smoothies and liposomes

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by Immolatus, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

What I did yesterday...

ForumRunner_20130323_111837.jpg
    Yesterday me and my buddy (whos somewhat of a health nut) made a ton of smoothies and liposomal vitamins. We went to the local Dutch market and got $30 worth of veggies and fruit. I'm more partial to the veggies myself, with the fruit thrown in for taste.
    My basic ingredients: Spinach, celery, carrots, beets, bananas, ginger, cinnamon, honey, olive oil and coconut oil (the oils I eat on a regular basis anyway). Now I've taken to adding cauliflower and broccoli in small amounts cause they are pretty strong, and they do funny things to the texture, the cflower is 'gritty', and broccoli makes it very 'green' tasting. I also add various powdered supplements when I have them, moringa and pine pollen right now, but he brought over all kinds of various powdered supplements, tumeric, luca, apricot, and a whole bunch of other things- all purportedly very good for you.
    I'll make a weeks worth, and 'drink' (sometimes I dont add enough liquid and theyre kinda thick!) them during the day at work. One jar is really a meal, but depending on whats in them it can actually fill you up.
    Now the liposomes. He has an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner that breaks up substances so they bind to the vitamins (the yellow and white jars) making them more bioavailable. Various studies/reports have some conficting information on this, but Vitamin C therapy is being used to treat cancer in some places, and is approved by the FDA.
    Yesterday we made vitamin C, CoQ10 and glutathione.
    Theres a wealth of info on the net about these, some good and some neutral. Anyone have experience with these? The theory is that you absorb the nutrients better when they are encapsulated, bypassing the digestive system which breaks them down and why your pee is so bright yellow when you take vitamins because you arent absorbing them.

Just thought I'd share!
    We turned the kitchen into a complete disaster area for the day, but my girl threw her back out the other day so didnt have to see it all in its full glory until I started cleaning up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

Never heard of the liposomes. Will check that out.

I have at least 1 smoothie a day and it usually is 2 milkshake glass fulls. Try frozen bananas, organic cocoa and almond milk. Yummy like a choc banana milkshake. Another good one is apple juice and frozen peaches. It i usually just make a whatever concoction that I pull out of the freezer, elderberries, blackberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, banana andsomehting liquid to mix all these frozen fruits up. When you make your green smoothies, do you juice them or just toss it all in a blender? Ginger, carrots, beets and half an apple is delicious.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm hooked on Blackberry & lime cordial ...

(and) the lemon balm & honey puree. ;)

And the ... well you get the picture.

lol

4. Immolatus

Missy, I have one of these that I borrowed from my sis. Its pricey, but they have sales at Costco every once in a while for $350. I just throw everything in it and away it goes. Add about 10 oz water/juice and it liquifies everything. The greener it is the thicker it is, which isnt a problem for me, you can always water it down with juice later. I'd like to freeze them but I'm not sure how that would turn out.
    I totally dig the all fruit smoothies, but for me the point is to eat the things I wouldnt normally eat like the cflower and more broccoli, at least til I get my own, which I hope works out better than it did last year which is to say not at all. The year before I had lots of it (I bought plants from a local gardner), but last year I started from seed and they never grew big enough to even recognize as a broccoli plant. Grrr.

5. lilmissy0740

Try kale in your fruit smoothies.
    My blender is a vita mix, love it. It seems to be like yours. You can make soup in it and everything. In the summer I made veggie ones with carrots, but it is way to pulpy for me. Fruit I like thick, veggie ones, I like them watery.

Andi, if I ever have one of those you will be picking me up off the floor :p

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

It's not bad ... the Blackberry & lime cordial is just blackberries, lime juice and a little sugar. (simmer the berries, add juice, mash & strain then heat till sugar is dissolved.) :)

7. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I've been wanting a vita mix. :(

8. Toffee

Toffee Member

I was trying to decide if I wanted one and so I borrowed one from a family member. OHMYGOSH! It is so loud. It is basically a jet engine with a container over the blade. That doesn't make it a bad thing, it just means that you can't use it while everyone else is in bed. Mine also doesn't like to seal completely and I have a hard time figuring out how to put it on low power, but on the plus side it will grind anything, so that is a definite plus and to me at least, outweighs all of the negatives.

9. DJgang

Yeah, I think 'get the job done' would be nice especially when blending.

Immolatus: is your's loud?

10. Toffee

Toffee Member

I'd love to hear more suggestions on smoothies from everyone. I'm just getting into veggie-based smoothies.

11. lilmissy0740

My vita mix is only loud when I grind flour. I use to take it outside and grind enough flour for a long time and then f Reese the flour to last.
    I love mine. Makes terrific soup and no pot needed. It whips so fast it heats it up on its own. I also make out own mayo in it.

From some of the lectures I have taken they say never to mix your fruit and veggies together. Your body can't break it down properly. Not sure if that is true it I try not to mix them. You can mix fruit and leafy veggies ( kale, lettuce, spinach, etc) and veggies can only be mixed in with apples.

12. DJgang

13. DJgang

I just bought a Vitamix at Costco. :eek:

Guy at customer service told me this...

When Vitamix or Blendtec come and do demos, and if you like the one they are offering better, just bring the one you are buying now back in and we will give you your money back and you can get the other one, up to a year.

Something they've got going with vitamix I think...

I was looking at blendtecs and that digital preset stuff looks good and easy but I was thinking too much could go wrong there. This vitamix appears more "manually" operated.

14. lilmissy0740

You will love it, DJgang. If you come up with any good recipes, let us know and definitely try to make peanut butter.

15. DJgang

Gonna make tomato alfredo sauce tonight for hubby to justify the buy :p

Oh and I just cleaned it, the motor is not that loud. I was expecting jet force sounds.

16. Toffee

Toffee Member

Maybe mine is loud because it is so old. We have gotten a lot of our appliances second hand or refurbished. Our food processor is a tiny 1 cup from the early 70's, but it still works fantastically.

17. Immolatus

I wouldnt call it exactly quiet, but it aint so noisy that I would call it overly loud. Then again, I am a long time fan of loud and obnoxious punk/metal, so my ears might be a little more broken in than others.

I decided I wont be using cflower or broccoli anymore, it makes them too heavy, and frankly kinda nasty. I'll prolly add more fruit and my standard greens, since I like spinach and celery anyway.

18. DJgang

I do like broccoli. I'm doing the green thing tomorrow and see what happens. Got spinach, broccoli and carrots for my veggies. Got all kinds of fruits... So I'll be playing around tomorrow with this thing.

I made the sauce, my husband said ' wow it's fresh !!!' We are use to canning so much, this was a pleasent surprise for him. I'll try to figure out a good v8 type of drink for him and his bloody Mary's. :)

19. Immolatus

My advice is no broccoli.

This one its banana, apple, coconut oil, honey, moringa, pine pollen, celery, spinach, ginger, beet,. Carrot, blueberries and blackberries and cabbage.

ForumRunner_20130408_103340.jpg

20. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Justified buying a Nutribullet by saying it'll be easier for the kids to customize their own smoothies & shakes, but truth is I just wanted one, so into the cart it went. Experimenting with lots of leafy green/fruit combos.
    Spinach, mango, pear, apple with some ice and water.
    Baby lettuce mix, spinach, pineapple, banana, flax seeds, ice and water.
    I'll try to remember to post other good combos as we try them.