So Cal earthquake

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by bunkerbob, Apr 4, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Just had a shaker, 6.9 about 100 miles south of us in Mexico. Felt a 30-40 sec shaker here, the about a minute later a quick thump. Not that bad here, just kinda like a vibrator bed.:dunno:
    5:00 pm just upraded to a 7.2.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Good that you are still online - any damages known in your area?

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

WOW! I did a complete list of earthquakes for that area ...:eek: ... small 2.4 up to a 7.2 all today. Hang on to your hat!

Glad you are alright.

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

See! Like I said a couple months back, I have a problem with that whole ground shaking, walls rattling and jars crashing to the ground thing. :rolleyes:

Good to know you came through it safe and sound. :)

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Glad to see you're ok Bob. As for me, I'll take the eroding, dead steel mills any day before I have to worry about the ground shaking my house off its foundations.

7. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Hell ol Bob ain't got me fooled a bit, he's just waiting for the big one that will turn his place into beach front property! then he can sell out for mega bucks and head someplace where the ground don't bounce..... Oh and ..Uh Bob, wanna tell us about the vibrating bed thing? inquiring minds wanna know..:D

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

:gaah:hey Bob:wave:, :gaah:Hey Bob:wave: Do you have one of those earth qauake foundations under your bunker like on the history channel? You know those big rail road springs? I'm with Jason, I like having to put up with rusty old steel mills. I do hope you get ocean front property though, real soon, I'm sure you could use the money to build the ultimate bunker.I just hope it doesn't happen until I leave San Francisco this Friday.

9. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

good to hear you're ok, though your comment makes me wonder, how many times have you slept on a vibrator bed? :p

We get shakers pretty often here in AK, I can remember as a kid every safety lesson came with "make sure anything that can fall is bolted to the wall!" And also waking up on the top bunk as the bed swayed almost to tipping over!

Just wait till you get the big one, and then cali can drift up the pacific and say "hi" to us northerners :D

10. bunkerbob

Thanks for the replies, we just take it in stride anymore, no damage around here, and of course the neighbors showed up to see if we even felt anything in the house. The house as most of you know is bomb proof, will take up to a rictor 10 magnitude earthquake. We have all cupboard doors that contain breakables with restraints, even my collection of Aladdin lamps are secured with small double row of cables running in front preventing them from falling off the shelf. My food storage in the garage has heavy bungee cords restraining them and the heavy metal shelving is bolted directly into the concrete walls. The battery bank is also bolted into the concrete. Matter of fact all of the shelving in the garage is secured this way.
    The workshops front 6x6 vertical beams are additionally tied into a 3/8 hardened chain embedded in the concrete footing via a 3/8" cable running at an angle to the top along with a 4" nail strap. Hopefully eliminating any side to side movement.
    Haven't been down in the 'pit' yet to inspect for damage, but would suspect there shouldn't be any.

11. UncleJoe

Good to hear from you. :D I was starting to wonder. You're usually online before I leave and it was getting late. Didn't know if services were disrupted. What type of internet service do you use?

12. bunkerbob

I'm off-grid as you know and use a wireless broadband card. Great service and speed 1.59Mbps download speed. I don't think with all of the preps Calif requires that much would be disrupted here, short of a EMP, nuc blast or a 2012 movie disaster scenario.

Just check the 'pit' no damage!!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  13. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Glad to here you are doing well after the quake.

14. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I was reading my Wii-news last night and it said that there were two dead directly related to the earthquake that you had and one dead because he panic'd and ran into the middle of the street and was hit by a moving vehicle.

They were saying that the fault that was moving is one that hadn't shifted in well over a hundred-years, so the scientists themselves were surprised by it, but, they were able to record many mini-quakes based off that original massive one.

15. questor

questor Well-Known Member

Big Earthquake Could Devastate U.S. Midwest, Experts Warn

you may want to look into the New Madrid Fault

16. UncleJoe

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just tack this on to Bob's

We had another little shaker here yesterday but this one I actually heard and then felt. It wasn't really a shake, it was more like a quick jolt. I heard a rumble which sounded like a blasting project off in the distance somewhere. A second later it felt like the whole house was picked up and dropped. At the time I didn't know what had happened. Later in the day I had a customer ask if felt "the earthquake down your way?" Turns out we are about 4 miles from the epicenter.

Yes Bob, I know. Wah, Wah, Wah. What's the big deal? :nuts:

Earthquake Rattles York, Cumberland Counties|abc27 News

17. bunkerbob

OK here it goes, wah, wah, now that's out of the way, did you get any damage. Is your home built to take the shakers, if not are you going to add some bracing, out here we have earthquake straps or clips by Simpson Hard Ties, they nail on between rafters and top plates. And yes they are nailed, here it is a building code, no screws even though you would think they are stronger, screws have a tendency to snap off rather that bend like nails.

18. TimB

TimB Member

I remember the 4.9 we had back in '03. I'm a light sleeper and a noise woke me up just before 5 a.m. I laid there a minute listening and heard another noise that sounded like a train going by (there's a track about 3/4 mi. away). That got louder and then the windows started shaking, then dishes rattling in the kitchen, then the whole house shook. I didn't know WTH was going on. :confused: Couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and turned on the coffee and the news. All they could talk about was the earthquake centered about 110 mi. NW of Atlanta. :eek: We added earthquake insurance when we bought the house 20 yrs. ago since I had always heard Ga. was due for an earthquake. :( Fortunately we had no damage (although my driveway started breaking up shortly after :mad: ) but several folks say we're overdue for a big 'un. :ignore:

Tim

19. UncleJoe

No damage. Built to take it? :dunno: The house sits on a 3' wide stone foundation. The main beams are 12"x12" logs. The "studs" are 4x4 rough cut chestnut about 2' apart and run from the foundation right up to the attic in one piece. I've had a few walls opened up inside, in fact 1 still is, and there are 2 diagonal braces on each of the 4 walls. It appears to me that there is plenty of "sway" room although I'm no engineer. Back on May 14th when I lost most of the garden to the hail, it was accompanied by 60mph winds and I could feel the house swaying.
    I have no idea what earthquake straps are. :rolleyes:

20. bunkerbob

Here is the website for Simpson... Product Category: Seismic & Hurricane Ties