Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big S&W fan and own both a pile of their guns and a number of shares of the (formerly known as) S&W Holding Co. I like their products and I love their customer service.

Three times I have sent guns in for warranty work, all three of them were used guns (two were LEO trade ins) when they came into my possession and all three times I registered them via their website. All three times they sent me a prepaid mailing label, repaired the gun in short order and returned it to me in perfect working condition. Like all big companies sometimes they drop the ball and you need to make that extra phone call, but so far my experience with S&W customer service has been top notch.

A couple weeks back I purchased an M&P frame to turn into a Performance Center Ported M&P (thread about it in the gun section). The frame I purchased had the manual safety levers even though I prefer my striker fired guns sans manual safety. The nice thing about the M&P is if you don't like it, you can just take it off. But doing so leaves two small holes in the frame where the lever protrudes through. I sent one email to S&W and a week later a set of plastic "frame plugs" arrived at my door, no cost to me at all. They just keep earning my repeat business.

Reactions: madera

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
I've never had to use them or even call them,
But everybody says they're the best.

Ruger is also great customer service..

Jim

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would you explain, in court, why you removed the external safety? This is probably not something that you would have to face because of your position but us mortals need to consider making changes to our guns in case we need to use them in self defense. Things like removing external safeties, and buying barrels that have "smile wait for the flash" engraved on them are hard to explain when you have a prosecutor that tastes the blood in the water.

I happen to agree with you about external safeties, that is why I favor Glocks.
No court could discern between an M&P that came with a safety or one that came without unless I chose to disclose it. But when I became the head firearms instructor for my agency back in approx. 2001 I would get asked questions all the time about trigger jobs, extended magazines, removing mag disconnect safeties, using reloads for self defense, etc. It just so happened at the time the Attorney General of that state was a close family friend and was at my parent's home for a get together. I asked him about all of these liability concerns that come up and he was interested enough to assign someone to do the research. A couple months later he called me to tell me that they could not find a single instance in criminal or civil court where an otherwise justified shooting became unjustified because of any modification to a weapon or based on what ammo was used. They also could not find a single case where civil liability was applied because of those same factors. They even checked in neighboring states and still came up with nothing. Pretty sure as long as you don't live in California or New York or New Jersey such things are unlikely to matter, especially if you are smart enough not to voluntarily disclose such things. Evidence and lab techs rarely have the expertise to tell the difference between a stock trigger and an polished trigger and an Apex trigger.

Unless of course you inscribe "You're F*****" on the dust cover of your AR15 and then shoot a guy on his hands and knees. But then again I am not so sure the dust cover is where the liability came from in that encounter. The dust cover was all about getting the court of public opinion on the prosecutor's side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts