Something I think is about to happen with food prices

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lhalfcent, Dec 16, 2010.

1. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

hey all.
    With the holidays coming of course many of us bake right? :)
    Anyway, I needed some more whole wheat flour to finish some baking and ran to Coburns grocery store here.
    I was amazed to find most of the flour's in the baking aisle were on super sale.
    Happy i was able to get 5lb bags of whole wheat flour stone ground for $2.19 a bag! And a 25lb bag of Dakota Maid bread flour for only $8.99 which was 50% off!!!
    So I am thinking wow, maybe i can get some more butter and eggs cuz this is obviously a holiday overstock sale right??
    Nope, only the flours and a few baking additions were on sale. Butter is at $4.29 a pound, eggs are approaching $3.00 a dozen and such.
    I live only 50 miles from the Twin Cities proper so i am not out in the boonies where we only have one lil ole grocery store.
    Then it hit me that the last time there was a mega sale on coffee and juices the prices went up within a few weeks to double.
    So i found a manager and started chatting about great prices blah blah lol and then asked if this was an overstock sale or what.
    After chatting a bit i finally homered in and asked point blank if there was a price increase coming. my gut told me there was and sure enough he did finally reveal that come January there was a hefty price increase coming on many many items.
    I didn't tell him i was a prepper but I did say i like to bake and stuff and will buy to stock up and what a great sale blah blah. Had to keep him warm but off guard. lol
    so there you go folks...I got it from a store manager of a big grocery store chain that prices are hiking so if you can take advantage of those things you need more of I would.
    blessings

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

coming ?!!?!!? it's already HERE :eek:

if you pay attention to store circulars/sale papers you can find what you need at different stores, just make sure to itemize your lists, do not deviate from it (the hardest part), and plan your route, combining other errands if you can & you can come out ahead... well, further ahead than most ;)

3. lhalfcent

oh I know it is already happening. But something i have noticed over the past few years is when an item goes on super sale....that is the item that will go into hyper price hike soon.
    I finally realized i can predict pretty well what the next thing to go up will be. It has worked for me and my family and so far we are doing pretty well. lol
    I already have stock up but when prices like this take place I know it is time to enhance if you know what I mean. :p

4. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

yep...I've learned: take advantage of the super sales! Sometimes a big sale is also to get rid of an item that is changing packaging and size too. Either way, it's worth your while to get it.

5. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Talk about sticker shock!! I needed a pint of heavy cream last weekend and the price was $4.65 for the store brand. I don't have to pay that much for a gallon of milk @ $4.25. Needless to say I substituded half-n-half for the heavy cream. When we find a good buy on things we use we try to buy a case if there is no limit. I have read in many places on the internet that there will be a 30% across the board price increase in foods this next year. Atlanta stores are now charging 50% more for fresh produce due to the weather in Florida. Get ready folks, it's coming.

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I see it too...I had everything for my veg/beef soup(with left over roast we had already eaten for 3 nights)---tomatoes, corn, cabbage from the freezer,
    all but lima beans I refused to buy and then realized I can't make soup without lima beans....:cry:
    Husband brought home two cans...$1 each...the little can!!:mad:

So my list includes Lima beans from Aldi's this week...did I actually think the price would decrease?? Aldi's and Sav-a-Lot..can't beat 'em.

But, I have $1.75 little canned hams and 1.65 sugar..and lots of things I bought earlier and can see drastic savings by buying lots of it.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Ihalfcent---it's like the Libby's corn, peas, and green beans, 3/$1 for three days---as the comedian said, "stock up"!!
    Well, I did and they are 60 cents ON SALE at Kroger and 80 cents now at DG where I got them 3/$1!!

I do know we have been stocking for 2 years..a few months ago, I saw canned vegetables increase everywhere, and bought as many as our budget would allow at Aldi's...then, the next couple weeks, Aldi's dropped their prices and just puzzled me..:scratch

8. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

Several National Brands have already announced that there will be a 20% cost increase in their products after the first of the new year (2011)!

9. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

It's just a matter of time before current fuel prices push the cost of food even higher.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

That's what I'm afraid of, BizzyB. Gas is back up to $3.09 here for regular. I'm not even sure what diesel is going for now.

We buy all of our canned veggies at Aldi's any more. Seems to be running right around 55cents a can for green beans (14.5 oz) and I eat usually 5-6 cans a week. I like green beans. :) We'll be planting a much bigger patch next year.

11. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

$3.35 around here.

Just as a reference point;
    I planted 25 yellow wax bean plants this year. I canned 56 pints and 6 quarts. 10 climbing green bean plants yielded about 20 quarts plus seed for next year.

12. glendasplace

glendasplace Member

Between myself and my two daughters we manage to hit the sales every day sometimes twice if it is something we really use alot of. Most of the stores here limit the things they know people want to buy alot of for storage and what not.

13. lhalfcent

I am going back to the store tomorrow to buy more grain flours as much as i can.
    we had a half foot of snow today and so i baked bread lol and cookies... also read the latest from the the national inflation group and wowzers...all i can say is we just have to be ready no matter what.
    i am also heading to aldis to stock up on some more canned goods and pasta.
    I hope butter is a good price cuz i am down to four pounds after all the baking. sigh
    but prices are bound to shoot up for certain soon especially with oil prices predicted to hit $150-200 a barrel soon. So we all will be seeing gas prices at 3-4 dollars. Gas went up here where I live to $2.89 and I bet by this weekend it hits $3.00. will let you all know if it does.
    oh meant to add... i got three brandywine tomato plants in my topsy turvy but it has been so darn cold here that i am afraid drafts of cool air you can't avoid it stunting their growth. I got a plant light to keep it warm and it hangs in a south window but we haven't had much sun lately. sigh

14. piglett

piglett Well-Known Member

I just saw that my local walmart has 20LB bags of rice for $12.49 (reg price $17.49)
    i think i'll get a bag every couple of days till they end the sale.

My wife is from the Philippines & once she arrives here in the summer i know we will be going through a fair amount rice so why not pile some up?

i'm looking at getting some Home depot 5 gal. buckets
    i think they will be a cheep way to store a bunch of dry goods in my attic

piglett

15. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

pay close attention to the sales and many times you'll find something on sale for 30% off but it'll also be in a lot smaller package or can.

16. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

that is no bargin if it's long grain rice, 50# for less than 20 dollars at Sams club.

17. piglett

piglett Well-Known Member

Oh ??? well i guess i'll have to start going there once a month even though it's a hike(1 hour) from my place

thanks
    piglett

18. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I bought long grain rice for 59cents a pound at Save-a-Lot. That is their regular price.

19. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

We continue to build our food stock. Found incredible sources recently and shared in another post.

Just purchased another freezer and stocking up on holiday specials. We now have 12 frozen turkeys purchased at .58 a pound. Watch your beef prices and stock up when it is on deep discount. We also buy a lot of meat marked "Reduced for quick sale" and freeze it as well.

Daughter turned us on to a pretty cool website.

Southern Savers

Worth a look. They combine sale ads with available coupon for each of the stores listed.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Jason, Libby's at Dollar General, if you're going that way, are .45 cents..buying cases like I do saves a little..I got them at 3/$1 and really saved for the same are 80 cents at Kroger and elsewhere..and 80 cents last week at DG...saw a circular and they're 45 cents again this week.
    Hope this helps... I know only 10 cents but at 3 cases, that's 3.60, huh??:)