Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm looking for a High quality slingshot. Found the Survival Slingshot, and several others. What do you use .... recomnend?
Barnett has several models. They can be found in sporting good stores like academy and dicks. I've seen the lower feature ones in Walmart around the air rifles. Nothing wrong with them, they just lack the extra padding and balance rods that most don't use anyway.

The prices range from $15 to over $40

Just be sure to practice a lot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok it all depends on what you wan to do with it I have 20 different slingshot models from different makers some homemade some pro levels I have some for target shooting and some for actual hunting! The first model I made has a 75 pound draw back and I have it set up to shoot arrows and it has shot them threw a hay barrel I have some that can take down squirrels at about 60 to 75 yards so figure out what you want it for and post away

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum

·
Registered
715 Posts
Seems like slingshots are more for fun that survival. Not sure how slingshots can be used for hunting anything more than a squirrel, at best, and I would think hitting a squirrel with a sling shot would be like pulling a lever on a slot machine.

And aren't these "stabilizer bars" a little overkill? How could they possibly stabilize an arm movement?

Now watch, having said that, someone is going to point me to a link for the WPSA (World Professional Slingshot Association, or the Société Internationale d'Lance-Pierres Professionnels) where people hit 9 out of 10 shots at 30 meters.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
And aren't these "stabilizer bars" a little overkill? How could they possibly stabilize an arm movement?
They're not for arm movement but it helps with wrist movement. They reduce the flip when shot. Kind of like muzzle flip only the slingshot flip will change the projectile velocity.

I would agree about them being little more than toys. Slingshot are limited in power, speed, and accuracy. Better than nothing I suppose. You would have to practice a lot and get very good if you expected to kill even rodents and birds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a slingshot with 75 puns draw back that has an arrow rest on it shoots just like a compound bow but is a lot quieter then a bow have you seen what a 75 pound draw back bow can do to a hog, deer, moose, car, armored plate, a human? It will kill just if you want to use one for survival you literally have to practice practice practice! And then if you want to customize one to shoot arrows bolts darts you will have to think outside of the box I have a all titanium slingshot (except for the bands) that will never break (trust me I've tried) they are reliable accurate hell if you buy bands for it every month and stockpile them in the long run they will be a lot creeper then a gun for survival hell you can pick your ammo off the ground! You don't need special ammo for them yah store bought ammo or marbles are more accurate then rocks but if your a good shot you can still kill with rocks!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a slingshot with 75 puns draw back that has an arrow rest on it shoots just like a compound bow but is a lot quieter then a bow have you seen what a 75 pound draw back bow can do to a hog, deer, moose, car, armored plate, a human? It will kill just if you want to use one for survival you literally have to practice practice practice! And then if you want to customize one to shoot arrows bolts darts you will have to think outside of the box I have a all titanium slingshot (except for the bands) that will never break (trust me I've tried) they are reliable accurate hell if you buy bands for it every month and stockpile them in the long run they will be a lot creeper then a gun for survival hell you can pick your ammo off the ground! You don't need special ammo for them yah store bought ammo or marbles are more accurate then rocks but if your a good shot you can still kill with rocks!

You can support 75 pounds off-center with your wrist? Sorry, but I doubt that is accurate.

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
You can support 75 pounds off-center with your wrist? Sorry, but I doubt that is accurate.
labotomi I did a little research and found that Deathdealer's claim may be accurate. Check out this site. eagleofsniperslingshot.com

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I am not a slingshot sort of guy, but a buddy of mine is and he uses one called the Y-Shot. He has well over 2 dozen slingshots and claims that one is the best. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but he is ridiculously good with it. I have no doubt he could hunt with it with great success.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
They are illegal here in NSW, Australia. BUT you can buy burley throwers that look like this .......

or you can make your own. My daughter makes her own and has been known to accidentally hit a rabbit at 20-30 yards while practicing throwing burley.

She is also a damn fine shot with a proper sling. David and Goliath style. Took her 6 months to hit the target the first time. She hasn't been out with one since bub was born though so probably would have months of relearning to do. Hers was made from plaited leather strapping and the toe of old leather work boots.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I cast my own shot #1 buck is .300 diameter some LEE round ball molds are .310 you can find them on ebay between 20 and 35 USD from --
www.leeprecision.com
with the handles separated the 2 cavity fit in a flat rate box.
any heat source that can reach 725 degrees will liquefy lead to pour well.
using wheel weights or pure lead they are effective.

Another choice is a home made Jai Alai xistera and a sufficiently
heavy ball like a golf ball or baseball
the sport has been around quite a while this is good for the young
most people and governments have no idea what it is much less
would know to illegalize it and why it is a piece of sporting equipment.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
A usefull tool fer huntin small game. Like anything else, practice, practice, practice. I buy marbles, 50 in the bag fer a buck. Make good consistent ammo. Course then there be rocks what er layin everwhere.

I got a good old wristrocket. Buy some extra bands an store em vac sealed in a bag. Also, learn ta make some homemade ones usin inner tube rubber fer bands. Not as good as the wristrocket, but ifin it all goes ta pieces the parts gonna be available.

Get good at it an ya should be able ta take game up ta bout the size a fox with a good head shot. Like I say, I use marbles, steelies would be even better an ya can get iron ore pellets offin ebay perty cheap to.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Search youtube for slingshot stuff. You'll see guys that AMAZE you with speed (or) accuracy. The top men tend to be one or the other, not both! :) rocks don't fly straight, cause they're not round. You'd have to bake clay around them and roll them between a couple of boards, very flat rocks, etc.

You'd be way, way ahead to attach a "whisker biscuit", use a trigger release, and broadhead or blunt arrows. Check youtube for Dave Cantebury's hundreds of videos.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts