So if the S hasnt hit the fan ny October 3rd

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by biobacon, Sep 4, 2013.

1. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

So if the S hasnt hit the fan ny October 3rd Im done. For real. All I ever wanted to do was garden and have a couple chicks. That's how all this started. I never wanted to be so gun related and as I look at my gun safe I think of all the stuff I could have done instead. Didn't go to Gettysburg this year as I had been planning for 5 years because I had ammo to pay for. Its Spetember and I have yet to take my son on his annual train trip. Im not cutting down any one and maybe Im a big damn *** but that's how I really am. Im not one of you guys no mater how much I wanted to pretend I am. Im still gona be around to talk about gardening and canning and maybe even the chicks but Im about done with talk of insurrection and riots and shooting bad guys. Maybe this war will be the end for us all and I'll be happy I have done what I have done for the couple extra weeks my family will survive. Im not asking for ether the don't go post or the good ridens ones ether because like I said Im still going to be around Im just not getting back to the urban homesteading idea that brought me here in the first place.

2. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

You gotta have a life and lifestyle worth preserving. You don't prepare to survive. That's only breaking even. You prepare so your family can thrive. Think long and hard about your priorities--and Balance is the key. Start planning that annual trip.

3. urbanprepping

urbanprepping Well-Known Member

I run my own preparedness consulting company.

And my advice to newbies is this. Don't get caught up in all doom and gloom. Get what you need to stay alive for a few weeks. And learn some skills. Fire starting hunting/fishing. Learn to forage. And only a few guns. To protect yourself and learn how to use them.

Our community is at times way over the top. True anything can happen. But we need to live our lives. As long as you have the essentials. You will be fine.

Spend that money on important things, your family enjoy it. What will, will be.

Please don't get caught up in all this hyper prepper stuff.
    Keep a eye on the news and live your life as you should. These over the top preppers who have 30 guns and million rounds of ammo are good people but - you can only shoot one rifle sat time so there is no need for 20 rifles and 20 pistols

Good luck to ya. You are wiser than most so called preppers/survivalist out there.

UP

4. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Several thoughts:

Balance & Moderation: I prep, but I don't sacrifice my current lifestyle. My preps are like savings (which I can access any time) or like insurance payments (which are like throwing money away if bad things never happen, but help if a bad thing does happen). Neither my savings nor my insurance prevent me from living a reasonable lifestyle.

Deadlines & Predictions: There are no deadlines. No one knows when bad things will happen--it is just not that easy. Predictions of doom are constantly proven wrong. If someone predicts a bad event successfully, it is probably because they have been predicting it for 20 years, and it was just time for that bad thing to happen.

Guns: Guns are just one part of one component of prepping (e.g., for hunting, for personal security). Thus, guns are not a focus of mine; they are just one tool of many. I'm more worried about feeding the little mouths in my family if things go bad due to circumstances beyond my control. Bullets won't do that. Bullets may be one necessary tool of many necessary tools, but they are not the be all and the end all.

5. FatTire

FatTire Member

There is a broad spectrum of 'prepper' types, motivated by various things. We each of us have to decide our own level of comfort. For some that means having a decade of stored food and water, a vast arsenal, ect. For others it means a week of food and water, a shotgun, and a BOB. For me personally, I love the lifestyle. Ill likely never have 20 guns, but I do love to have a few, and lots of ammo for them, mostly because i really enjoy shooting. I have a BOB because i enjoy hiking. I want an off grid homestead because I find that level of self sufficiency very attractive, and I enjoy hard work.

Theres nothing wrong at all with being less than fanatical. Find the balance that works for you, it doesnt have to work for anyone else.

Out of curiosity, why October 3?

6. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

Now I am betting things will go to hell in a handbasket sometime after October 3rd. Perhaps the 4th. Maybe the 5th.

To expand on what Tacitus said; balance, moderation and prioritization. The only money I put into prepping and my avid love of guns & shooting sports is money I make from side jobs and a portion of my overtime. My salary and over 50% of my overtime goes to living expenses and lifestyle. If I want something and don't have enough money, I go find a way to make more money and save up until I do.

I will also add that there is no point in having regrets. We make choices and we live with them. If you decided that the choices you made were not for you, then make new choices. But what's done is done.

7. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

Well Tacitus your thinking and mine are on the same page. All I am truly concerned with us the increased cost of everything. Im interested in what I can do today to help keep cost down tomorrow but even at my $16 for a can or corn life will go on. We will just eat less corn I suppose. So I will continue with my gardening and continue to find ways to prepare for the inflation that is already here. Im just done with the Guns are the solution to everything way of thinking. I still like to shoot and will continue to shoot and hunt. I just refuse to be one of those guys waiting in line at 6am for a 50 round box of .22 when I already have 100,000 rounds.

8. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

Well said. I agree. I did come of sounding a but regretful and maybe I am a bit but this is more of a decision based on what I should be doing instead of what I am doing. Im not saying I don't like having my guns, because I do. Im just not going to keep up with my friends because they all have better guns then me. Im more interested in gardening and animals then shooting, so now that I have a what I believe to be a decent amount of inventory and skill Im going to free up some mental time with something else. Maybe I will go once a month instead of twice a month to the range. That kind of thing.

9. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

It sounds to me, bio, that you have just learned a valuable lesson, That the most important things are a sound body, mind and a calm spirit and of course family as number one. And as far as being one of us, you have always been a respected and valued part of this community and you will continue as such. Each and every one of us prepares as he or she sees fit, someone here may be able to afford all the "goodies" without sacrifice, I cannot and neither can most of us. If you must sacrifice your family for your preps, then what good are your preps? You are unbalanced. Seems to me that you have regained some balance, but never doubt your value and the respect that you have in this community.

10. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

Remember, we love you and will miss your wit but you don't have to be a gun-toting-camo-wearing-squirrel-eating-living-in-a-shack-in-the-woods-survivalist to be a prepper. :D Though it helps...

I can relate to your feelings right now. I normally start planning the holidays and Roo's birthday 4-6 months in advance. I got so involved with prepping and the like I just started on Roo's birthday this month... Her birthday is the end of October! I have lots of work to catch up on...

11. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

My gun collection and ammo stockpile is large and diverse. I rarely invite anyone into my man cave to lay eyes on it, but there have been a few guests allowed into the inner sanctum who walked away thoroughly impressed. Yet I have at least 3 friends whose collections make mine like paltry. One of whom could open a firearms museum and another who has more full auto Class III guns that your average SWAT team. I don't try and keep up with them because doing so would be futile. I thank God for the blessings he has bestowed on me and drive forward with my life.

12. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

Hey like I said Im not going anywhere. And Im going squirrel hunting in a couple weeks LOLIm just not going to feel like its the end of the world :)2thumb:) if I don't bring any home.

13. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Is there a thread on this forum about this October 3rd thing? This is the second time I've seen it mentioned, and I'm curious what people are worried about. (As I say above, I don't believe absolute deadlines/predictions like that. I'm just curious.)

14. Grimm

I know you aren't leaving but if you lessen your time here you will be missed.

Speaking of squirrel... I wonder if anyone has tried to can it... :scratch

15. brightstar

brightstar Well-Known Member

My father in law cans squirrel! I personally am not a fan but he grew up way out in the country and his mom preserved everything.

16. Tweto

Tweto I love the smell of Argon in the morning

Prepping is an interesting thing. You can prepare for SHTF, you can prepare for TEOTWAWKI, you can prepare for a gas shortage, you can prepare for food shortage, but you can also prepare in-case nothing happens.

I do all of these things. I have not stopped living my life.

You will never find me on a firearms forum (don't care enough). Firearms are just tools in the tool box.

Biobacon, you are not alone. I do gardening, mechanical work, plumbing, electrical, etc. allot more then anything I do with prepping for SHTF.

I love this forum because of the things that I learn here. If I learn something new and it makes sense then I adapt it to my plans or if it means buying something then I do.

17. Grimm

I'd love to hear how he does it.

There are a lot of the buggers here and I have been debating picking a few off with my pellet gun. I might have to set up a feeding station and pick them off from the balcony. The buggers can see me when I am on the deck.

18. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

All of my preps are dual purpose (shtf or nothing happens). I stock food I normally eat I just rotate through a larger stock. Almost all of my weapons are for hunting except 2 I consider self defense (and are also quite fun at the range which is their main purpose). I have an older truck because its useful and easy to fix on a budget. My bug out motorcycle is also a daily driver and good enough off road to save me gas money for my backwoods fishing trips. My camping gear is vacation, hunting, fishing, and pleasure hiking gear. You get the point. As soon as I graduate and get out of the city I'll be doing what you're doing with chicks and gardening because I like that sort of thing. Well, I don't like chickens but I like their young fried in butter. Even if I expected nothing to happen I would live the way I live out of choice. The best benefit of prepping is that gathering the skills that would be necessary in a shtf situation is just a heck of a lot of fun for a guy like me. Glad you're finding some balance in all this. Its easy to go overboard and get wrapped up.

19. brightstar

brightstar Well-Known Member

Grimm-he said he does it just like chicken. Cook 2/3 way thru to debone the meat. Shred meat and pack into jars. Fill with chick broth. Process time same as chick. It tastes like turkey dark meat when done (I'm a white meat girl lol).

20. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

Hey CBL I like chicks to but at my age the young ones tend to turn me inside out so I stay away. LMAO