrying spinning wheels and other spinning-related products! I want to stop in and look over what they've got. I've never tried it. It seems like it would take patience to learn!

They give classes there too, so maybe...dare to dream...?

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The spinning is not hard to learn, now my wheel at first (getting it set right) well ...that is where the patience came in for me.

And to be honest it would have been better to take a few lessons ... but the shop was one and a half hour away for a 20 minute class. So I did pass on them.

Books, a dvd and youtube ... :D -dare to dream- yea, then go for it ... ;)

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Well ... if anyone is spinning with cattails ... they have not posted about it ... (that I could find ;))

From backwooks Home Mag ...

The utility of this cattail is limited only by your imagination. The dried stalks can be used for hand drills and arrow shafts. The seed heads and dried leaves can be used as tinder. The seed head fluff can be used for pillow and bedding stuffing or as a down-like insulation in clothing. The leaves can be used for construction of shelters or for woven seats and backs of chairs, which has been a traditional use for hundreds of years.

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Well...I guess I'll figure out how and then try to spin the cattail fluff! We have so much of it around here, and it would be a crop that replenished itself on it's own every year.

First I have to go to the yarn shop in town and talk to them about spinning and get set up wtih something to do it on. I like the internet/youtube idea for learning. It's a 45 minute drive to the little town with the shop, and even that's too far for a hermit like me!

17. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

well I finally bought me a drop spindle and some roving.
    gosh this is fun! lol ways to go to get an even yarn but getting the hang of it.
    found a gal and her hubby about 15 miles east of me who get lots of sheep and alpaca and such....so I bought a bunch of roving and some unwashed fleece also.
    being an avid knitter I figured it was time to start making my own yarn! lol
    me and the kids last week dyed some white roving with 6 different colors from Koolaid! they remind me of sherbet. bright and yummy!
    now I am spinning them and the kids want new socks, hats and mitts. lol

I also learned about thrumming mittens. You knit roving into your pattern and it becomes super fluffed inside making your mittens super warm.
    a newfoundland pattern. they are awesome. anyone else know about this?

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

I started on a drop spindle and moved to a wheel as my herd of sheep grew.

thrumming mittens - well ... I need to look into that. :2thumb: Thanks

19. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

I found a couple antique spinning wheels on craigslist. they look in real good shape. I don't have 500 bucks for one of those more upright newer ones.
    what kind of wheel do you have andi?

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have a Ashford - elizabeth II - Fairytale wheel - classic design. (I love it:D) I don't think we paid much over $500 for it ... (with tax and all)
    Also I paid cash and the lady gave me a bunch of goodies to go with it. (which was a nice surprise)

It helps also when Christmas, my anniversary and my birthday all fall within a few days of each other.;) lol

I did look at some of the antique spinning wheels ... but I had no clue (at that time) if they were all there or not. Plus ... I heard more than once, "Well, it worked, last time mom (grandma) used it." but they didn't spin and didn't know if it was in working order or not.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010