Slow internet connection...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by bunkerbob, Dec 3, 2009.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I have been having connection and problems with my laptop running slow for the past 6 months or so. I use PC5750 broadband card from Verizon, one reason is that it has an external antenna and external antenna connection. I bought a zBoost zp signal booster and a flat panel exterior antenna configured for data reception because of my distance from the nearest cell tower. I called Verizon numerous times to complain about them limiting my bandwidth, even though I have subscribed to a unlimited bandwidth plan. They said there is nothing wrong and said I fall way short of my 5gig plan, and they can't understand why. I get full bars and a signal strength of usually -64dbm which by the way is around 2.5 gigs of speed or so.
    Verizon has blamed it on everything from the way I look to not bathing everyday and having bad karma.:(
    Well, I believe I corrected the problem, thus the reason for the post and for others who may have experienced the same. :scratch
    My laptop is about 5 years old with 500meg of ram, I just upped the ram to 1.25gigs, walla!! mystery solved, full speed and no connection problems, just flying along. And you know how important it is for this long winded old man to be connected.:D
    By the way I have been using 'Quick Links' lately, and I like it.:beercheer:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. pills

pills Well-Known Member

If you havent already, I recommend a couple of programs for malware/spyware removal.

My two faves are malwarebytes.org and spybot search and destroy.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I also run Regcure, Ad-Aware, and AVG free. Along with the never ending, using hugh amounts of ram, Windows Defender.:(

4. pills

pills Well-Known Member

i recommend ditching windows defender for Microsoft Security Essentials. After YOU feel comfortable with it, you might get rid of AVG as well.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My #1 recommendation to everyone when buying or building a new computer is to install double the "average ram" into their computers. In the days when 4mb of ram was considered alot, I was running 8mb. When the average was 1mb of ram, I was running two.

I am now running 4gb of ram in my netbook (Asus eee 701g). I am building up a computer for a friend (should be done this weekend) - it is going to be running 4gb system ram w/ 1gb of video-ram.