Solar Storm/Filament May 19

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Centraltn, May 18, 2011.

1. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

AURORA WATCH: A magnetic filament exploded away from the sun on May 17th and propelled a cloud of plasma into space. The cloud (a CME) was not aimed directly at Earth, but it could deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field during the late hours of May 19th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.
    From www.spaceweather.com

2. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Yep been watching, thanks dear!

3. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

Had no clue - thanks for the info!

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh cool! I'm going to sleep out on our trampoline tomorrow night so I can watch for it! It's been a while since we've seen "northern lights" (the aurora)!

5. Centraltn

INTENSIFYING SOLAR ACTIVITY: A new sunspot is emerging over the sun's southeastern limb (image) and it is crackling with C-class solar flares, including a C2-flare at 1446 UT and a C6-flare at 1643 UT. So far none of the blasts has been geoeffective. The emergence of this new active region interrupts more than two weeks of relative quiet. Stay tuned.

additionally:

Solar wind
    speed: 483.4 km/sec
    density: 3.6 protons/cm3
    explanation | more data
    Updated: Today at 2145 UT
    X-ray Solar Flares
    6-hr max: C5 1643 UT May27
    24-hr: C5 1643 UT May27
    explanation | more data
    Updated: Today at: 2100 UT

Daily Sun: 27 May 11

Coronal Holes: 27 May 11

A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole could reach Earth on May 28-29. Credit: SDO/AIA.
    And:
    Geomagnetic Storms:
    Probabilities for significant disturbances in Earth's magnetic field are given for three activity levels: active, minor storm, severe storm
    Updated at: 2011 May 26 2200 UTC
    Mid-latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
    ACTIVE 20 % 25 %
    MINOR 05 % 10 %
    SEVERE 01 % 05 %

High latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
    ACTIVE 30 % 35 %
    MINOR 10 % 15 %
    SEVERE 05 % 05 %

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

And for us county folks ... What did you say ... :confused: lol

northern lights - gypsysue, watch them for a little extra time ... for me, :D

7. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Just starting to research solar activity myself..

C class flare is mid range, if it gets worse, flares or storms can damage electrical items...

That's about all I know for now. :surrender:

Here's an interesting website I found...

Archive of the most severe solar storms

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

interesting website ... That it is. :2thumb:

Thanks for posting it.

9. Centraltn

DJ! You HAVE been doing your homework.
    DJ is correct.. it is talking about an increase of solar storm activity today and tomorrow that could cause some disturbances in communications and in your satellite tv. The different classes of storms are class M.. a moderate solar flare, class C.. a good strong solar flare and a CME or a class X which is a major solar flare that could cause great damage to electrical grid and electrical items. IN the next 2 or 3 yrs, nasa has warned of a VERY active solar activity period, with a greater chance of damaging solar flares

10. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

X-class flares that are earthbound are the ones that need to be payed attention to.

11. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Ok. I believe you.

Jimmy