Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
their are many shows on the discovery channel that have shown mid-scale agricultural methane reclamation on dairy farms as a viable energy source:

cool fuels
ecopolis
dirty jobs - the one with the 'poo pots'
invention nation

those are all I can think of off the top of my head

from what information I have compiled, a dairy farm can generate it's own electricity, heat all of it's buildings & STILL have enough left over power to sell to the grid = 1 avg US household/2 cows

of course, if people were more conscientious in their energy usage that # could go down

the solids after composting don't have any poo-smell & look like rich dark earth

I haven't seen any #s for other types of livestock, especially since none of them poop as much as a holstein cow (100+ lbs/day)

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Iceland has a tremendous national-level alternative energy program going, they even have a train that runs on cow-produced methane... it gets either 1 mile/4 cows or 4 miles/cow I can't remember which

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I was mistaken, it was a Swedish Company...

The Svensk Biogas company of Linköping, Sweden, has built a locomotive that runs on cows and cow manure. The $1.25 million engine, which replaces an old Fiat diesel-powered locomotive along a local commuter line, is billed as the most environmentally friendly train in the world.

wow... that's cheaper than a normal locomotive costs to buy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts