Smoldering with anger and shame

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by horseman09, Jan 8, 2011.

1. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

UK Telegraph reports: "China Builds World's Longest Bridge", and they did it in just four years.

Why am I angry and ashamed?

Because the ChiComs can build the world's longest bridge -- over water --in only 4 years and we Americans can't even build a freakin' ten foot fence along our southern border in TEN YEARS!

We have to rely on the Russians to take our astronauts to the International Space Station, we have to import much of our energy from other countries and we have to kiss the UN's a$$ or for nearly everything we do.

China builds world's longest bridge - Telegraph

Yes, Americans. We should be deeply and profoundly ashamed. Every damned one of us! :mad::mad::mad:

:rantoff:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

If it's built like their dams, mines, and screwdrivers, I wouldn't get too excited about it.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:scratch uuuuhm... doesn't 3 gorges produce >4x(19.5gW) the power of Hoover Dam (2gW) and Niagara Falls (2.3gW) combined? (rhetorical)

we have this wholly undeserved hubris in the US about Made In The USA products... WHAT products?!!?!? :gaah: every time I look for purely American-made stuff, it is either highly specialized to a degree I'm uninterested in, prohibitively expensive, or both

horseman is right, as a nation (not as individuals) we should be ashamed, but as a culture we've been indoctrinated for 50 years that nothing is our fault

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

we Americans can't even build a freakin' ten foot fence along our southern border in TEN YEARS!

~~~the CIA, the second one, doesn't want a fence...how would they get 500,000,000(million) in drugs to the U.S.???:ignore:

I know about the airports in Florida...but the border is probably the best way.:surrender:

5. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Fair enough. We're not doing much on a grand scale these days, but it's not like we can afford to. Don't lose sight that China's great 'accomplishments' come at the expense of human rights. They build cheap -- melamine in milk and pet food, lead in paint, diethylene glycol in toothpaste, -- and could care less about the consequences (especially who dies in the process). I'm not a fan.

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I will agree with those points you've raised BizzyB

but as a friend of mine who works at NASA says, "If we had to replicate the Apollo Missions, today, we couldn't do it"

I blame lawyers (and politicians, but that's because so many of them are lawyers)

7. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Certainly a valid point about human rights in Red China. But America isn't hampered because of any reasonable human rights issues. It is hampered by (often) strangulating unions, hugely strangulating paperpushing federal requirements, unfair federal trade laws and rediculous, counterproductive green-nazi legislation.

8. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Think that about sums it up.
    My current classica example of union mentality:
    Just recently in East St Louis, the police union voted down a pay raise because it wasn't enough, subsequently the city had to lay off several of their "fellow" officers. Realizing the city is in or on verge of bankruptcy.

My mother was a shop steward, my father was a union man, I worked in a unior for several years also. However, the unions no longer represent the members. Sorry getting off topic, :ignore:

9. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

We dont need a fence. We need 5 of these Patrolling and a lot of signs saying "you cross we shoot" in spanish.

10. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Good idea Lex but there is a big "BUT" in the mix.. they don't have any to secure the border because they are using them to watch.....US!... you have a good head on your shoulders kid keep thinking you give me hope that all American kids aren't glued to their ipods and video games...

11. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Thank you Hozay.
    Another thing that bothers me is the sighns on the interstate that says unmanned drones/ airplanes are patrolling the area for speeders. Could they really not think of anything better they could use those for besides speeders.:gaah:

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

A couple years back, I got flamed on another site for suggesting the Border Fence should have a tower every 1000 yards with an M82 Barrett and sniper team, backed up by roving patrols and gunships.

Heck with it, I still favor the idea....... We didn't have MS13 and the Mexican Army killing our people THIS side of the border back then! :mad:

It's becoming nearly impossible to find "Made in America" these days. Cheap Chinese crap and "Hecho en Mexico" garbage. If we did get into a true knock-down drag-out World War - we would NOT have the supply system and weapons to fight........
    Before WWII, we were nearly unarmed, BUT we had manufacturing capability! Now we lack that.
    Much of our military equipment is made - elsewhere........