Small scale solar heat

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by FrostHeaves, Feb 25, 2011.

1. FrostHeaves

FrostHeaves Member

Anyone here ever hear of US Solar Heating or have any of their products ?

I live in a modest 1000 sqft home in New England. One side of the house has good exposure to the winter sun. I found a company which makes portable solar hot air heaters - the unit has an optional "stand alone" power unit (PVcell & fan) so there's no additional energy use. This sits inside a window. Not trying to heat the place just take the chill off a room or two.

Yeah, yeah I know I could probably build "something" close to what they offer but I really don't have time to re-invent their product.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

I went to the site in the link,the product appears to be an air warmer, that fits into the sunny window. That IMO is not an efficient way to capture solar heat,
    if you have rooms with southern window exposure the sun should warm them, dark colors absorb heat best and thermal mass stores it well, if you are trying to warm a different room with the heat "trap" it might work but the ducting etc cost will prolly out weigh the benifits.

3. alaskan4life

alaskan4life New Member

solar heat

northern tool.com has some solar air heaters,worth takeing a look.hope this helps

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Mother Earth News had a great plan for solar heat collectors and after looking at the one in the link-if you are trying to heat your home by using the power of the sun-using a plug in fan in the unit kinda defeats the purpose of solar.
    If I was gonna make it with a fan a small solar panel and a computer fan inserted into the panel would make it self sufficient. The unit only works when the sun is shining so having a solar powered fan only makes sense.

I am planning on making the Mother Earth News solar collector and then since it is detachable making a box to hold my dehydrator trays so that in the summer it can be used to dehydrate my garden produce on sunny days for free.

5. FrostHeaves

FrostHeaves Member

Soooooo, instead of using or fabricating an "Air Warmer" as you describe it I should use dark colored rooms and thermal mass ? What exactly do you consider to be an efficient way to capture solar heat ? I thought solar hot air would involve an "Air Warmer" of some sort. :confused:

Those are several thousand dollars per panel and are for whole house systems.
    Did you bother to read the thread title ? :confused:

The unit has a PV panel with a 12V fan. Guess you missed that.:p

Twice my budget and thats a PV system NOT hot air. No use to me. :rolleyes:

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

By allowing the sun to get inside the house and having darker colours to soak-up the heat, you will be passively warming the house from the sun. The mini solar-panel (your second link) with 12-volt computer-fan will move a couple CFM of air around but it will never be enough for a house of the size that you have - it would be better suited to a one or two room cabin that is of the "mini-home" size - under 400sq ft or placed in a sealed-off single 10x15' room (150 sq ft) to keep the air moving in there.

A good "passive" solar heater would be a green-house and then "pumping" that heat into the basement of your house through highly insulated air-ducts and circulating the cooler air from your basement into the green-house to warm-up again.

Anything can be done - just depends on how much you are willing to spend to get it done.

7. FrostHeaves

FrostHeaves Member

:gaah: I give up. Not even the admin reads the posts he replies to. :(

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My bad ... I saw 1,000 sq ft house and placing it into a window and hit the links that you had shared with us and read the info from the page to see what it was all about ... and totally missed the part about taking the chill out of a room-or-two. Sorry.

9. Tirediron

I guess you could always use google to get your answers, I don't respond well to sarcastic insult :gaah:

10. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

One post two replies and five insults...think that's a record here. With your square footage and budget, try candles.

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Guess you don't bother to read your links either!:nuts:

Snip "Power – the fan in the panel operates on an exterior 120V to 12V in-line adapter, plugged into the nearest standard electric outlet."End snip

If you don't want folks to post on your threads DON'T BOTHER TO POST A THREAD!
    [​IMG]

12. FrostHeaves

FrostHeaves Member

Must be the chemtrails causing a comprehension fail here.

Samp crap, different forum

13. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

If you've had a comprehension issues on other forums, then the problem might not be the people on the forums. I can't speak for all the other forums, but the people on this forum are not village idiots, most are remarkably bright.
    I can't imagine why someone would try to verbally hurt people that took the time to try to help you. Shame on you.
    Now, have you checked with Harbor Freight? They sometimes have solar panels on sale and they might be able to work you up something....but always wait on their sales.

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

There is a wealth of knowledge and a lot of well informed people here. Attacking these folks and the board as a whole does nothing to make it a better place. We run a very friendly, non-combative forum here. If it doesn't suit you, you may need to find one that does.

15. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

He does bring up a good question. I'm adding on a very small room to my house, (300sq.ft.) wonder if there is a heat option that would be off the grid for that room instead of a wood heater.

16. Tirediron

Passive solar heat (if you live in a sunny area ) is a great source of heat energy,there are several well written books with a great deal of information,quite a bit on the net too.
    Basicly if you can have a fairly large window that faces south you can capture the suns heat in some form of thermal mass , like rock, masonary,water or any other object with mass. one of the tricks to this is installing blinds so that the very window that heated your room in the day doesn't cool it at night. West facing windows cause unwanted heating in summer as the sun sets , the south facing windos won't get much direct sunshine because of the sun being overhead in summer. Visit permaculture forums: gardening, homesteading and permaculture there are lots of off the grid ideas here