Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my question. What would you consider the most advantageous ??

1. having a home alarm set to away with motion detectors on while sleeping, dogs in the bed room with ma and pa door closed .

OR

2. having a home alarm set to stay with no motion detector on, dogs on the lose??

·
265 Posts

1. having a home alarm set to away with motion detectors on while sleeping, dogs in the bed room with ma and pa door closed .

OR

2. having a home alarm set to stay with no motion detector on, dogs on the lose??
Motion detector on, with the dogs in their proper cage for the night. The more you can stop a dog from running around in a house the better. It will bark sooner, it will be very difficult for any intruder to know the size and location of the dog (preventing an intruder for 'taking care' of the dog) and last but not least, it will help prevent your dog 'having an accident' on your coach :D

V.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
One dog loose in the yard, another dog loose in the house.

Motion detectors are kinda okay but they give a lot of false alarms which can lead to other problems. If you don't have an outside dog a good motion detector might be an asset outside. I would simply get some motion sensitive outdoor lights to alert the dog. Most dogs will investigate and figure out if there might be a problem.

The outside dog may be pretty good but if you're quiet and come in downwind you can sneak past or surprise a dog (I do it quite often to my dog just for practice) although you'd have to take the dog out silently to break into a house. Otherwise the dog will be onto you as soon as you make any noise at all. A dog in the house will investigate any sound and raise a ruckus for anything it deems an intruder. A small dog that's afraid of it's own shadow works best for an indoor alarm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outdoor dog is not an option for me, since i live in the East Coast Hell HOLE.

just want some opinions on what is more advantageous

A security company monitored interior motion detector

or

Free Reign Dogs in the house.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Outdoor dog is not an option for me, since i live in the East Coast Hell HOLE.

just want some opinions on what is more advantageous

A security company monitored interior motion detector

or

Free Reign Dogs in the house.
I love the dog since I hate paying money to someone for nothing other than supposed piece of mind. We are about done paying ours off after 3 years and let me tell you it was nothing but a PITA.

·
Registered
444 Posts
^^ thanks for your input.

I gotta say home alarms are a great peice of mind when your not home .
We used to think the same thing until we had incorrectly configured motion sensors that our animals would set up after the company told us they would not, we the whole system go flaky and start sending false alarms and the company sat by and said oh well it is your problem.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Our dog is either outside in nice weather or inside in bad weather. In either case, she's not tied up. When inside, she knows to stay in her designated spot but will come out of it if something is wrong.

She'll also join me at the front door if there's a knock or the doorbell rings. I can get her at attention and ready to scrap on command. Outside, if you come inside her invisible fence area (which she deems hers) and she doesn't know you.... well... don't until/unless I call her off first.

I don't care for inside alarms when we're home. Between the dog, S&W, Glock and Mossberg, we're pretty well covered.

Outdoor motion detectors are around the house perimeter which is a great help.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
From the view of a security guard I don't care much for alarm systems. We had difficulties getting the police to respond because there were so many false alarms. Where I worked the security company called us and we checked it out then called the police if needed. In five years we NEVER had a legitimate alarm go off. Had thousands of false ones though.

The fire department wouldn't even send a truck out for a fire alarm. They'd send a police car to verify that there was really a fire first. Too many false alarms.

If you have too many false alarms the local law enforcement will probably start charging you for responding to false alarms.

·
Pincushion
278 Posts
I like letting my boxers roam inside my house. (They usually keep me in their sight anyway.) I just make sure that there is no food available to them. If someone were to break into my house, I would want my dogs to respond, since my kids' rooms are on the other end or the house. The dogs confronting a BG would give me more time to arm myself before responding.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I’m pretty happy with the dog loose in the house over an alarm system. I figure someone trying to break in hears a large dog barking, well, there are easier places to break into. They do not know what kind of dog or if they will bite so move on. If not they get to listen to me pumping a round into the chamber of a shotgun.

I also heard that about false alarms and charging for them after a certain amount.

I am saving for some solar motion-activated security lights for the perimeter. Anyone know of any that will play a recorded message?

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
I am saving for some solar motion-activated security lights for the perimeter. Anyone know of any that will play a recorded message?
Why solar? I keep mine in under the soffets to protect them from the weather.

I've never heard of any that would play a message but have heard of setups that activate a brief alarm in the house once one of the lights come on. Not an annoying alarm per se, but enough so you know it's been tripped.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Why Solar? I don’t have electric way out back and can’t afford to run wires there. With wireless I am able to place them where I would like them, not limited by electric access. The alarm sound is more of an afterthought for chasing off deer. Not only would it alert the dog and I to something or someone out back but help take care of deer feeding in my yard.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Depends on the personality of the dog, mine would sell me out for an ear scratch or a treat. I would be better off with a motion detector.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would do alarm on windows and doors only, not tied to an alarm co., just another waste of money IMO, by the time the cops get there anything happening will be over anyway. The alarm to startle the intruder and he doesn't know it doesn't contact a company,and it lets you know for sure that some one is trying to get in, dogs I keep just in the kitchen, if they really want to they can get to the other rooms,motion detector lights all around the house. 12 ga and 38 special have the rest. Also I would make sure the alarm has an audible horn outside the house, the louder the better, heck if the alarm horn is loud enough it could deter anyone just by the noise level alone!

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts

OR

I'd honestly go for option 2. Dogs are very keen on watching over their family, and a dog's frivolous or even it's warning bark sounds a lot different compared to the noise it makes when it is prepared to fight for it's life. You WILL know the difference and you WILL wake up.

Plus, frankly, motion detectors set up far too many false alarms. When I was a kid my parents had one at their business, and so much as a stray cat walking by in the wrong place would summon the police. This alarm was set at the loosest possible setting and it STILL gave so many false positives that the police eventually requested people stop using them. Even if not attached to a police warning system; do you really want to get awakened every time a raccoon goes dumpster diving in your trash?

Go for some door/window alarms... heck you can even use a cheapie from Wal-Mart that ties around the door handle to a peg; door opens, it breaks and goes off. 5 dollars, and even the toy ones kids use for their rooms will work wonders for advance warning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all your responses. I have been letting the dogs loose, to roam where every they want to, they still sleep in our room.

Here is a little story, real little i promise.

The wife went to bed about half an hour before me the other night, dogs went up with her. So when i was heading up, all i did was turn the back door handle, because i didnt want to wake anyone up. You know how a door handle will click when you turn it, Well our big boy dog heard that little click and came hauling ass down from upstairs.

So it works.:congrat:

·
265 Posts
...You know how a door handle will click when you turn it, Well our big boy dog heard that little click and came hauling ass down from upstairs.

So it works.:congrat:
Did he bark? Or did he just run to the door?

V.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He barked like there was someone breaking in, he charged all the way up to me, and had me pinned against the door (not really but i waited against the door to see what he would do) it was dark and he barked/growled all the way till he touched my hands.

i was impressed.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Depends on the personality of the dog, mine would sell me out for an ear scratch or a treat. I would be better off with a motion detector.
I actually laughed out loud at this reply by Sail...I raised great Danes years ago and people would want to buy one for security...I always told them this.." If you had a Lab and A Grt Dane, the Lab would show the burglar where the TV was, the Great Dane would carry it to his car!"... I loved them but guard dogs they ain't ...they were very dangerous tho with that big tail wagging so hard...:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.