Solar Flare Coming Our Way

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by UncleJoe, Feb 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

FIRST X-FLARE OF THE NEW SOLAR CYCLE: Sunspot 1158 has unleashed the strongest solar flare in more than four years. The eruption, which peaked at 0156 UT on Feb. 15th, registered X2 on the Richter scale of solar flares. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded an intense flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation, circled below:

X-flares are the strongest type of solar flare, and this is the first such eruption of new Solar Cycle 24. In addition to flashing Earth with UV radiation, the explosion also hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) in our direction. The expanding cloud may be seen in this movie from NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft. Geomagnetic storms are possible when the CME arrives 36 to 48 hours hence. Stay tuned for updates.

SWEET AURORAS: Last night, as predicted, a gust of solar wind hit Earth's magnetic field, sparking bright Valentine's auroras around the Arctic Circle.

"It was a short but beautiful blast of Northern Lights," says Ingvaldsen. "Perhaps this is a preview of things to come later this week." Indeed, a series of CMEs en route to Earth from exploding sunspot 1158 are expected to arrive on Feb. 15th-17th, prompting bright displays at even lower latitudes. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Heard a report tonight on the radio that got me 'doing some searching" :D

Per the report solar flares are to increase the next couple of years ... and "IF" a flare would hit the U.S. grid it could take it down and take up to four years to repair. :dunno:

For the most part, I'm just a Sky watcher ... when it comes to a Solar Flares ... can someone with more info help me out? ;)

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Wear a hat and sunglasses. :D

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind.:idea:

5. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

6. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Good idea. Also, some lead underwear might be a good idea. :eek:

7. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

Known about this for years. ;)

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

nj_m715, Thanks for the link.

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

We all expect earthquakes, water and high wind, maybe even a nuke or two. It would may be something as simple as a super flare to shut it all down and kick our buts. Who knows?

10. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

apparently the sun threw a humongous flare in the last 24 hours.
    I have read some saying it is earth directed and some say it is not then some say it might be a glancing blow...lol
    sure wish people would get it straight. :p

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

You and me, both!

I not sure who to believe. :gaah:

Some real news without all the spins would be nice but I'm not holding my breath on that.

12. preppingsu

preppingsu Active Member

Do you have any links to this information please?:)

13. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

too late to see any new reports on this...but spaceweather.com was one site that said a glancing blow...
    nasa.gov had a loop vid on the flare saying it was earth bound. so go figure.

14. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Where ???

SOLARCYCLE 24.com / SolarHam.com / Solar Cycle 24 / Spaceweather / Amateur Radio VHF Aurora Website
    (updates every 3 minutes)

Best site that I know doesn't show a thing... they are linked with NOAA, SOHO etc., they've never let us down.

As HAM radio operators, we rely on this link for long-range communications "windows".