Snakes and Other Dangers

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Meerkat, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Hubby was out do some minor work on the jon boat.I told him to watch out for snakes hideing under the shed in all that junk he stored over the years.

Told him to roll up his britches in his socks so a snake could'nt crawl up there and bit him 15 times before he could get it out.:eek:

Now he's affraid to work on boat,he is affraid of snakes.:) I respect them but don't have that kind of fear.Just the thought of one runnign up his legs was horrifing to him.

I grew up in Stone Mountain Ga with snakes and swam with them in our 10 acre lake.Snakes kill rats and other varmits too.He grew up at the beach in SCarolina.

What wildlife do you have to look out for where you live?

2. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Yeah, I can see how the thought scared him. I dont care for snakes. Here we have lots of black widows, brown recluse, and scorpions too. I got stung by a little scorpion but it only numbed half my hand and a ways up my arm... I was a little worried as I had never been stung by one before. :help:

3. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

Fire ants, copperheads, coral snakes, rattle snakes, black widows, brown recluse. I turned over a feed pan the other morning and saw the biggest black widow I had ever seen. My daughter got bitten by a black widow when she was 5 and got very sick. I always shake out my shoes for scorpions. When I lived in Virginia, we had mountain lions.

4. Meerkat

Brown recluse is a bad spider!:eek:They can do a lot of damage to you.I've already had 2 run across my legs this week.Slept with the lights on.Scorpions scare me more than spiders though.One crawled on my foot when I was a kid and stung the fire out of me.We have them here too but not nearly as big as the ones in Stone Mountain were.One stung me on the finger here a few years ago,it was numb for a few hours.

Some people have to deal with grizzlys ,that would be terrible for me.We have black bears here and a few panthers but no really dangerous large animals.

5. Meerkat

FIRE ANTS! I can't stand them.They will all get on you without you knowing it, then one must signal the others to all bite you at once!:confused:.

6. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

Fire ants top my list on immediate threat, as they are relentless. I have found several baby snakes of late, and while I couldn't ID them, I am close enough to water to have to worry about copperheads and water moccasins. The next most dangerous critters in my AO are of the human variety.

7. power

power ExCommunicated

I don't worry much about animals, insects, or much else. Most will not bother you if you don't bother them. Most are easily avoided. Most do more good then they do bad. And most are not able to do much permament damage.
    Now people are a completely different thing.

8. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

black bears have over run the area, they always seem to go the other way, but it's just a matter of time til someone accidently gets between them and their cubs or their food.Weekends are the worst, people up in the village have to put their garbage out for monday morn pick up and it's like a smorgus board for them, some of those idiots complain if a dog in loose with no tags, but they think the bears are cute, but one day, they won't be so cute,they'll find out the difference between a cute black bear and an old yellow lab.

9. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Eastern Diamondback, Water Moccasin, Copperhead snakes.

Fire Ants, Cow Ants, Black Widows, Brown Recluse.

You have to pay attention for sure.

Jimmy

10. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Yes, the creepy crawlys arent so bad... its those damn vermen from down the road that you have to watch out for. Ive never had any fire ants take my stereo! Most critters I find in the house are trying to get out (poor things) and not taking my stuff with them. You have to be watchful of critters but they are much safer than the human variety for sure. Big ups!

11. power

power ExCommunicated

People and domesticated animals are more danger than any wild animal.

12. TimB

TimB Member

Other than spiders (Black Widows and Brown Recluse) the only other problem I have is Copperheads. :eek: For some reason, I seem to have an ample supply in my yard. But then again, we have never had a rat or mouse problem either. :2thumb:
    Meerkat, I can almost throw a rock and hit Stone Mountain from my house. :wave: Oh, and tell hubby to make a lot of racket when he's working in the yard or going into the shed. Supposedly, snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them and if given advance warning, they will leave. Spiders on the other hand...:gaah:

Tim

13. BillM

BillM BillM

Good to

Copper heads are also good to eat .

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

We have a couple types of rattle snakes (timber rattlers are the nastiest), black widows, brown recluse, cougar, black bear and one of the smallest cats with the biggest attitude, the bob cat, and the porcupine can sure make a mess of the family dog and lastly the teenager with the import car sporting the fart pipe doing 50 mph through the neighborhood.......

15. Meerkat

Hi :wave:,yes I loved growing up there in Stone Mtn.We use to watch them work on the carving when I was a kid.

And there were lots of snakes of all kinds .My mother was bitten by a rattler ,almost lost her leg from infection.

I climbed that mountain many times.Last time I visited I got lost it has changed so much,too many multi-laned highways now.Redan Rd. is nothing like it was.

Over a half century since I ran the woods of Dekalb Cty.

16. Necred

Necred Well-Known Member

Snakes

Yesterday riding down Ga26 with my window about 2 in down, something caught my eye & startled me, it was a 30" non posionous coachwhip trying to get in. I snapped a pic & pulled over, he crawled back under the hood. When i got to ww i attempted to pull him from my fender well, i failed. Havent seen him since, dont know if he got out in parking lot, at my daughters or back at house. I hope he cant get inside, im sure he could freak us out.

17. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I don't mind snakes, or gators either - this IS Florida after all.

But the BIG ground spiders top my list of things I don't like or tolerate! So far, I have killed four in the house. They don't look like Brown Recluse - bigger and the leg spread is different - they match the looks of the 'Huntsman' type better. Still, the "only good spider is a dead spider!" rule applies here. My little .22 revolver with primer-only Colibri loads makes short work of them. ;)
    The holes in the sheetrock are barely noticible and easily fixed........ :2thumb:

18. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Yesterday rescued a baby-duckling that walked right up to me in my back yard. It crossed a farm-highway from a pond about a half-a-mile north of my house ...

A couple days ago had a doe (white-tail) on the side of the highway munching on grasses while I rode my motorbike by ...

I regularly meet up with bears - brown, black and grizzly - try not to make them guys unhappy. Coyotes in the backyard chasing mice and gophers is common ...

19. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

I'll challenge that statement. I always have a firearm, even going to the outhouse.

20. power

power ExCommunicated

Do you know of any animal that kills as many people as other people or domesticated animals?