Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Sounds interesting.

What kind of costs are associated with the LED panel? I just setup an 80watt panel on my camping trailer for under $1000 (including charge-controller that is capable of running upto 240watt of power).

I have a nice electronics-kit that I could use to put the panel together. What kinds of materials are required for the base - does it use wires to join the LED's together or would a large printed-circuit-board do the trick?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
So, in other words, your 3,000 LED panel cost you $75 for the LED's, plus the panel, plus the base-plate for a guestimated total of $90. That puts out approx. 1.5 volts at 300mA (milliAmp)?

If I rough-calculate the requirement to recharge my series-wired 6-volt deep-cycle batteries, I would need 8 of the panels at 3,000 LEDs (total cost would be 8 panels @ $75 = $600) to reach my 12-volt requirement. Then my amperage would need to be significantly boosted to push power into my camper (at least equal amperage to what my solar-panel puts into it which is ~7-amp hr depending on sunlight).

How many panel-sets of 8 would be required to reach something equal-to what my current solar-system does? My guess is that if it is truely 300mA per panel-set I would need to setup a series/parallel set of 8 x 3 to reach 1 amp and 7 sets of those to reach my optimum 7-amp of power going to my batteries.

Am I correct in my numbers here, or, am I not quite understanding how it all lays out?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts