Sometimes people just get hit...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Dec 25, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Is this near anyone?

Man, 5-Year-Old Girl Killed in Wyo. Ski Collision - FoxNews.com

Just like our own choices, the actions of others provides a threat source that's hard to control other than being totally isolated and avoiding life. I don't know who was in the wrong here, but the outcome is tragic. It might be said that the best prep is not to be there, not to do anything unnecessary, to avoid being impacted by someone else's actions when possible, but wow! does anyone know this area? Is this on the bunny slope?

2. AnimalcrackerHerder

AnimalcrackerHerder Active Member

My daughter and I were just talking about this last night. Here in Oregon we had a incident a few years ago where a 17 year old girl who was an Olympic hopeful was doing tricks on her snow board and landed up side down in a snow well around the base of a tree. She was unharmed but couldn't move. The bottom of her snow board was white and even though her friends were right there no one could see her. Search party's looked for her for days. She was found a few weeks later after a partial snow melt. If she would have landed a foot to either side of where she did she would have got up, brushed herself off and went back to boarding. It makes me wonder how many times a day death passes within inches of us and we never even know it. The tragedy of that story has always stuck with me so that was the one that I thought of when I read your link. In your story if either party would have been three feet to the left they would have just passed each other like people do on the slopes everyday and no one would have ever thought twice about it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Gee, and they never heard her yell for help? What a tragedy!

Regarding the first post here, I later read that the mother and daughter were on a "black" or expert run, they were both experienced skiers. The little girl had been skiing for 3 years. She was wearing a helmet. They'd stopped in the middle of the run, and the snowboarder popped into sight and ran into them.

It might sound like someone was careless but as a skier, I know many times people stop partway down a run, sometimes to rest, sometimes to compare notes or make plans, sometimes for other reasons. Sometimes I've come over a rise or around a curve and almost ran into (and sometimes did) people stopped in the run. Definitely not a safe thing to do.

All around, a lot of tragedies happen. I'm not saying it's a good thing the snowboarder died too, but if it had been me, I would have wanted to. I would have felt terrible beyond bearing it if I ran into and killed a little child (or anyone, for that matter), even if it was an unavoidable accident.

That said, I'm not going to sit in my house in fear of accidents, and not live my life. I'll become as skilled as I'm able to in whatever I'm pursueing, but then I'll get out there and do it!

:D

4. AnimalcrackerHerder

AnimalcrackerHerder Active Member

I agree Gyspysue. There is so much life to live out there. I have known people over the years that were so afraid that something might happen to them if they went out and did anything that they they just sat in their house and didn't live at all. They transfered their fear to their own kids and raised then on TV and video games. What a shame. Life is out there to experience in all its wonder if you just get out there and live it! My wife and I raised four wonderful kids and I will fear losing any of them throughout my entire life but that didn't stop us from teaching them to go out and live. We hiked and camped, hunted, fished, and rode horses back into remote places that would take your breath away. Now they are grown and are following the same lifestyle. I miss all the things we used to do together when they were kids but I don't regret for a moment that we taught them to spread their wings. If we try to keep our children wrapped in a bubble wrap of protection then we, and they, miss out on everything great in the world. People might say that if this mother hadn't had her daughter up there then this would have never happened, and they might be right. But if you live your life with that philosophy then you will never live at all.

In regards to the girl I mentioned that lost her life a few years ago, her death was a complete fluke. She was trapped straight down in the snow with her head 5 feet below the surface. Her white-bottomed snowboard was upside-down and flat against the surface. She couldn't move and any cries were muffled completely by the depth of the snow. She vanished so quickly that they thought she had been abducted. It was a terrible tragedy. They day they announced that they had found her body I cried. It bothered me so much that those first few minutes that they looked for her after she vanished she was right there. She was fighting for her life and all someone had to do is spread some branches and look under that tree. If they had then the outcome would have been completely different.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh, that poor girl! To be helpless, trapped upside down, possibly able to hear people looking for her. To die alone, scared and hopeless, is just terrible.

As for the first part of your post, animalcracker, I could have written it. We did much of the same things with our kids as they grew up. A lot of their friends had the scared, panicky parents who "protected" their kids!

I miss the things we did. My husband and I still get out and do a lot of the same things, but it's not the same! Some of our grandkids are getting old enough for adventures, and sometimes we get to go too!

My motto has always been that line near the beginning of "Walden's Pond", where the author, Thoreau, wrote that he didn't want to get to the end of his life and look back and realize that he never really lived.

You betcha! Get out and have some fun, people! It's a good way to stay in shape and learn some skills!

:D