Snowbird Homesteading Desert and Forest... Guess our plans changed

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by HELIXX, May 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

After considerable research we have declined to moved to our midwest location after finding the midwest farm locations we looked at were plagued with chiggers and ticks.

Due to our age we can't spend months in harsh winters or brain frying desert heat.

So here's where were going.......

Mountain region of Central ID for 7 months and 5 months in Central AZ.

The only hassle of the two locations is transporting 4 horses and poultry between the two locations. We will just have to deal with it.

For the Desert Home we plan on cistern-ing the water off the flat roof in 4 10X10 http://loomistank.com/plastic-water-tanks.shtml tanks for vegetables and fruit trees irrigation. Looks like 14 inches of rain fall in this area give or take a few. We will filter the water the best we can and everything will get a drink via gravity feed irrigation tubing hooked up to a timer.
    Kabota Generator to charge batteries and run the well pump, LED lighting.

The ID Ranch gets enough rainfall to grow most what we would need.
    Kabota Generator to charge batteries and run the well pump, LED lighting.

2. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

Two questions...1) why do you have to filter it if it is just for the plants and trees? 2) are you going to keep the tank in the shade?

I am looking at the same kind of system for my house, but I don't know how to keep the water cool enough. The system I have rigged right now gets the water very hot during our 110 degree days here.

3. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

Filter? Well just as a precaution. Not sure what the composition of flat roofs are. Besides, I plan on several horses to water too.
    Shade and water capacity is important here. Although as stated I don't plan to be in the desert during the hot months.

4. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply KM :beercheer:

5. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

I have had one of the black ones now for almost 15 years and never a problem. Also, with black, no alge grows as their is no sunlight.

6. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

7. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Helixx,

With 14" of rain, how much water will you be able to collect? Not sure what your roof sizes are but that doesn't sound like a lot of water, especially if you have 4 horses to water.

8. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

The home is a flat roof 1 story with a 5000 sq ft foot print. It has a well.

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

14/12=1.167
    1.167x5000=5835 ft^3
    5835x7.5=43762.5 gallons

that's about 44k gallons per annum not taking into account evaporation :eek:

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

You left your units off, Blob...Took me a minute to translate your math.

14 inches/12 months =1.167 inches of rain per month = 0.1 feet of rain per month

0.1 feet of rain per month x5000 sq. ft. house roof = 500 ft^3 of water per month

500 ft^3 of water x7.5 (there are 7.5 gallons in 1 ft^3 of water)=3750 gallons per month

3750 gallons per month x 12 months =45000 gallons per year.

Both of our work involves some rounding, which will account for the relatively slight differences in our final answer. In short:

I concur with Blob's mathematics and his reasoning, and believe us to both have come up with a reasonable expectation for the amount of rain water that will be collected.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  11. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

That should be enough for the animals and land. I'm assuming the well is in play for human use.

12. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

Big thanks for all the math guys. :D

13. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

14. beanpicker

beanpicker Well-Known Member

weeeeem all that math just is over my head, I could tell you how much water I had in a 5 gallon bucket if it rained till it filled it full , an the dogs didn't drink out of it but then again maybe I would have to figure in if it eveoprates before I get out to mesure it..Im so Thank full some are so smart to take up slack for us who are lacking ..

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Beanpicker-it's not that bad. I wrote out all the units (gallons, sq and cubic feet, etc) so that people could follow along the math.

I know it sure doesn't seem like it, but there are supposedly 7.5 gallons in one ft^3 of water. Just looking at it, to me a gallon milk jug looks almost like a cubic foot, but numbers don't lie.

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

we've had 8.1 inches of rainfall just this month (more than double average), which makes me wonder if the summer will drier & hotter than normal :dunno:

the two acre pond water level has risen about 2 feet due to all the runoff!

that's an estimated 1.3 million gallons of water added to the estimated 10.5 million gallons already there

the almanac predicted lower than avg precipitation for this area for every month except April (+1") and August (+1")

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:woohoo:

You guys with the math ... just ROCK!!!

18. beanpicker

beanpicker Well-Known Member

Jason, as my grand kids say,"Thats over your head grandma" ,, but I have a son like you he can figuer how many hairs are on a person head I bet,,, hee hee