Prepared Society Forum banner

Slingshots .....

10K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  IlliniWarrior 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a High quality slingshot. Found the Survival Slingshot, and several others. What do you use .... recomnend?

#27 ·
Really? where the hell do you get off telling folks who have many, many years experience that they don't know what they need? You have no Idea what it takes to survive in a real world scenario, as can be seen from MOST of your other nonsense posts, therefore you are in no position to "preach" to ANYBODY about ANYTHING. As I have stated in response to another of your posts "you are a no nothing hack, that couldn't find water if you fell out of a boat", so sit your dumb ass down, stuff your face with corn chips and let REAL men and women decide what's best for them.
:congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat:

:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

:thankyou:

:kiss:

#29 ·
Really? where the hell do you get off telling folks who have many, many years experience that they don't know what they need? You have no Idea what it takes to survive in a real world scenario, as can be seen from MOST of your other nonsense posts, therefore you are in no position to "preach" to ANYBODY about ANYTHING. As I have stated in response to another of your posts "you are a no nothing hack, that couldn't find water if you fell out of a boat", so sit your dumb ass down, stuff your face with corn chips and let REAL men and women decide what's best for them.
hey camo2460 he owns a kel-tec :facepalm: my side hurts from laughing so hard.
I think in one post he said he owed a couple of them:eek:vract:

#32 ·
I agree. Take this guy "besign", he posts the most ridiculous nonsense you've ever read. It sounds like his expertise came from a cheap fiction novel. Basically a complete moron.
More than that, it is always the know-it-all attitude that comes with the people who eventually get excommunicated. There is a vein of narcissism where they think they know better than anyone else and are more than willing to put anyone and everyone else down. The thing I wonder about with someone who gets so ingrained in this personality type is that they must have had it modeled for them in their family or not had anyone who reined in that misbehavior when they were young enough to find a different way of relating to others.

Often, but not always, the offenders seems to be young men who probably really do believe in prepping, are somewhat knowledgeable and are probably loners in their own life. Who wants to hang out with someone who is always finding fault with you? Not me! Am I teachable? You bet I am, but not if the lesson comes with put downs.

The writing is often a tell tale sign of age, youth, when conventions of writing such as capital letters, punctuation, and spelling are not close to correct, due to texting.

When someone joins the forum and starts out that way of being so offensive right off the bat, I always wonder if they are using their best manners as most people do in initial encounters in life? Or is the narcissistic attitude present right away? It is almost always predictable that they will be getting excommunicated. It is just a matter of time, or the wrong comment made to them. The way to put a narcissist over the edge is to find fault with them. They can dish it, they cannot take it. The comment that took him off was pretty incredible, probably the most sensational, if that is the right word, I have ever read here.

Another way to know someone is going to get banned is to see what Grimm is saying. You are always right on, Grimm.

#33 ·
Three more slingshots in my arsenal

I like to use my slingshots everyday.
I take them with me everywhere because they are a great way to pass the time when out and about and it's fun to be plinking whatever one can find.
I use them to hunt a bit, and they are a good defensive back-up for different occasions.

I just picked up three new ones.
Each has it's pros and cons and each has it's idiosyncrasies inherent with the design.
And, each was quite inexpensive, with the cost of shipping included in the price.

This one has a wide fork which I like, and it's all stainless steel.
And they add in a fish bait (marshmallows, etc. ) leather sling pouch with it to shoot bait to the fish (carp, catfish) to bring them to the surface.
A little added bonus
This one is quite powerful depending on the bands you use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Bait-Throwing-Big-Stainless-Steel-Catapult-Slingshot-Nylon-Holster-Pouch-/121404362834

This one is one of my favorites and is quite powerful and is probably my favorite at the moment. Easy to use, carry and it comes with a carry pouch as well.
I was impressed the first few times I used it.
The Chinese bands were a bit deceptive at first, but they pack a punch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronze-Powerful-Skull-Catapult-Slingshot-Genuine-Leather-Pouch-Bag-Rubber-Band-/111409173382

And I got a Gorge Sprave Special Edition "Cougar" Slingshot that is dual band and built to last forever. This one I am just getting used to and working to adapt myself to it...
http://www.dankung.com/emart/cougar%C3%82%E2%80%9C-%C3%82%E2%80%93-the-first-%C3%82%E2%80%9Cglobal%C3%82%E2%80%9D-slingshot-primay-flatband-p-325.html

#36 ·
I knocked a squirrel out of a tree, "guess it was a lucky shot" with a marble size ball bearing. If you got hit in the head with that size steel bearing it would do so serious damage to ya. It would take a lot of practice to get really accurate with it. I am ashamed to say as a kid it put out a few windows and lobbed a few M-80's to places I don't want to mention, but they were a great tool for fun then, and a good tool now still....

#37 ·
Okay slingshotters (is that a real word?) how well does that surgical tubing hold up in subzero temperatures? I'm thinking it would get pretty brittle and break. If I am correct in that assumption, what do you use in real cold weather or do the slings go away for the season?

#38 · (Edited)
I never had a problem with the tubing in cold weather. When I was a kid I had a Wrist Rocket in my hip pocket in all kinds of weather, have taken numerous Squirrels and Rabbits and never gave it a second thought. I've used Marbles, Ball Bearings, but the best was steel punch outs from a Punch Press. Half inch tall and half inch in diameter, very deadly.

#42 ·
What's a slingshot gunna do in a survival situation
Don't under estimate a sling shot in a survival situation. It's silent, portable, and powerful. I have personally taken Squirrels, Rabbits and other small game with a sling shot, further I certainly wouldn't want to be hit in the eye with a half inch steel ball traveling at 300 feet per second. Think out side the box, survival isn't always about having the latest and greatest "tactikool" gear.

#43 · (Edited)
I agree with the other slingshot users here. I've taken many squirrels with them. Practice is the key. I was in snowy Buffalo one winter. Work was slow and I had a full basement. I bought a cheap wrist rocket, a few hundred bearings and practiced on pepsi cans. By spring there wasn't an annoying squirrel left in my neighborhood. I've always been fond of squirrel, especially squirrel dumplings.

As a kid I had an uncle who squirrel hunted with them exclusively. He was an amazing shot, I'm not in his league though.

They are handy for getting a meal quietly in a survival situation. I carry one in my bob. The slingshot and 250 ball bearings weighs less than a pound. There are many small critters I wouldn't use a gun on for security (not to mention would blow apart) and I wouldn't risk losing an arrow for them either.

Most squirrels dress out a little less than a pound. Even if I only shot at 50% accuracy that's about 100lbs of meat in a pot for 1lb of gear, not a bad return. Personally, I think I can do better than 50%.

A slingshot was part a careful plan of mine. A few years ago I went for a class in Atlanta. Posted here…

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f23/urban-escape-evasion-22131/

I spent a couple months planning. Scenario… walking home from Atlanta (>250 miles) with what I had with me. I went through all the possibilities I could envision, population centers to avoid, major river systems etc. At the end of the day I came up with 3 pieces of gear that would give me the best chance of eating on a 30 day walk with my skill sets. All 3 totaled less than 5lbs. A rigged trotline, professional grade snares and a slingshot! I already own and use all 3 and now keep them in my bob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.