Smoked meats?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mdprepper, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I've been trying to find out how long smoked meat would be good without refrigeration. Can anyone tell me?

I have requested a smoker for Christmas and want to try smoking some meats (to eat now) and was thinking of trying to make my own "country ham" for storage. How long will it last?

Can you make your own ham using "store bought" fresh ham? I do not have my own pigs, but would like to practice this skill before it is needed.

I found lots of 'how to's' and recipes on-line and in my books, anyone have a tried and true recipe they recommend?

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Takes bout a year ta make a country ham. Lots a work an salt, but a mighty fine ham. I'll post a bit more later, off ta work.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I've made great "Vam" from the small venison roasts I get-I do use a brining salt that has the potassium nitrite and salt and brown sugar and I inject some right into the center of the roast to make sure that it is all the ways thru and then after a few days I take it out and put more salt and good fresh cracked pepper on the outside and let it dry in the fridge without a cover to form a nice "hard" pellical for the smoke to adhere to and then I smoke it for a few hours or until the inside is to about 160° F to 180° F We use it as is for sandwich meat and it is a mix between a good ham and a good pastrami.
    I have not tried the salting and dry- cold smoking to make a long lasting Vam yet.
    But a good book to borrow from the library is "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. By Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn "
    One of the best books I have ever read about making any kind of cured meats. I used their bacon recipe and technique and was just ruined for store bought bacon forever--I even made bacon with the pork shoulder and it turns out like the best meaty bacon you have ever had--lucky for me I have a whole branch of non pesticide apple wood from my old yacky apple tree that fell off and it is great for smoking pork or anything so far.