Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not anti LEO by any means but sometimes they might overstep their bonderies or get their priorities mixed up.

Today me and some freinds were shooting left over bottle rockets in our neighborhood. Then a lady comes out and tells us shes calling the police. So we stop then 1 police car pulls up (I ran inside when she said that and I was watching from a window) and starts talking to the kids. Then a second police car pulls up! The first showed up 10 minutes after she called but when a truck was parked outside our driveway at 3AM it took them 45 minutes to get there.(Im not far from the station either) They then took the fireworks and threw them away.

Im trying to think of why they need 2 cruisers for kids between 8 and 15 shooting fireworks.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Wow, lex, that's screwed up. All the real crime going on out there, and they make it a priority to harass your friends over some fireworks? Gee.

Neighbor lady sounds like a winner too. Why not just ask nicely for the fireworks to stop and give the kids a chance to pack them up and not light off any more?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could understand where the lay came from if they were loud but we were shooting them in front of my house and my mom couldent hear them. The lady lives 4 houses down and she heard it while outside.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good golly! Around here you have to set someone else's house on fire to get anyone to respond to illegal fireworks... The neighbor about three houses up gets the ones that are big like the professionals have and shoots them off for the week before and a few days after and then off and on all darn summer... They make the windows rattle in my old house.. nothing ever happens to them(I have told him he's supposed to call me and let me know when he's gonna do it so we can have all the family over to watch. lol)
Any firework/bottle rockets etc... that go up in the air are illegal here in MI and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't have them here!;)
Great Googley Moogley it sounds like Possum Lodge around here most days...

·
Banned
399 Posts
Noises and flashing lights affect people differently. Loud noises and flashing lights make me very hostile. During anytime fireworks are sold I have to be extra careful. While fireworks do not bother those who are shooting them it can be quite a bother to those who do not like them.

I do know a man who uses the cover of fireswork the neighbors set off to cover up his small weapons fire at their livestock. According to him, if the neighbors don't think enough about him to take their fireworks away from his house he don't think enough of their animals to take his target practice elsewhere.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
...I do know a man who uses the cover of fireswork the neighbors set off to cover up his small weapons fire at their livestock. According to him, if the neighbors don't think enough about him to take their fireworks away from his house he don't think enough of their animals to take his target practice elsewhere.
What a jerk. I'm glad I don't live near him. There's a big difference between being annoying compared to being cruel to animals and wantonly destroying property. Is it legal for his neighbors to set off thier fireworks? If so and they aren't endangering him or his property he needs to suck it up or move. If it's illegal he needs to let the law handle it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
consideration for others

Being kind of a "get off my lawn" curmudgeon I was wondering to myself how long the "display" of "fun" went on before the JBT's were called.

Definition: fireworks. a combustible or explosive device for producing a striking display of light or a loud noise, used for signaling or as part of a celebration.

ANYTHING that goes "bang" has, at the very least, the potential of creating bodily harm or property damage. For example, a small bottle rocket, not completely spent, landing in dried leaves in a house gutter can have unfortunate consequences of the fire kind.

Also, from the coppers point of view, they are totally swamped by "fireworks calls" this time of year. They are human, (believe it or not), and after the umpteenth call about "those durn kids shooting off stuff", they tend to get a bit testy.

A suggestion to the O.P., (who obviously knew that he/she stirred up a hornet's nest because of the acknowledgement of bugging away from the scene, unlike the less intelligent participants who stayed there like doofuses and waited for the Fuzz to arrive), if yer gonna do stuff that you KNOW is gonna get somebody's undies in a bunch, take it somewhere away from your own house!:gaah:

·
Banned
399 Posts
What a jerk. I'm glad I don't live near him. There's a big difference between being annoying compared to being cruel to animals and wantonly destroying property. Is it legal for his neighbors to set off thier fireworks? If so and they aren't endangering him or his property he needs to suck it up or move. If it's illegal he needs to let the law handle it.
You must have never been around one of our servicemen who have been under fire. The loud noises and flashes from fireworks can do a lot of damage. You must have never owned an animal or bird that was killed or damaged by the loud noises and flashes of fireworks. Seems like that might be called cruelty to animals and wantonly destroying property. Guess you never heard of how many fires are caused by fireworks. But usually it is damage done to other people's property and animals. People just don't care when it is the other person's property that is destroyed. After all they enjoy doing it.

Where I live it is illegal to shoot off fireworks in the city limits. Also most of the time the 4th of July we have a burn ban because of no rain and the danger of fires. Of course this is no reason, for some, they should be allowed to stand in the street and shoot off fireworks. Just the danger of fires isn't important enough for them to stop their fun.
The damage they may be doing to their neighbors property, quality of life, nerves, animals,and health should take a back seat to their fun.

Sounds like the person in the OP let the LEOs handle it. Now most complain about the LEOs coming out and handeling it. Guess it is like usual. If something interferes in a person's choice of fun calling the LEO is wrong. If they are wronged the LEOs can't get there fast enough.

When a person decides to run when a LEO comes up you can bet they already know they were doing something wrong.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
You must have never been around one of our servicemen who have been under fire. The loud noises and flashes from fireworks can do a lot of damage. You must have never owned an animal or bird that was killed or damaged by the loud noises and flashes of fireworks. Seems like that might be called cruelty to animals and wantonly destroying property. Guess you never heard of how many fires are caused by fireworks. But usually it is damage done to other people's property and animals. People just don't care when it is the other person's property that is destroyed. After all they enjoy doing it.

Where I live it is illegal to shoot off fireworks in the city limits. Also most of the time the 4th of July we have a burn ban because of no rain and the danger of fires. Of course this is no reason, for some, they should be allowed to stand in the street and shoot off fireworks. Just the danger of fires isn't important enough for them to stop their fun.
The damage they may be doing to their neighbors property, quality of life, nerves, animals,and health should take a back seat to their fun.

Sounds like the person in the OP let the LEOs handle it. Now most complain about the LEOs coming out and handeling it. Guess it is like usual. If something interferes in a person's choice of fun calling the LEO is wrong. If they are wronged the LEOs can't get there fast enough.

When a person decides to run when a LEO comes up you can bet they already know they were doing something wrong.
Illegal to shoot off fireworks inside city limits.
Illegal to shoot off small arms inside city limits.
Two wrongs dont make a right.
Sounds like a bunch of jerks to me.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I agree but it never hurts to go to your neighbor and ask kindly that they not shoot off fireworks for such and such a reason. If its illegal you could make mention of that. If that doesnt work you can warn them that you will have to call the police. Then you can call the police if you think it is that high a priority.

Whats with everyone running to the police with every little dispute? Whats with everyone suing everyone else when someone does something they dont like? What has happened to Americans solving their own problems? What has happened to neighbors being neighborly (on both sides of the equation!)? :gaah:

·
Banned
399 Posts
Illegal to shoot off fireworks inside city limits.
Illegal to shoot off small arms inside city limits.
Two wrongs dont make a right.
Sounds like a bunch of jerks to me.
But the jerk shooting off small arms in the city would not be doing so until the other jerk shot off the fireworks.. It was in retaliation.
If no fireworks were illegally fired off then no illegal small arms fired off.
If a person decides to break the law they should be prepared for another person to do the same.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
But the jerk shooting off small arms in the city would not be doing so until the other jerk shot off the fireworks.. It was in retaliation.
If a person decides to break the law they should be prepared for another person to do the same.
Right, that makes sense. Like if someone cuts me off while driving to work (accidentally or no) they should be prepared for me to try to run them off the road -- its only fair. They get what they deserve, right?

·
Banned
399 Posts
Right, that makes sense. Like if someone cuts me off while driving to work (accidentally or no) they should be prepared for me to try to run them off the road -- its only fair. They get what they deserve, right?
Not exactly right but some people don't really need much reason.
Not all bad. Think of all the people the person has already cut off in their driving career, some may have resulted in accidents. They can use it as a learning lesson and it might save lives later on.
See every cloud has a silver lining.

·
3,698 Posts
I agree but it never hurts to go to your neighbor and ask kindly that they not shoot off fireworks for such and such a reason. If its illegal you could make mention of that. If that doesnt work you can warn them that you will have to call the police. Then you can call the police if you think it is that high a priority.

Whats with everyone running to the police with every little dispute? Whats with everyone suing everyone else when someone does something they dont like? What has happened to Americans solving their own problems? What has happened to neighbors being neighborly (on both sides of the equation!)? :gaah:
No argument here! There are legal ways to handle legal problems. But there has to be some tolerance as well. Sometimes we have to let others exercise their rights if we want the freedom to exercise ours. We conatantly have to deal with people who move in fro out-of-state and then try to stop people from shooting firearms. If they want to live where no one shoots firearms then they should have moved somewhere else.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We only shot the fireworks for 5 minutes and she could not here them from inside. The only reason she heard them was because she was outside. Even then they werent loud. Also this is the same neighbor that likes to block the road with their cars.:rolleyes: If she had asked us to stop we would have. All she did was waste the LEO's time and gas.

·
3,698 Posts
...If a person decides to break the law they should be prepared for another person to do the same.
That's called "anarchy" and places like that are horrid places to live. What's next, we start shooting each other?

A jerk is a jerk and two wrongs do not make a right. If anyone is shooting fireworks legally (and safely) then no one has a right to retaliate against them. If the action is illegal then let the law handle it.

·
3,698 Posts
Sounds to me like they are both a danger to those around them and both should spend some time in jail for the good of all. I personally would find the hothead with a gun more dangerous to the public than an idiot with fireworks.

·
Banned
399 Posts
That's called "anarchy" and places like that are horrid places to live. What's next, we start shooting each other?

A jerk is a jerk and two wrongs do not make a right. If anyone is shooting fireworks legally (and safely) then no one has a right to retaliate against them. If the action is illegal then let the law handle it.
If I am not mistaken that is what happened in this case. Yet many people complain the cops showed up. Even the person shooting off the fireworks knew it was wrong as they ran and hid when the cops showed up.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Sounds to me like they are both a danger to those around them and both should spend some time in jail for the good of all. I personally would find the hothead with a gun more dangerous to the public than an idiot with fireworks.
I think I would rather consider the person causing the problem more dangerous. If they would not have caused the problem there wouldn't have been one. It was their choice. They just made the wrong choice.

·
Gear Head
32 Posts
Wow, it's really ok to shoot someone's livestock because they're playing with fireworks? Someone who kills animals for fun or revenge can't be the most stable person in the world. And where does it go from there?

Ahhhhh, I think it's best to delete the rest of what I had to say. I might have offended you and taken some fire at my own house...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.