Prepared Society Forum banner

South Florida

Florida 
6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  phideaux 
#1 ·
South Florida here looking for people to start group in Miami Dade county or Broward

#27 ·
I've never heard or seen this.
Do you have links, or more info? I cant find anything about it. Jim
Here ya go....these are fantastic events! Geared to "homeless Vets," but all Vets are welcome. The last one I attended had five 53' Semi-trailers filled with everything from MRE's to Jump Boots!

https://www.va.gov/homeless/events.asp

Excerpt: "Stand Downs.....Stand Downs are typically one- to three-day events providing supplies and services to homeless Veterans, such as food, shelter, clothing, health screenings and VA Social Security benefits counseling. Veterans can also receive referrals to other assistance such as health care, housing solutions, employment, substance use treatment and mental health counseling. They are collaborative events, coordinated between local VA Medical Centers, other government agencies and community-based homeless service providers. Below are upcoming Stand Downs. New events are added regularly, so check this page often for updates. To add upcoming Stand Downs not listed below, please submit a notice of proposed event form to the VA Homeless Coordinator or VA Stand Down point of contact (POC) at your local VA Medical Center. To participate in an upcoming Stand Down, please contact the VA primary POC listed below."

http://nchv.org/index.php/service/service/stand_down/

Excerpt: "The original Stand Down for homeless veterans was modeled after the Stand Down concept used during the Vietnam War to provide a safe retreat for units returning from combat operations. At secure base camp areas, troops were able to take care of personal hygiene, get clean uniforms, enjoy warm meals, receive medical and dental care, mail and receive letters, and enjoy the camaraderie of friends in a safe environment. Stand Down afforded battle-weary soldiers the opportunity to renew their spirit, health and overall sense of well-being. That is the purpose of the Stand Down for homeless veterans, and achieving those objectives requires a wide range of support services and time. The program is successful because it brings these services to one location, making them more accessible to homeless veterans.
In July 2002, the founders of Stand Down - Robert Van Keuren, Dr. Jon Nachison and Vietnam Veterans of San Diego - asked the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV) to become the "keeper of the flame" and provide national leadership for the movement. Since the first Stand Down in San Diego in 1988, the program has become recognized as the most valuable outreach tool to help homeless veterans in the nation today."

#29 ·
Ok, thanks for the info.
Nothing in my area, but glad to see all the great help for VETs.
Jim
Check with your local Vet Rep, as there are other programs available, too. If you have a local VA Hospital, Clinic, check with their PIO, as they have other programs as well. The emphasis is on "homeless Vets," but there are many, many programs for ALL Vets.....if they just apply for them. This is a big problem as many Vets simply don't trust the VA, VA Reps, etc., and they won't even go apply for the programs.....hell, many of them won't even go to the Clinics, where they could be getting all their meds for free, annual physicals, etc.

The VA's "Domiciliary Programs," along with the TWE (Therapeutic Work Experience), which pays them $8-$10/hr for working at the VA Center, plus gives them residence, clothing, meals, etc., is a homeless Vets dream....if they would just apply for the programs! There are numerous Domiciliaries across the U.S., most of which have empty beds (rooms, actually...they are like motel rooms!)......

https://www.va.gov/homeless/dchv.asp

#30 ·
dmontano7 welcome and my advice to you is to never follow the advice of publish articles or very shiny toilet paper ,were beautiful clad models in fancy gear want to sell you all the Rambonian stuff ever made .Miami Florida is a city full of crooks, so is the internet ,so do your homework and ask many questions before you spend any money ,spend money in good quality items ,used are good too ,weapons I like them new from a reputable local dealer , I go to this web site for the best local prizes in my area;http://www.galleryofguns.com/retailer/# , don`t trust me just check around ,and even people you talk to will most likely guide you to a local crock ,some ranges rent a weapon for you to try ,choose one that fits your hand and is easy to carry if your going that route (CCW),is not the size of the bullet that counts ,on you tube ,https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45 ,this guy is very informative and has tested many weapons ,he`s independent also .Start small but good ,someone here already pointed out a .22 caliber weapon ,well there are many I`m not going to tell you my preference but buy good quality and if all possible buy American ,like a pair of good boots or equipment or frying pan .I`m no expert and I`m cheap as hell but I buy quality and read a lot and that makes me a very smart cheap old man.

#31 ·
I want to get some best ideas for some basic gear, i dnt have alot of extra money so i have been buying stuff at walmart and such, also what are some of the best places for learning how to shoot firearms. Am from the city so i have never handled one before
MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL. Learn to use one by taking a safety course before you shoot. If you can afford a gun you can afford the course.

Too many accidents happen to those who think it can't happen to them.:wave:

Also we like Hispanics long as they are Americans and assimilate. :wave:

#32 ·
I have a feeling that everything will be unraveling pretty soon and there are 19 million people in a state that is pretty much a hole, 300+ miles of hungry people between here and open space. My fiance much as i love her thinks that i am being paranoid, which means am not as free to prepare as much as i would like. I was thinking if i were to join a group i could store my gear with them or some such thing. The only other think i can think about is renting an storage unit and putting my stuff there and hope she doesn notice.
Tell her like it is :D and don't start off being deceptive, it is a very bad start. So is giving over too much power where relationship becomes a dictatorship. That will come naturally later on so fight it long as you can.;)

How do I know because I am a female controller. :coffee:. Hubby will put my brakes on when nessasary though. :wave:

#34 ·
That was some great advice. Now i have a question that has been bugging me, when i see videos on preparing canned items i always see people heating the cans or eating straight out the packaging. In a long term shtf situation dont you get more nutrition by combining the items into broths.

#35 ·
Lol i came clean told her i wanted to start prepping. She said i could if i only used 50 dollars a month only. And i cannot buy more than two guns [emoji51]
Great start. $50 a month is more than many start with and open discussion ia always better for any relationship. Good Going.

Now start a list of your priorities, it is easy to get caught up in the SHTF / Mad Max stuff but do your really need Hummer or is a good supply of food a higher priority? You might want to look at the necessities first. The rule of 3 can be a good start. Example: 3 days without water and you die, so maybe a water filter would be a good start. Food 3 weeks without food, you die, so food storage may be a good place to start. How safe is your neighborhood, very safe, then firearm maybe a third priority, bad neighborhood, the firearm may move up the list. These are just examples, not recommendations. You will need to assess your personal requirements.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Prepping.

#36 ·
That was some great advice. Now i have a question that has been bugging me, when i see videos on preparing canned items i always see people heating the cans or eating straight out the packaging. In a long term shtf situation dont you get more nutrition by combining the items into broths.
It depends on what your making and what you like. As long as your eating a variety you'll get what you need.

#37 ·
Here ya go....these are fantastic events! Geared to "homeless Vets," but all Vets are welcome. The last one I attended had five 53' Semi-trailers filled with everything from MRE's to Jump Boots!

https://www.va.gov/homeless/events.asp

Excerpt: "Stand Downs.....Stand Downs are typically one- to three-day events providing supplies and services to homeless Veterans, such as food, shelter, clothing, health screenings and VA Social Security benefits counseling. Veterans can also receive referrals to other assistance such as health care, housing solutions, employment, substance use treatment and mental health counseling. They are collaborative events, coordinated between local VA Medical Centers, other government agencies and community-based homeless service providers. Below are upcoming Stand Downs. New events are added regularly, so check this page often for updates. To add upcoming Stand Downs not listed below, please submit a notice of proposed event form to the VA Homeless Coordinator or VA Stand Down point of contact (POC) at your local VA Medical Center. To participate in an upcoming Stand Down, please contact the VA primary POC listed below."

http://nchv.org/index.php/service/service/stand_down/

Excerpt: "The original Stand Down for homeless veterans was modeled after the Stand Down concept used during the Vietnam War to provide a safe retreat for units returning from combat operations. At secure base camp areas, troops were able to take care of personal hygiene, get clean uniforms, enjoy warm meals, receive medical and dental care, mail and receive letters, and enjoy the camaraderie of friends in a safe environment. Stand Down afforded battle-weary soldiers the opportunity to renew their spirit, health and overall sense of well-being. That is the purpose of the Stand Down for homeless veterans, and achieving those objectives requires a wide range of support services and time. The program is successful because it brings these services to one location, making them more accessible to homeless veterans.
In July 2002, the founders of Stand Down - Robert Van Keuren, Dr. Jon Nachison and Vietnam Veterans of San Diego - asked the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV) to become the "keeper of the flame" and provide national leadership for the movement. Since the first Stand Down in San Diego in 1988, the program has become recognized as the most valuable outreach tool to help homeless veterans in the nation today."
I think I'll write these numbers and addresses down so next time I see homeless vet I can give them to them.:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.