Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Solar Cooker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have a sale going on with the SolSource Parabolic Cooker.

Until 20 June, 2014 you can get it (including shipping) for only $419.00
This is a nice deal compared to the $465.00 regular retail cost.

This parabolic is the finest and most well built on the market and it is
also the easiest to assemble, transport and is very user friendly...

For more information see the webpage: http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/solsource_parabolic_solar_cooker.html

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I like that design!

When the funds become available I may order one from you, too many things ahead of it on the "get list" for now since I already have one of your older Parabolic Cookers.

·
Solar Cooker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These will always be available, no hurry

These (SolSource) will always be available and yes, they really are a nice cooker.
But, don't lose your sentiment for your Solar Burner, it is still a great parabolic
and it has a lot of power.

I use my two Solar Burners all the time still and they keep working like the day I first got them all those years ago.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I do have a question for you, what is the best way to clean dust off the polished aluminum?

I've been afraid to use anything like a cloth and windex to clean it, dont want the dust to scratch the finish. I keep the cooker covered with plastic while it's put away but sometimes a fine layer of dust finds it's way in.

I dont have any issues with the cooker I have, works great, I do like how the "SolSource" sits lower to the ground though.

·
Solar Cooker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaning your solar cooker reflective surface

Whether it is aluminum or reflective vinyl on your reflector surfaces I have always found water to be the quickest, and safest way to clean these surfaces.
You, are correct in the fact that even the finest dust can be abrasive when wiped off with a dry cloth.
This is why I use water from a bucket or hose etc. to clean of my parabolic relfetor surfaces.
And, when it is splattered with grease or oil, then hot, soapy water and a soft rag will take this off very well, after which I spray the suds off with clean water.

Some people fear that the water will loosen the reflective vinyl on the panels, but after about six years of cleaning my Solar Burner in this way I have not had much problem with the adhesive backed vinyl coming off of the parabola.
And, if it does start to curl on the edges I can trim it with a knife, and if it were to come off, I can also patch or replace the vinyl for only pennies worth of material.

Here is a video from a customer of ours a few years ago showing how he cleans his solar burner (end of video)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts