Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived in small towns (under 500 people) most of my life. My current home is rural and 3 miles from the nearest town with a population of 500. That being said, I built my home myself, paying as I went. I am a fan of animals including cats and dogs. I have 8 unfenced acres for them to roam on. My nearest neighbor moved next door on another 8 acres about 8 years ago and promptly forgot to control his dogs or to at least keep them home. I politely mentioned that I would appreciate that because they were coming to my house and leaving their mess along with chasing my cats and generally causing a problem. He told me to chase them home. I dropped the subject and went about my business. These dogs have since snapped at me in my shop when I walked up on them unexpectedly twice along with chasing my wife back into the house when she stepped out to shoo them away. She happens to be afraid of dogs which doesn't help. I have chased them away at least 40 times in the past 2 years. Last week I came home to find one of them trying to get at some 4 week old kittens I been taming to give away to other ruralites. He ran, but as I entered my home he came sneaking around my truck headed back to my shop. I grabbed the 22 mag rifle took a head shot at 40 yards. I failed to hit him in the right spot and he made a run straight away yelping as he went. I was sick as I thought I had a killing shot when I pulled the trigger. There was no blood as I went looking for him as he ran the length of my property. The neighbors immediately began to scream obscenities and make threats. I told them to call the Sheriff's office and they did so. They were told by the deputy that I was completely within my rights as they were in essence allowing an unlicensed dog to roam free. The next day, they approached me to say that I had indeed hit the dog and they had had to have it put down. And ask if I would promise not to shoot the other dog if it came over, until they could build a larger kennel. I had a hard time controlling my anger at their audacity. These are people who came from a much larger city to enjoy the country life. Please if you intend to move to our little area of the world, remember that we raise pumpkins not bumpkins and may not insist that you respect our rights before we assert them. This story was prompted this morning after I received a letter basically threatening me and mine over the incident if I did not make it right. I am making an effort to do so by target practicing more often so that I do not miss again.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
file a lawsuit first, then call the sheriff's dept & file trespass charges and insist that the 'vicious dog' statute be enforced, keep your cell-phone on you at all times to video/photograph the beasts

wow, the exact opposite of what happens when a former big-city dweller moves here... they usually have an adjustment period to mellow out some.

We have dogs that 'visit' all the neighbors (looking for treats), but what you've described is ridiculous... those are definitely NOT 'good neighbors'

I personally hate the overly litigious nature of our society, but some people just won't behave without it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Who sent the letter? If it was truly threatening, go have a talk with your sheriff about it. You should really start a paper trail for your own protection

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, and I must confess, you used a lot more patience that I would have in similar circumstances.

I live in a similar environment. Neighbors all have dogs. Some are limited by invisible fencing. Others roam, but usually stay on their own property, but behave themselves whenever they visit here. I have 12 chickens that I free-range and none of the dogs bother them. But... if they did, I would remediate the situation very quickly.

Maybe your "neighbors" will move.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well, while I suppose you were within your rights, I can't say that I blame the folks for coming to you and asking you not to shoot their dog. Should they control their own dogs? Absolutely. But I don't see anything wrong with asking you not to shoot the other dog. Now, the letter that they sent is another story. That sounds like they are trying to start a paper trail of their own, so that if something happens to the other dog, you can bet they will come after you.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
My Jack Russell was attacked by a Pit Bull, our dog was on a leash and the Pit was roaming. We saved her but I never walk without a concealed weapon and will not hesitate to put a marauding dog that comes at me in a threatening matter down. You can never judge the temperment of a dog that is not yours. I found the owners and took them to court, they paid the pet bills and in the process a court paper trail for further attacks.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Newborn Fatally Mauled by Family Dog Near Houston

Published September 04, 2011
| Associated Press

HOUSTON – A two-week-old Houston-area boy has died after being mauled by the family dog.

The incident happened Saturday night as the baby sat in an infant carrier on the floor of a room in the family house. Harris County sheriff's spokesman Thomas Gilliland says the dog, a Labrador mix, began sniffing the child and attacked him before the parents could pull it away.

The child was airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he died early Sunday. Animal control officers have taken custody of the dog for quarantine. :(

This is their own dog not the neighbors dog!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, while I suppose you were within your rights, I can't say that I blame the folks for coming to you and asking you not to shoot their dog. Should they control their own dogs? Absolutely. But I don't see anything wrong with asking you not to shoot the other dog. Now, the letter that they sent is another story. That sounds like they are trying to start a paper trail of their own, so that if something happens to the other dog, you can bet they will come after you.
It has been less than 6 months since I told them that "I would appreciate them keeping their dogs home because they were causing problems and had tried to bite me and chased my wife. Had I realized that they were only about 300 feet from where the dog was, I might not have shot at it. Usually they did not come to my house when someone was home. I did not get loud when talking about the situation as I thought they understood. Country living normally means doing more things for yourself and relying on the law less. Asking me not to protect me and mine is stupid. They have been here long enough to know how I feel about thieves, dogs running loose chasing livestock or wildlife, and a number of other pet peeves that I have. It took them only a few hours to fence their yard good enough to keep their dogs in and with material that they had ready access to. In this state I had every right to turn them in for the vicious dog act according to the deputy.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Bruce, I am very curious about the threats they made in this letter if you did not make it right.

Out here in the country, we have a problem with wild dogs. They have even killed 16 of my chickens. The wild dog population has increased significantly due to people dropping them off on these country roads. I make it a practice to neutralize these feral animals to reduce the threat to my chickens. Everyone of my nieghbors know that I will shot any dog that comes onto my property.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Out where we live (rural area but certainly not waaay out in the boonies) we do have a couple dogs that roam, looking for goodies. However, if a stray comes around that is obviously abandoned and looking for trouble, it's going to be shot by the first person it comes across. I know of some neighbors who shot strays and I've seen my dad take a few out when I was a kid. To me it's only right-if the dog is obviously lost, especially if it has tags, call the owner or the pound, but if it's a hungry, growling, snarling mess, kill it before it starts doing real damage.

·
1,734 Posts
Become a better shot! The wild animal is a threat to you and your family. It is no longer somebody's pet.

Shoot it and bury it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe it's time to make peace with this dude before things get way to far out of hand. He is in the wrong, he never should have let his dogs roam on your property.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Maybe it's time to make peace with this dude before things get way to far out of hand. He is in the wrong, he never should have let his dogs roam on your property.
People with this much nerve is not worth it.My mother use to say "people with too much nerve don't have good sense,best to avoid them."

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have lived in the woods for 18 years after moving from the city. It is common knowledge that any dog attacking anyone's animals will be shot,:dunno::dunno::dunno: that's just country living.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts