Silencers

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Canadian, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I was introduced to this site by fellow members at a Canadian gun forum. It turns out that silencers are legal in 34 states in the United States. I'd love to have one but they are prohibited in Canada. As a survival tool I think a silencer would be awesome.

Advanced Armament :: Home

If you've used one do they live up to the hype? How do they handle and do they reduce noise as much as advertised? Next time I'm in the U.S. I'd love to try one.

Nae Kid

I figured their welder would be your kind of girl. Here's a picture of her. You likey?

[​IMG]

I'll be taking a vacation to Florida this winter. Are they legal in Florida? It might be a good chance to try one while I'm there. I'd also like to try full auto if that's legal in Florida as well.

Peace!

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Go through Kentucky I believe both are legal there. Some of the residents of that state already have ship that our army doesn't even have. I've seen welders there that look like that too. There is a gun shop off I65 south of Louisville and north of Elizabethtown that rents fully automatic weapons for shooting at the range behind their shop.:)

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Damn Canadian - if I took her home to momma, momma would probably run away screaming ...

I likey!! :2thumb:

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

You are correct on that :beercheer: I do like it here c&c and open carry. You do have to pass a back round check and regst. both. Long as you dot all the i's and cross all the t's you can get them and use them, :2thumb: welder :2thumb:

5. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Nah, silencers are mostly just hype. People always expect them to work like you see on movies. You know, that barely audible thud.

But in reality, they only reduce the noise very slightly, making your gun just below the safe audible level for use without hearing protection. Generally you will get results of around 130 - 140 decibles with just about any caliber. The OSHA safety cutoff level is 140 db.

Using subsonic ammunition will drop the level slightly, but you will be firing a bullet with less velocity, making it less effective.

6. Canadian

Maybe it's just hype but I still want to give it a try. It's totally illegal here so that makes me want to do it even more. I've also never fired full auto. Just more fun stuff to do on the vacation.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. Fn/Form

Fn/Form Function over Form

Suppressors are great in a lot of ways. Very good flash suppression, reduces boom of a rifle to a crack if you're using supersonic (nice if you shoot on your own land around sensitive neighbors), and subsonic can be surprisingly quiet--with the action cycling as loud as the actual firing.

.22, 9mm, 7.62, .45, etc. Bolt guns can be very discrete.

One local built a suppressed 7.62x39 AR-15 that uses 200gr bullets. He loves it for hunting hogs.

A suppressed .22 is favored for niche military/SWAT applications... everything from taking out lights and dogs to people.

You WILL get a much dirtier gun, piston or no. Some short-barrel firearms work more reliably with a suppressor, as it increases the backpressure. FA suppressed gets reeeally dirty.

Better to have a suppressed/subsonic indoors, too.

ETA: ugly chick. throw it back.

8. Canadian

I think a .22 would be fun.

9. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

lol oh man silencers are so disappointing; a friend of mine lives in Nevada and they are legal there so she has one for an ar and one for a 92, so 556 and 9mm. I knew they weren't going to be like the movies where you can fire a gun in the living room and no one in the house hears but they really were nothing like quiet.

As far as full auto goes.. hehe super awesome. I'm hoping to buy land in either nv or maybe or but both states allow full auto!! If you're ever in the mood to droll... lol look at these:

Machine Guns at Impact Guns Home

10. stompk

stompk Member

I have 2. 30 cal and 22
    I'm quite happy with them. the other posters are correct in that they are not "tv quiet", but i can fire my 22 in the next room and my wife asks me what i dropped. it sounds about like dropping a book on a desk. very "un-gun" like.
    my 30 call makes my 308 (175gr 44gr varget) sounds about like a 22 short. 308 subsonics are just about like a book slammed on a desk. if i fire it downstairs, my wife wont hear it upstairs (w tv or radio on. normal day)

my buddy has the 9mm pistol one on a glock, and it's not quiet quiet, but it doesnt sound at ALL like a gun. more like a hammer on an anvil. like a metallic clank. someone might hear it, but one round wouldn't set off alarm bells.

i hope this first hand account helps.

11. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

I rented a special on silencers and technically they are for changing the sound of a gun shot to mask it so when it is heard someone brushes it off as something else other than a gun shot.

12. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

I think the use of archery equipment for Survival is way under rated. There is no paperwork, registry, or tracing of such equipment.

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I agree. I started rebuilding my archery arsenal last year. I had it stolen :mad: in 1989 and never replaced it. Last year I bought 2 recurve's, 2 compound, and about 80 arrows. All from CL and flea markets. One of the compound's I traded even up for one of my older leaf blowers.

14. billr

billr New Member

I own four suppressors as well as fully automatic weapons, one of which accepts a suppressor. They are actually very fun, and not at all useless or hype. When I'm up at the cabin, we shoot all the time. Neighbors don't care a bit.

They also reduce recoil considerably. I much prefer shooting my Sig P220 with the suppressor on, for example. My young nephew likes to shoot my .22s with the can attached.

They do indeed make the weapon very, very dirty.

Some cans work best when "wet", which is when a bit of oil or some such is placed in the suppressor.

The .45 round is large enough that it doesn't suppress well, even though the regular 230 grain bullet is subsonic. The reason is that the bore is big enough such that a small column of gas escapes the suppressor body without being slowed by the baffles. That column is traveling above the speed of sound, and so a suppressed .45 still makes considerable noise. The 9mm suppresses very, very well. A .22 will also suppress nicely. I shoot both supersonic and subsonic .22 and there's actually not too much difference.

I personally prefer GemTech silencers, but AAC makes good ones as well.

15. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

A .22 will also suppress nicely. I shoot both supersonic and subsonic .22 and there's actually not too much difference.

I like the BB rounds for the 22 LR for culling rabbits in my front lower 40. They sound like a pellet gun for the report. Doesn't bother the neighbors at all. Unfortunately they will not cycle my 10-22.:2thumb:

16. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

SnakeDoc, What kind of arrows do you recommend, I have a 60# recurve from my childhood and traded for a cross bow. I need arrows for both.:confused: I also had a thread going for the best survival gun, a flint lock as a suggestion. They aren't called in either.

17. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

A muzzleloader (black powder rifle) is an alright choice. The downside is the noise, reduced range, reduced accuracy, and slow reload time. compared to a standard rifle.

A crossbow is good because it lets you aim more comfortably than a compound bow. The downside again is the reload time. Depending on the model, you will need to either wind a crank or stand on a loop at the end and pull back the string manually before loading your next shot. Whereas with a bow and arrow, you can reload in seconds.

18. CherokeeCat

CherokeeCat Member

I've not fired a gun with a silencer and have always wondered how much they effect accuracy/distance of a given caliber?

19. stompk

stompk Member

they have the affect of lengthening the barrel. so it increases muzzle velocity and tends to have a stabilizing effect as well. the consensus of people i've spoken with all agree that our suppressed rifles are more accurate (using normal ammo. suppressed is obviously less of a performer).

also, I've noticed that a suppressor is the best muzzle brake you can buy and not only reduces recoil, but doesn't pound the guy next to you like a big V on the ar-50 does.
    I've shot cans on .22 to .416 and .50 and am a fan.

20. CherokeeCat

CherokeeCat Member

Stompk- thanks for the reply and info!