So, who has homestead livestock.....

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by Jimmy24, May 29, 2011.

1. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

.....and what types?

I've run the gamet myself thru the years, but currently none. If I move to the retreat at some point soon, I plan on chickens, turkeys and feeding out the wild hogs I catch. Might have a goat or two for milk and cheese, but don't know for sure.

Whats on your list?

Jimmy

2. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

We used to have so many diff animals the locals called us the ark! Right now we have none but we will probly do milk goats- likely nubians, neighbor is gonna do chickens so I guess I'll do bronze turkeys, and if I can get the pond done anytime soon- I'll do ducks also. Hubby wants to do just a few cattle for beef and enlarge the herd SLOWLY, so we are likely to choose black angus for that. Right now I only have 3 horses and 2 of them are pretty old. Rabbits might be a good idea also. Feed conversion to weight is astonishingly efficient and they would supply a great deal of meat over the years.

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Chickens right now. plan on beef and milk cows.

4. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well we have 7 goats all nubians our buck was on the Ark so it's time to replace him as were two of the girls.. the new buck is on the way any day and 4 of the girls are good for breeding yet... chickens , ducks, turkeys coming from eggs , when they hatch I'll hopefully post pics.. rabbits will be ext but it's just too hot for that right now.. been in the high 90's for a few days now..and summer ain't here yet... this area is over run with wild hogs so this fall I will be looking at building a trap in the wet land next to the creek... will either get some young ones and feed them up or hope for some bigger ones to butcher out.. but that too has to wait for cooler weather.. we do have an old horse but shes just for looking at...lol .. hopefully by this time next year we wull have things running smooth.. but it can do it's job right now if need be

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

4 horses
    1 donkey
    1 llama
    10 goats
    17 chickens, one of which just got broody and is setting on 10-12 eggs.

Then there's the 7 dogs and 5-6 barn cats. :)

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

One cow
    some hens
    a couple turkey peeps
    3 rabbits
    barn cats

7. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

two horses
    two donkeys
    numerous chickens
    one goose
    two cats
    four dogs
    a very large and grumpy Sulcata Tortoise (not really livestock, I know)

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

But it does make one cool picture! :D

9. power

power ExCommunicated

15-20 chickens,
    10 ducks,
    few rabbits,
    quail,
    parakeets,
    cockatiels,
    finches,
    2 iguanas,
    and my watch lizard.

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

5 chickens
    1 goat
    1 dog
    1 cat
    3,000,000 mosquitos...

I've loved reading everyone's lists! This is a great thread!

11. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Well shoot forgot the dog and cats....

1 dog
    2 cats
    3,000,001 mosquitos......:rolleyes::D

I love the "skeeters".....:gaah:

Jimmy