SHTF - Forest Base - Space Blankets

Discussion in 'General Survival Discussion' started by IcemanUnlimited, May 18, 2012.

1. IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited Free Man

Let's say USA is invaded by China or Russia or something crazy. All out war, or even revolution within the country. You decide to take up shelter in the woods.

Would using Space Blankets as a tent roof keep you hidden from overhead thermal vision by recon aircraft?

2. echo1432

echo1432 Member

No, in fact you would stand out. Good thermal imaging these days, the blanket would act like a mirror. It would stick out like you wouldn't believe. Your best bet would be to try to the match the surrounding terrain. I would suggest building a roof using logs and covering it with dirt and the natural vegetation that surrounds the area (if there is moss, cover it with moss and so on).

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Key word here be "Thermal". Ya either gotta be the same temp as yer surrondins er make the surrondins the same temp as yall. Then ya gotta change yer shape a bit to. Not easy ta do.

We use thermal imagin at work alot an it be quite a impressive tool, even the lower end units what we have will show so much. The stuff the goobernuts an enforcement have would be much more refined. Perty hard ta defeat.

4. IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited Free Man

Ah, interesting. I read an article earlier today saying the Taliban sometimes wrap themselves in space blankets, making them very hard to detect with thermal vision. That's how they infiltrated some base or something a while ago.

Anyways, it's good to know that the tent idea won't work. lol

5. echo1432

echo1432 Member

Its an excellent question, unfortunately until you get to play with a good thermal camera its hard to understand (at least it was for me).

Since tents can be a simple USGI wool blank held up by sticks or a high speed nylon material it's hard to say exactly how well it would blend in. Making a simple lean to and covering it with earth would be your best bet. Not sure why the government would be looking for people with thermal in a forest, unless thats like your Half-Life style resistance 'white forest' base.

6. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

In one word: camouflage

I saw photos of someone's retreat that was virtually invisible to people driving right by it. It blended right into the surroundings and looked like the rest of the surrounding area.

If you have a building, a green roof is much more likely to blend in than a red one.

In Vietnam, our soldiers would walk right over tunnel entrances and they were so well disguised they wouldn't even see them.

So if you were to build or want to take cover, avoiding symmetrical and shiny would be best. Natural materials are best.

7. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

A space blanket would probably help, but like others have said it's best to blend in with your surroundings. Covering up the space blanket with some type of camouflage would be better than just leaving the foil exposed. I've seen aerial photos of landscapes taken with infrared cameras and I think it would probably be better to pitch a tent under a tree because the leaves and branches would help cover and conceal you.

Some of the spy drone planes are equipped with thermal imaging cameras.

8. echo1432

echo1432 Member

Oh that I a aware, I guess I don't know in what situation you think you will find yourself on the run from the government and need to hide from ariel platforms

9. Tjaway6

Tjaway6 Member

Thermal camo

One point to consider is insulation. Imagine standing 5 feet away from a red hot anvil. You'd feel the heat on your face. Now put some fiberglass insulation between yourself and the anvil. You can't feel that heat anymore. The more material between you and the detector the less of your signature will show. That's one reason the bad guys in Afganistan hide in caves.

Let's hope we never have to put this kind of info to actual use!

10. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

our fire department has a thermal imaging device. it can detect where a person has touched a place for several minutes after depending on the ambient air temp. so if you were running we could possibly follow your heat trail.

11. VUnder

VUnder Well-Known Member

Really, the best bet is to set everything you see on fire. Every private citizen needs to have this plan. Burn houses, vehicles, burn it all. The only way I think you can have a chance to survive is to fill the atmosphere with so much smoke that you can offer yourself some protection. Maybe if we are lucky an asteroid or meteor strike will happen, or maybe a volcano will start belching, along with the earthquakes that are already in The Book. Look up homeland security // blimps. Eleven blimps, each one is seventeen times larger than the goodyear blimp, with cameras that cover 650 miles, and are hovering over us right now, running on solar power, un-manned. Now, why did they give law enforcement all the old tv system?

12. LongRider

LongRider Well-Known Member

Interesting. We built an enclosed heated porch around our house. One of the things I was told was the heated space would help mask/blur our heat signature inside the house. That was incorrect?

13. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Our thermal camera's be good ta a tenth of a degree. The closer yer body temp be ta the ambient temp the less of yer heat signature will show. But there ain't much a anythin what will make ya invisible ta them camera's.

Yeah, ya can see foot prints on carpet, hand prints on walls. There a neat tool an perty hard ta fool.

14. eldarbeast

eldarbeast O.o I drank wha?-Socrates

Cover your shelter with six inches of water. Reflects radar, defeats thermal and provides limited protection from radiation. Can be used to sustain life, water your garden and your livestock.

eldar

15. md1911

md1911 Member

Sounds like a good idea.

16. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen Well-Known Member

Materials reflect and radiate heat at different rates. Even the leaves of different species of trees radiate heat at different rates.

Erecting a space blanket and attempting to hide your heat signature underneath it doesn't work. Your heat will radiate out the sides. If the blanket is touching you, a hot spot will show where it touches. Even if no heat is radiated, being that different materials radiate at different levels, the rectangle shape of your blanket can be picked up by a good IR operator. Even disturbed earth will show.

Out foxing the goon squad and their latest generation IR capability will be very difficult for most, if not impossible.

17. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

we use our device during and after a fire to find hot spots. we have found some spot still "hot after putting 1000's of gallons of water on the house. even water will absorb the heat around it.masking against these devices means to enlarge the heat area to the point that it does seem out place or looks to large to be a single person. to me the best place would be a hollow tree.

18. Ration-AL

Ration-AL Well-Known Member

you make a mouse trap they just make a better mouse, try and get your hands on this stuff
    http://www.defensereview.com/bluche...mouflage-for-21st-century-warfare-operations/

and use it with a space blanket, space blankets must be mylar one side, tarp material on the other, this slows down the heat sinking through.

layer, space blanket followed by ghost suit material if you can get it, if not use the material found in ghillie suits and put a spacer of some sort between the ghillie and the space blanket, this allows for air to flow between the two and keeps heat sig's down, the trick to this is to deploy it right when you need it, no sooner as heat transfer begins to happen and it's only a matter of time until anything you do becomes a white hot beacon for them to track.

that's what i've come up with in my research on this topic at least.

without
    [​IMG]

nothing but space blanket
    [​IMG]
    also this for some reason
    [​IMG]

19. d_saum

d_saum ExCommunicated

I dont care who you are... that's FUNNY! :D

20. IcemanUnlimited

IcemanUnlimited Free Man

Forgot about this thread. lol

Yeah, well the thermal pics show that it seems to help, but not totally rid you of your heat signature.