Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never bought or used soy beans, and with the current GMO information, soybeans seem to have been one of the first GMOs, but I wonder how others might have used soybeans?

Has anyone ever made their own tofu? What about soy milk or cheese?

I do not have any soybeans in my preps, but I am wondering if I should? I am looking for ideas and suggestions.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
This is from "The world's healthiest foods" website:

Replace some of the wheat flour in your favorite baked goods recipe with soybean flour and increase the protein content of your cookies, cakes, muffins and breads.

Mix sprouted soybeans into salads or use as toppings for sandwiches.

Frozen edamame is simple to prepare and makes a great snack or appetizer. Just add the soybean pods to slightly salted water and boil for approximately 10 minutes.

Add soybeans to vegetable stews and soups.

Use soymilk in place of cow¡¯s milk as a beverage and cereal topper.

(WHFoods: Soybeans)

I've sprouted it and used it as flour, mixed with wheat and other flours. One of these days I'm going to make soymilk. (I've been making rice milk)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Baked Soybeans

1 cup dry soybeans, soaked
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped, or 1/4 cup tomato paste or ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook the soybeans and drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Preheat oven to 350° F.

Combine beans, liquid and remaining ingredients in a casserole dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 45 minutes.

A couple of finely chopped garlic cloves and/or a chopped green or red pepper are good additions to the above casserole. The addition of 1/2 cup of corn kernels is another variation.

Serves 4.​

·
Registered
103 Posts
Soybeans

I was station in England from 1964 - 68 at RAF Chicksands. We often stopped and got a burger from a place called Wimpy Burgers, or something similar. What I found out later, was a good part of the burger was soy beans, cooked and mashed up. After I got out of the AF, I got some soy beans and decided to make total burgers out of the soy beans. I found a recipe and made them. Believe it or not my kids and Mom did not know the difference between my soy burgers and real burgers.
So in answer to your question, it had porven to be a good meat additive or substitute, and the soy bean is very nutricious.
You can search engine Soy Bean meals or recipes.
Later,
Popcorn590

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
I have come a long way. Soy is a nutritional blocker and I avoid it in anything. We have had discussions on other threads about this.
I'm glad you changed your outlook on soybeans.

I can't eat soy and neither can my mom. Both of us are on various medications(different conditions) and the soy blocks absorption.

·
76 Posts
I will not knowingly use anything GMO and that pretty much leaves Soy out of the picture for us, even if we wanted to use it. Almost impossible to find non-GMO.

My wife has the lactose intolerance thing going on and she has been drinking some Soy milk, but a couple of quarts of it from an organic store is a ridiculous price.

Our chosen route is a milk cow. Whole.......... non-pasteurized, non irradiated, no added chemicals and corn syrup....... milk, seems to make a difference. Go figure?!
And the side benefit is all that cream you can skim off and use in your coffee, or make butter, buttermilk, sour cream, ice cream, cheese.

Just one milk cow though produces more than a couple of people can use, but there are always neighbours that want milk, you can feed an orphan calf or two and milk fed butcher hogs are hard to beat. :)

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will not knowingly use anything GMO and that pretty much leaves Soy out of the picture for us, even if we wanted to use it. Almost impossible to find non-GMO.

My wife has the lactose intolerance thing going on and she has been drinking some Soy milk, but a couple of quarts of it from an organic store is a ridiculous price.

Our chosen route is a milk cow. Whole.......... non-pasteurized, non irradiated, no added chemicals and corn syrup....... milk, seems to make a difference. Go figure?!
And the side benefit is all that cream you can skim off and use in your coffee, or make butter, buttermilk, sour cream, ice cream, cheese.

Just one milk cow though produces more than a couple of people can use, but there are always neighbours that want milk, you can feed an orphan calf or two and milk fed butcher hogs are hard to beat. :)
I have heard that soy was the first GMO, so it has been around as a GMO for a couple decades, at least and maybe since the 60s or 70s.

My reasoning for starting this thread had to do with an online assessment of food storage. While I am over a year on some things, the assessment has a certain amount of soy beans, which I have never had. I have never bought or cooked soy beans per se, but I did have a bag of soy flour from some diet I tried a while back. I found that bag in my freezer and kicked it to the curb. I have stated this before, but many boxed and canned goods have soy in them. Salad dressings are the worst offender, IMHO, but I avoid cans and boxes from the grocery store in general. I have been making my own salad dressings for almost a decade now, and I use olive oil. The premade dressings seem to have mostly soy oil.

I am curious what I might have in my pantry or fridge now that has soy. Probably H.V. ranch dressing.

·
8,927 Posts

Just one milk cow though produces more than a couple of people can use, but there are always neighbors that want milk, you can feed an orphan calf or two and milk fed butcher hogs are hard to beat. :)
I am lactose intolerant as well. I found that storing almond milk for long term is an option since Trader Joe's sells it for less than $2 a quart. My main option is the lactose free cow's milk. I use it all the time. I have used the otc pills in the past and they work fine.

BTW soy in all its forms is really bad for women. It can contribute and feed cancers (breast cancer) and make menopause worse. My OB-GYN told me to stay away from soy because it can delay some fetal development.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because I understand that most soybeans are now GMO, I don't use them. If that were not my issue, I would use them in the form of tempeh.
Even if they were not GMO, they affect hormones and absorption of nutrition.

The worst thing about soy is that it has been the base of infant formula for decades. I have no idea what infant formula is made of now, but holy moly, I would not want to give it to my child. Not that my child had formula anyway. She did not.

·
76 Posts
Grimm............. good to know info. Thankfully we have the solution for my wife walking around out in the pasture, but so many people have no idea about some of the stuff we put in our bodies.

Weedygarden........... isn't it something? All this info we find out many years down the pike, long after kids are grown. No one knew back then and there are so many things that are coming back to haunt these days.

Makes me wonder what they are going to be telling us about GMO crops 50 years from now. Even though we have current information that suggests there may be some problems, it is being literally rammed down our throats. GMO soy and corn are used in so many products that it would be hard to find store bought processed food that does not contain it.

Only way around it is get into a position so that you can grow, raise and shoot all of your food to make sure it is as organic as can be accomplished.

·
76 Posts
Grimm............. we have seen almond milk advertised on TV and I know my wife was going to give it a try, but we could not find any near home. The little hick farm town grocery store does not carry it and the closest store we could find with it is 100 miles away, so not really an option.

I wonder, with the big decrease in almond production in California, due to the drought, I wonder if the cost of it might not see a big increase. I know there were many acres of almond farms taken out of production and the trees were knocked over, piled and burned.

·
8,927 Posts
Grimm............. we have seen almond milk advertised on TV and I know my wife was going to give it a try, but we could not find any near home. The little hick farm town grocery store does not carry it and the closest store we could find with it is 100 miles away, so not really an option.

I wonder, with the big decrease in almond production in California, due to the drought, I wonder if the cost of it might not see a big increase. I know there were many acres of almond farms taken out of production and the trees were knocked over, piled and burned.
Interesting. There is a very large almond orchard near us that manufactures under the name of Califia Farms. Or at least they supply Califia Farms. All the stores around here carry this brand and the folks here tend to buy it over the larger brands. I buy one of their cold brewed almond milk coffee drinks when ever I go to the supermarket. I also use their coffee creamer. Very yummy!

It seems a lot of the bigger almond milk brands are cutting their pure almond milk with coconut milk to keep up with demand. So far they are marking packages and not trying to pull a fast one on consumers.

Look into So Delicious brand milk alternatives. They make soy milk but they also make coconut milk, almond milk and even cashew milk. They do not add soy to any of their 'non-soy' products. They make coffee creamer, ice cream, milk and more. Most stores carry their products and Vitacost.com carries their shelf stable ones at a very good price. I have some of their non-soy shelf stable coconut milk and coffee creamer in the wet pantry.

·
76 Posts
Never heard of any of that, nor have I seen it. But then I am north of the 49th and in a very rural area a long ways from a big city. When it comes to groceries, nothing is cheap.

I guess your crystal ball isn't working........it would help if I filled out the location on my profile. I'll take care of that right now. ;)

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Grimm can verify this, but I believe you can buy a shelf stable version of almond milk. It may be a little more expensive, but it may work for your wife. You also may want to look at expiration dates on the cartons.

Some milk expires in a matter of a few days, some last for more than a month. Of course, we may not ideally really like what they do to that milk, but I think it would behoove you to check out the options carefully.

I grew up in a small town. People who needed special things out of town worked with others, taking turns to get what they needed. You might find an option that would work for your wife.

·
76 Posts
weedygarden.......... we solved it with a milk cow. My wife can drink raw milk and it does not bother her. Only time we need an alternative now is when we are going to "freshen" the cow and breed her. Then we have a period of down time with no fresh milk every day until she calves and starts producing again.

We can only get the lactose free milk in the closest grocery store. It is $9.00 for a two quart carton. Ouch!!!

Our closest big town with stores that will have some of the products like Almond milk and such is about 100 miles away, but even it does not have a great selection and certainly doesn't have much of a variety. For that we would have to hit the specialty stores in the big city and that is a 4 hour drive each way. We all, neighbours included, avoid going there if at all possible. By the time you factor in the cost of fuel there is no such thing as saving any money.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts