Social Security Cost of Living Increase?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sgt. Mike, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike Member

Social Security Payments to Shrink for First Time in a Generation - Political News - FOXNews.com

Can this really be true? Michael

In case the link dies:

2. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

I read that there will be no COLA at the end of this year :cry:........who knows what the future holds :mad:

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

No cola. NO LIFE!

4. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen Well-Known Member

Come on folks... you know our Dear Leader needs our support. Missing a COLA for a year or twelve really isn't that much of a burden in order to assist Dear Leader in his quest to socialize every aspect of our lives. And, you have to admit, Brazil really needed that $2 billion Dear Leader is giving them so they can prospect for oil offshore. (Oh, that's right... we are forbidden to prospect off our own shores. Oh well, Dear Leader knows best, doesn't he?)

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:congrat: thanx for the rightthink, Jez, I needed that laugh, uh oh they're coming to take me away heehee :ignore:

6. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Since it is a COLA (cost of living allowance) (it's tied to the inflation rate), and there is negative inflation, then there is not a need for a COLA, right?

I really don't feel too sorry about it, as right I had to take a 30% paycut to KEEP my job.

Just sayin'

7. set2survive

set2survive Active Member

Not to worry the Dear Leader is sending out $250 checks to all Social Security recipents, regradless of whether they are poor or filthy stinking rich. I'm sure he wasn't trying to buy votes ;-) Also $250 to all the disabled verterans some of whom have very slight disabilities, I work with a guy who does the same job, yet he'll be getting his second $250 check because he had knee injury 20 years ago; you'd never know it to see walk around.
    Will he think about voting democratic next election? mmm, maybe.

8. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

O is surely going to alienate the seniors. They vote. He is setting his party up for a drubbing in the off year elections.

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

They can take that and, well crap i can't realy say i reckon. They them don't give a big hairy rats (eye ball) what we want, they are gona stuff this crap down our throat's because we is only the stupid masses, we is to dum to know what we want, they will tell us. Ya reckon. I'll tell ya what they can take this commist crap and... Sunshine wonderfull sunshine.. see i didn't go there, but i is there. Ya reckon.

10. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

If any of you think that Social Security will be around at all 20 years from now, you best rush out for some KoolAid, I recommend the Blue.

Never should have existed, Demon Roosevelt should have been impaled on the mall.

The ultimate example of using the taxpayers dollar to buy votes
    Sam

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  11. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Get real used to living without it folks. SS is going away, or will be paid in a fixed benefit in inflated dollars that will make it totally worthless.
    It's going the way of the Dodo, along with govt. pensions that were earned too.
    And the Govt. medical care that they lied to you vets about too.

Sam

12. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Well i never how dare ya accuse our fine elected bests of buying votes. :rolleyes: I think sam is 100% it's not gona last. If left alone and not raided it might have been fine, a little dip into the pot here and there and what should have been left alone will or already has melted away to nothing. It's our fault's folk's we let it happen. We the people are the very one that fell asleep at the wheel for what 50 year's or was it longer. I to have been guilty of this i just hope more of us wake up from this soon to be nightmare.

13. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike Member

Let's add to the government agenda. For all of you on Medicare, check and see if your doctor will be accepting Medicare in the future. On March 1, 2010 Medicare could see a 21+% reduction in doctors payment. Because of the insurance costs for malpractice many doctors have formed corporation or groups. Will your doctor be taking Medicare after March 1, 2010?

Normally the government does this each year and now many doctors are calling it enough. Check this out to make sure it is true. Check the Mayo Clinic in, I believe, Arizona. My doctor says nothing has been done to stop the 21+% decrease in the amount that doctors are paid. If your doctor refuses to take Medicare and you worked and played by the rules only to have the rules change, what do you do? Check this out before you reply. Call and talk to your Senator/Representative and ask them if this is true. Michael

14. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

What you people don't understand is that not only are we missing the Cola for this year but for ever.......and also the % what we would be gettin in the future on the Cola that we didn't get this year.

15. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Sorry to tell you this but people on Social Security and Disability DID NOT get a COLA this year. I don't know where that 5.8% went to, but it did not go to those on Social Security. A letter went out saying that because there was no increase in the inflation rate there would be no COLA this year. I get SS but I also have a retirement plan. While not getting an increase in the SS Amount of my check, I did suffer a lose of income because the cost of medicare insurance went up, along with my private medical insurance payments. While not getting a COLA did not hurt me it has affected those who are at the bottom of the payment level. And like others I am not depending on SS being around much longer.

16. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no confidence that social security will be there when I'm eligible for benefits. I'm 57 now, and mostly worried about the talk of the government taking our 401k's and putting them in some kind of pool or annuity. it's just another way to take your money. There is also talk of not letting people get their money when they want or need it. In an emergency, which could mean anything, the SEC will cease withdrawels from everyones 401k. They will shut down everything. Again, just another way to grab your money.

Also , in any national emergency, the banks will close up for a while, and you won't be able to get any money to pay bills or anything. The government did it before, they will do it again. I get such a hoot out of these people who say, "oh that can't happen".

The Feds in Washington are thumbing their nose at the American people, and congress everyday. Americans don't really stand a chance.

Everyone needs to wise up, and realize the social security, like every other program in our government is broke. How long the charade will last is anyone's guess. I don't think things can keeep going as they are much longer. Most everyone is looking around at each other, and shaking their heads in disbelief, and asking each other , "does the government really expect us to buy that crap"? How anyone could say we are in a recovery, and loook around and see how plainly visible the economic misery is, is beyond me.

At the first sign of trouble with social security, there could be a mad rush to cash out 401ks. Then the fun willl start. The rest of this year will prove very telling for what's to come.

17. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike Member

Social Security

At the risk of making a lot of people mad, here goes. How much money would Social Security have if the government did not take out I.O.U.'s at the end of the year or when ever they steal it? How much money would be in the Medicare system if Medicaid, for the most part, Welfare), was not paid out of it? When a political body tells me that to deduct from Medicaid would be political suicide, then I wonder if we have more workers or non workers (those who have not paid into any system and don't plan to).

In time it will be too late for our great country. I'm grateful that so many young Americans have chosen to help our country by going into the military. I'm very proud of each and every one of them. Michael

18. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

social security

I believe there would be enough money to fund social security if our government wasn't so involved with things they have no constitutional authority to be doing in the first place.

Hard questions need to be asked. How many wars are we fighting just to push an agenda that is at best questionable.? How many troops does it take, at the astronomical cost we are paying, to kill a few thousands rag head camel jockeys.?? How much money would we save, if we just started closing up military bases far and wide, and just concentrated on protecting our nation itself?? How much money could we save if we stopped giving all this foreign aid to countries that don't even like us?

My whole point is, there are billions out there to be saved, that would at least get us started back in the right direction, that would enable the governemnt to keep social security solvent, and pay for other needed things. But as we will soon find out, you can't have it all.

My other line of thinking is that our leaders don't really care anyway. They just do what their puppet masters tell them. The government wants us broke and begging. That's the way they get to initiate the rest of their agenda. I could be dead wrong, but after a while, things sure seem obviious to me.

I don't think anyone really believes they will be able to get the benefits they are entitled to for the rest of their lives. I certainly don't. I think our leaders will drag out any decision to be made for as long as they can. I believe we will see more veteran legislators retire before election time, as they already know what's coming, and it won't be pleasant being under the gun, having to answer why to so many tough questions.

what do you think??